Black Sabbath (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I was playing my Mint vinyl copy of their debut last night, what a fantastic debut album it was over 40 years ago now.:bow:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't call Born Again a classic but it is a good underrated album.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
^ Wasn't there a one track difference between the European & US releases?

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
At the time, my friends and I were thinking Paranoid was the perfect heavy rock album. Although, by the late seventies, I probably preferred the first album. The others were patchy. Sabotage was amazing, but, initially, was only available as an import for some strange reason. Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy were major disappointments, but Sabbath redeemed themselves with Heaven and Hell. Iommi and Butler did seem symbiotic at times.

I remember Gillan hosting a radio show and announcing that he was a 'paid-up member' of Black Sabbath. Xero the Hero had some radio play and seemed pretty good. The Reading festival performance seemed a bit odd with good live versions of the Born Again tracks, but Iommi playing the Smoke on the Water riff and Gillan singing, "Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind . . " It would have been interesting if Iommi and Gillan could have weathered the storm and made at least one more album together.

Despite amazing singers in Ian Gillan, Ray Gillen and Glenn Hughes, Black Sabbath did not release another great album until Tyr with Tony Martin. Apparently Cozy Powell ensured Martin's place in the band.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I honestly can't complain about any of the Sabbath albums I own, each has something that grabs and holds my attention. I think I need about three of the later albums to complete the studio collection. The first six will always be special for me though and I think "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is my stand out choice at a push. The first two offerings with R J D are just brilliant and what a way to usher in the 80's. I think the band played a huge part in creating a sound that inspired a generation (or two). For me one of the greatest forces in rock ever. :bow:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Bodes well for seeing them in December, however I never doubted they will be good based on how they have been in the past and they are brilliant..:)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I remember Gillan hosting a radio show and announcing that he was a 'paid-up member' of Black Sabbath. Xero the Hero had some radio play and seemed pretty good. The Reading festival performance seemed a bit odd with good live versions of the Born Again tracks, but Iommi playing the Smoke on the Water riff and Gillan singing, "Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind . . " It would have been interesting if Iommi and Gillan could have weathered the storm and made at least one more album together.

The crowd at Reading Festival during Smoke on the Water and Paranoid were fantastic though. On a remastered album from 2011 they included the concert from there and you can hear how loud they were. They still did good shows and such, even with Bev Bevan on drums!

Speaking of Born Again, here is Gillan and Iommi telling some interesting stories from that period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've seen that video before (it's from Heavy Metal Britannia or sometihng similar), but I do not remember Joe Elliott's comments - which are like Tracey Emin criticising Michaelangelo.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I've seen that video before (it's from Heavy Metal Britannia or sometihng similar), but I do not remember Joe Elliott's comments - which are like Tracey Emin criticising Michaelangelo.

It's not. It comes from 'Highway Star – A Journey in Rock' documentary.
Highway Star

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online