TONY IOMMI Has Begun Remixing BLACK SABBATH's 'Forbidden' Album For 2019 Release

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
tonyiommihappynewyeardec2018_638.jpg
Tony Iommi says that he has begun remixing BLACK SABBATH's 1995 album "Forbidden" for a 2019 release. The LP, which features singer Tony Martin, drummer Cozy Powell and bassist Neil Murray, is often regarded as the band's worst studio recording.

"Next year will be the 'Forbidden' album coming out, which we're remixing at the moment — [engineer] Mike Exeter an myself," Tony said in a video message posted to his Facebook page on Saturday (December 29). "And it's been interesting to pull that apart and at least try and get some bigger sounds on it, as it should be. I know Cozy was never happy with his drum sound, and none of us were really happy with the sound of that album. So hopefully now it will be sounding better."

BLACK SABBATH started working on "Forbidden" in Par Street Studios in Liverpool, England in 1994 and completed most of the recording sessions over a 10-day period at Devonshire Studios in Los Angeles with producer and BODY COUNT guitarist Ernie C. The LP's opening track, "The Illusion Of Power", features a guest appearance by BODY COUNT frontman Ice-T.

In a 2011 interview with Gibson.com, Martin stated about "Forbidden": "Well, 'Forbidden' is I want to say 'crap,' but it's actually not. The songs worked really well in rehearsals, and then things started to get political, and I got wind of an Ozzy [Osbourne] reunion [with SABBATH] — not from SABBATH directly, of course. But before that came, there was a meeting at the SABBATH offices in London to which we were summoned to discuss the possibility of doing a RUN-D.M.C. type of album. I thought it wouldn't work, and voiced that. Cozy Powell thought it wouldn't work. I was never sure that most of the others were convinced, but we were kinda steered into a 'rap SABBATH' album. Then I was told that Ice-T was gonna be doing it and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me if he was doing the whole thing or just one track... and I still didn't know the answer to that when I was in the studio singing the tracks. They said they were gonna take it and see what Ice-T wanted to do. So it has a distinct ill feeling about it. The album eventually didn't really work, although some fans love it. And it was the penultimate album to my being removed from the band, the last album to be released being 'Sabbath Stones', a compilation album, which kept my name in the band to span 10 years and six albums."

BLACK SABBATH released six albums with Tony Martin on vocals: "The Eternal Idol" (1987), "Headless Cross" (1989), "Tyr" (1990), "Cross Purposes" (1994), "Cross Purposes Live" (1995) and "Forbidden" (1995).

SABBATH completed its last major tour in February 2017 with two shows in Birmingham, closing out the quartet's groundbreaking 49-year career.

The trek was the band's last because Iommi, who was diagnosed with cancer in late 2011 and is currently in remission, can no longer travel for extended amounts of time. But he has said he would not rule out special events or one-off shows.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
A great many people consider this to be the worst or one of the worst Sabbath albums. I don't think that remixing this is going to fix the problems that many people have

Or are there people out there that don't like it simply because of the sound?

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
As far as Sabbath albums, it could be the worst, but it's still a Black Sabbath album, so it's a good album.

I'm not sure what remixing will accomplish.

If anything, it's 13 that needs remixing.

doswizard

"If you are going through hell, keep going"
Reaction score
I have only one thing to say.

Black Sabbath without Ozzy does not Suck!

In fact, they are more Heavy Metal than ever Before!

:cc:

E-Z

Reaction score
Granted Tony 'the cat' Martin's voice is shot by the time it was time to record FORBIDDEN compared to his voice on THE ETERNAL IDOL but leaving that a side I actually liked FORBIDDEN when I first heard it back in 1995 and I personally prefer it to the previous album CROSS PURPOSES. FORBIDDEN actually features some pretty good songs on it including the track featuring rapper Ice-T which I personally thought was pretty good as a one off experiment.

Hopefully the re-issued FORBIDDEN will included the bonus track THE LOSER WINS IT ALL which was recorded at the same sessions as the FORBIDDEN album and was included on THE SABBATH STONES compilation cd.

I thought that Tony had vetoed the release of both FORBBIDEN and TYR in the past as both albums not being up to snuff as Black Sabbath albums??.

E-Z

Last edited:

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Tony, please, do the same with "Headless Cross" and "Tyr". These great albums sounds too soft, it MUST be heavier!

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
A great many people consider this to be the worst or one of the worst Sabbath albums. I don't think that remixing this is going to fix the problems that many people have

Or are there people out there that don't like it simply because of the sound?

Exactly. A bad album is not going to get any better by remixing it.

While certainly far from one of my favourite Sabbath albums, I don't hate the album at all, but granted, I rarely listen to it either.

E-Z

Reaction score
In Britain you can't find FORBIDDEN anywhere it disappeared from the cd racks about 20 years ago plus I thought that Tony had withdrawn his permission on it being re-issued again although I just assumed that I am not sure if that is correct though??.

Cozy Powell ex-Rainbow plays drums on it from memory and maybe Neil Murray ex-Whitesnake plays bass on it as well.

E-Z

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find me a copy of Forbidden on CD but would be happy to see it re-released. The album is not as bad as it got panned.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online