BYRDS (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I have the normal remaster not the deluxe, great album as all the Byrds albums are:)

Normally I listen to their early stuff mainly 5D, Younger Than Yesterday & The Notorious Byrd Brothers, since those albums have more of an edge to them musically.
Some of the tracks from Byrdmanix let the album down, only to recover with the bonus tracks and there is some good music on Byrdmanix too.
The only album I haven't got is the album The Byrds did in the early 70s after the original band line-up got back together, though I read it wasn't all that great. Unfortunately I cannot really pass comment after listening to that album.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
SWEEEEEET!!! Listening!! Yeah they CRAM a LOT on those legacy edition discs :eek:

Yep the Byrds I think took a leaflet out of the Beatles book and wanted to experiment big time with a lot of their tracks just to see what sort of sounds they produce.

I think out of all of the Byrds albums I've got the album which has some very interesting alternative tracks from the main album tracks is "Ballard of Easy Rider". I tend to program my CD player to play the long version of "Ballard of Easy Rider" and there's an alternative version of "Oil in my Lamp" which I enjoy more than the album version with the group singing as a collective, which just seems to sound better.

Kickstart

Reaction score
Have You Seen Her Face

Since i first heard that song three days ago I'm completely obsessed with it, can't get it out of my head

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Been listening to the "Mr. Tambourine Man" set.I know the word "groovy" was quite prominent in those days to describe anything hip or whatever,but the term applies magnificently here.There IS a certain "groove" to most of the band's work here that helps deliver not only a good volume of worthwhile numbers,but a projection of true band unity of spirit,a chemistry that I believe was very "Beatlesque" in its representation of the necessity of this ingredient in any truly "great" group.........

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I only have their Greatest Hits album but there's so many classics in there! 8 Miles High is probably my favourite.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Getting acquainted with the Byrds' with "Greatest Hits" is very much akin to one first learning the Beatles' many creative periods by listening to 1962-66 or 1967-70.Its sure to arouse great curiosity about what the studio albums sound like.And just like with the Fabs,one will be thrilled with results of the desire to delve deeper into the band's seminal career............

The Kid

Hey Mr. Tambourine Man
Reaction score
I love the Byrds and especially the harmonies of David Crosby and the 12 string Rickenbacker Guitar sound.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Normally I listen to their early stuff mainly 5D, Younger Than Yesterday & The Notorious Byrd Brothers, since those albums have more of an edge to them musically.
Some of the tracks from Byrdmanix let the album down, only to recover with the bonus tracks and there is some good music on Byrdmanix too.
The only album I haven't got is the album The Byrds did in the early 70s after the original band line-up got back together, though I read it wasn't all that great. Unfortunately I cannot really pass comment after listening to that album.

I do love the early albums and the later ones have their own signatures, Byrdmaix has been slated by many people but it wasn't that bad and worth having for the collection. I will pick it up sometime soon just don't want to pay a fortune for it. Great band live:grinthumb

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I love the Byrds and especially the harmonies of David Crosby and the 12 string Rickenbacker Guitar sound.

Roger played that 12 string on the Beach Boys version of California Dreamin' and appeared in the video too.

I've only got a couple digital singles from the Byrds, Turn Turn Turn & My Back Pages, which are just classic tunes.

Really a great band, but 60's music is before my time & I never got strong into a lot of it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.