Allman Brothers Band (Official Thread)

gguerra

Reaction score
Allman Brothers 9-23-70 Fillmore East

Found this recently and I thought I would share with the truly die hard Allman Brothers fans. This one features Duane and Greg together in their heydey. The mix and camera work could be better but the music comes through.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Found this recently and I thought I would share with the truly die hard Allman Brothers fans. This one features Duane and Greg together in their heydey. The mix and camera work could be better but the music comes through.

Great video! Why not post it directly in the Allman Brothers thread? Well, I've moved it here! :D

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score

Thanks for the post gguerra. :grinthumb Especially love the early Duane Allman era stuff from them. Excellent 70's jam band:)

Radagast

Reaction score
Southern Rock

IMO, The Allman Brothers Band are the Standard for Southern Rock. The Marshall Tucker Band would come next in line.

Lynyrd Skynyrd and such were never on my to buy list. Don't wish to explain as it may tend to offend other members.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
IMO, The Allman Brothers Band are the Standard for Southern Rock. The Marshall Tucker Band would come next in line.

Lynyrd Skynyrd and such were never on my to buy list. Don't wish to explain as it may tend to offend other members.

The thing is, while there probably wouldn't be any southern rock without The Allman Brothers, their old material is much more blues oriented than what is generally considered southern rock today. Skynyrd took their inspiration from The Allmans, Buffalo Springfield (3 guitars), British rock bands like the Stones, The Beatles, etc. and growing up with country music, combined all of that and basically created southern rock.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Allman Brothers and their importance cannot be overstated, BUT again, for me personally, they are not the ultimate SOUTHERN ROCK band.

Feel free to post your thoughts on Skynyrd, Radagast, as long as you keep it civil, nobody will get offended - and even if they do, you have the right to your opinion.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
the Allman Brothers Band are f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-fabulous yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

JimJam

Reaction score
The Allmans are my idea of the ultimate in Southern rock and, along with the Dead, the ultimate in jam bands.

The comparison tends to be the Allmans versus Skynyrd but one was a jam band and the other was not and that's a big distinction. Free Bird is really more of an extended and controlled rave-up than a jam but it's probably the closest the original band came to a jam. The Allmans of course had a slew of great songs minus the jams in their studio recordings but the big difference in the approaches of the two bands came in their concerts.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
The Allmans are my idea of the ultimate in Southern rock and, along with the Dead, the ultimate in jam bands.

The comparison tends to be the Allmans versus Skynyrd but one was a jam band and the other was not and that's a big distinction. Free Bird is really more of an extended and controlled rave-up than a jam but it's probably the closest the original band came to a jam. The Allmans of course had a slew of great songs minus the jams in their studio recordings but the big difference in the approaches of the two bands came in their concerts.
add blackberry smoke too!:hillbilly:music

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.