Allman Brothers Band (Official Thread)

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Duane died 46 years ago today. :uh:

View attachment 21709

Yeah a sad day in music.
November 11th for Barry Oakley 3 blocks away.
Whenever I hear about this stuff I cringe.
For years his death was used as a warning to bikers.
And Barry's.

Reminds that if you ride and you are alive you've been lucky.
So many close scrapes.
Last week a lady pulled right in front of me.
Very early morning before sunup and an SUV is sitting in the suicide lane with directional blinking waiting to make a left into a woman's gym. As I get to about 30 yards from her she goes ahead and pulls in front of me. I lock up the brakes screetching the tires and hearing that she stops right in the middle of the lane.
I let off the front brake and slide the rear end around and pump the break. I breeze past her inches away from her back fender. I jumped off the bike and ran over and kicked her door. Felt bad about it later but at the moment I was so ******* pissed I couldn't see straight. It was night and I had a headlight and running lights. She must have been sitting there texting and just never looked.

Last edited:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Duane died 46 years ago today. :uh:

View attachment 21709

Yeah a sad day in music.
November 11th for Barry Oakley 3 blocks away.
Whenever I hear about this stuff I cringe.
I've been so damn lucky.
So many close scrapes.
Last week a lady pulled right in front of me.
Very early morning before sunup and an SUV is sitting in the suicide lane with directional blinking waiting to make a left into a woman's gym. As I get to about 30 yards from her she goes ahead and pulls in front of me. I lock up the brakes screetching the tires and she stops right in the middle of the lane.
I let off the front brake and slide the rear end around and pump the break. I breeze past her inches away from her back fender. I jumped of the bike and ran over and kicked a giant dent into her door. Felt bad about it later but at the moment I was so ******* pissed I couldn't see straight.

Two Iconic Musicians and Fellow Bikers....R.I.P Dunne and Barry

E-Z

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe I read many years ago that Duane was the first major rock musician who had a double vinyl retrospective gatefold album released in his honour which appeared on Polydor records in 1972 called the Duane Allman Anthology. Apparently the piece that I read about this from also went on to say that because the double album contained the full length studio version of Derek & the Dominos Layla that helped to boost it's sales as well!.

A second retrospective album called Duane Allman Anthology volume 2 was also released by Polydor records in 1974.

E-Z

Last edited:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
which five songs are the most awesome LIVE ONES.......................OOH YEAH!

E-Z

Reaction score
Most bands obviously pick the heavier guitar based songs to play in a live context and the Allman Brother were no exception and when it came to which songs would be performed live with Duane in the band in particular I guess In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed would be an obvious one along with Whipping Post & Midnight Rider with all three songs always being played live.

When it comes to Duane Allman in particular I have him playing all over the 25th anniversary Derek & the Dominos Layla x5 cd box set along with Eric Clapton on studio tracks and studio jams.

E-Z

Last edited:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Most bands obviously pick the heavier guitar based songs to play in a live context and the Allman Brother were no exception and when it came to which songs would be performed live with Duane in the band in particular I guess In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed would be an obvious one along with Whipping Post & Midnight Rider with all three songs always being played live.

When it comes to Duane Allman in particular I have him playing all over the 25th anniversary Derek & the Dominos Layla x5 cd box set along with Eric Clapton on studio tracks and studio jams.

E-Z
absolutely dude

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score

I'd be curious to hear yours and @E-Z named some fantastic tunes, but I find it impossible to name a top 5, in fact, I always struggle with lists. In this particular case we're talking about one of the greatest live acts of all time with tons of live material available and all of it top notch.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear yours and @E-Z named some fantastic tunes, but I find it impossible to name a top 5, in fact, I always struggle with lists. In this particular case we're talking about one of the greatest live acts of all time with tons of live material available and all of it top notch.

I`ll get back to you on this one? as you`ve said its a hard one an amazing range of songs one of them would be BLUE SKY....

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Top 5

Not My Cross To Bear (Highlights Gregg's fantastic vocals. "Sat down and wrote you a long letter" Goose bumps)
Black Hearted Woman (captures the semi Weird Jazzy Brothers thing)
Whipping Post (Of course. From "All My Friends" Yeah I like the Warren / Derek lineup. Of course Duane was great but Warren / Derek were just perfect)
Dreams (Shows the trippy Grateful Dead sprawling jam band thing)
I can't really end the list so I'll just name another great one.
"Don't Want You No More" great keys from Gregg.
The entire 40th anniversary show follows

Mention should be made of the Dickey Betts stuff.
Revival, Blue Sky, Jessica. Great stuff and unique in rock.

Last edited:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
The account of Leon Wilkesen of Skynyrd after the crash when his heart stopped twice on the operating table.

Bassist Leon Wilkeson had arguably the most harrowing recovery; as he faced many internal injuries, dislodged teeth, and a broken left arm and leg, his heart stopped twice on the operating table. When he awoke, he claimed that he had just been sitting on a cloud-shaped log with Van Zant and fellow Southern rock icon Duane Allman – who had died in a motorcycle accident almost exactly six years earlier. "Ronnie told me, 'Boy, get yourself out of here, it's not your time yet, get on out of here,'" he told Uhelszki in 1997.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...-skynyrds-plane-crash-ronnie-van-zant-w509500

Cloud shaped log?
Well OK.
I truly hope so.
LOL!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online