Best heavy metal band of the 80's

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Who was the best heavy metal band of the 80's?

That is funny...lol.

I gather that now there is a state of peace between Hetfield & Co. and Mustaine, but there is so much history between the two bands that they'll be linked in music history forever.;)

Here's another one, Peace Sells, But Who's Buying?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

That is funny...lol.

I gather that now there is a state of peace between Hetfield & Co. and Mustaine, but there is so much history between the two bands that they'll be linked in music history forever.;)

Here's another one, Peace Sells, But Who's Buying?

Best Song (IMO) from Peace Sells...

:oy:

F

FoxyPage

Sorry Magic, but DL simply is not as heavy as the bands I listed, especially Priest who I consider the Heaviest of the NWOBHM, DL is not part of that group of bands. I'm not saying they don't rock, but Heavy Metal...I don't think so it was not their niche. VH and DL are both similar, just a lighter flavor of metal in my books.;)

You're actually wrong. Judas Priest began in 1969. The NWOBHM period came about in the late 70's. JP arrived way before the movement. People just keep sticking them in the category because they fail to realize that JP are older and became more successful later on but they aren't part of the NWOBHM.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

I'd never heard of this NWOBHM acronym until I saw Lord Grendel using it. For what it's worth, here is the first writeup that popped up:

Wikipedia said:
The New Wave of British Heavy Metal (frequently abbreviated as NWOBHM) was a heavy metal movement that started in the late 1970s, in Britain, and achieved international attention by the early 1980s. Sometimes compared to Beatlemania,[1] the era developed as a reaction in part to the decline of early heavy metal bands such as Deep Purple, Queen, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.[2] NWOBHM bands toned down the blues influences of earlier acts, incorporated elements of punk, increased the tempo, and adopted a "tougher" sound, taking a harder approach to its music.[2] It was a scene directed almost exclusively at heavy metal fans. The era is considered to be a major foundation stone for the extreme metal genres with acts such as Metallica citing NWOBHM bands like Saxon, Def Leppard, Diamond Head, and Iron Maiden as a major influence on their musical style.

"NWOBHM bands toned down the blues influences of earlier acts...."

That would probably explain where these NWOBHM bands lost me early on.

"...incorporated elements of punk...."

Huh?! I just don't see that. Punk rock bands weren't into glam theatrics or navel gazing guitar pyrotechnics - and that was precisely the specialty of those latter bands!

:drums:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You're actually wrong. Judas Priest began in 1969. The NWOBHM period came about in the late 70's. JP arrived way before the movement. People just keep sticking them in the category because they fail to realize that JP are older and became more successful later on but they aren't part of the NWOBHM.

Sorry Foxy you are the one who is wrong, Judas Priest didn't accomplish anything Until the mid 70's, and they are acknowledged as a Massively important band in the movement, check out the Priest thread, I suspect you are just looking for a manufactured argument cause I wasn't showing DL the love you think they deserve.

JP, Maiden, Saxon are all important bands from that era, but JP is the most innovative of their time.

taha

Reaction score

Don't know about the best group, but 2 of the best LP's were Empire and MindCrime from Q'Ryche, so maybe Ryche was one of the best.
:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree Taha, I am posting the Queensryche thread tonight, dedicated to You.:grinthumb

I have Operation Mindcrime in my Top 10 Metal albums of all time, I love the whole CD.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

This video SCREAMS NWOBHM :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

:heheh:...I write a three sentence response, and you accomplish the same thing with a few words and a great song.:grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

:heheh:...I write a three sentence response, and you accomplish the same thing with a few words and a great song.:grinthumb

:heheh: I hate labeling bands by era.. Genre.. success... etc.. I just push play and enjoy the ride..:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online