Aerosmith sales up 250%

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

AEROSMITH Music Sales Up 250% Since STEVEN TYLER Became Judge On 'Idol' - Feb. 8, 2011
According to The Hollywood Reporter, sales of AEROSMITH's greatest-hits collections have increased more than 250 percent as a result of Steven Tyler's appearance on "American Idol" as a judge for the show's tenth season. The band's 1994 compilation "Big Ones", saw increased sales of 260 percent after the show's January 19 premiere. Meanwhile, 2004's "Devil's Got a New Disguise: The Very Best of Aerosmith", got a 146 percent boost after week 2 of "Idol". Two more greatest-hits collections registered surges of 137 percent and 147 percent. Likewise, AEROSMITH's "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" single was downloaded 34,000 times for the week ending January 30, an increase of 363 percent. The band's 1973 hit "Dream On" saw 26,000 downloads, which represented a 318 percent spike over the week before.

AEROSMITH bassist Tom Hamilton recently told the Boston Herald that Tyler believes he has the time and energy to continue fronting the band while also being a judge on "American Idol". Hamilton explained, "Steven's been very emphatic in saying that the way his time is arranged on the show leaves room to work on a record. He's been taking great pains to remind everybody of that, so hopefully that's the way it will come out."

Yet Hamilton also admitted that things could change, saying, "There's a lot of not knowing what's going to happen, but that's how it's always been for us . . . Steven is an incredible I-can-do-anything kind of guy. But he's taken a big bite, and I'm looking forward to seeing him chew it."

Hamilton said he'd never watched "American Idol" and that the band found out about Tyler's involvement from its management. Guitarist Joe Perry voiced his displeasure in public, calling the program "one step above ('Teenage Mutant') 'Ninja Turtles'."

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Hamilton said he'd never watched "American Idol" and that the band found out about Tyler's involvement from its management. Guitarist Joe Perry voiced his displeasure in public, calling the program "one step above ('Teenage Mutant') 'Ninja Turtles'."

Ninja Turtles was a pretty good cartoon.

As for the album sales going up, that's a good thing. Why does Perry gotta complain about getting additional royalties for sitting on his ass doing nothing?

I understand he is pissed about Tyler not appearing to be interested in touring or recording too quickly, but why bitch about easy money? Tyler's the one doing all the work on tv and four other guys are picking up bigger royalty checks as a result of it.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love the fact that Aerosmith is getting some "love" from the teen scene! Aerosmith has tried vehemently with musical diversity to appeal to a vast audience of all ages, and to think that just appearing on American Idol would open that door, blows my mind!

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I want Rock in a Hard Place and Done With Mirrors to climb the ladder to sales glory! Gems, too! :D

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Joe Perry probably isn't saying that now that he'll be stuffing a large wad of cash in his pockets due to Tyler's stint on Idol. I wish people would stop giving him a hard time about it. It's still one of the highest-rated shows in America and it's giving rock a little face time and introducing the younger audience to something different than autotune-spawned garbage.

Go Stevie!

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Joe Perry probably isn't saying that now that he'll be stuffing a large wad of cash in his pockets due to Tyler's stint on Idol. I wish people would stop giving him a hard time about it. It's still one of the highest-rated shows in America and it's giving rock a little face time and introducing the younger audience to something different than autotune-spawned garbage.

Go Stevie!

Right, Tyler is putting a lot of work into a tv show. I can attest to that. People who are on tv or radio put in a hell of a lot more preparation time for a program than they spend on the air, in terms of air time. For every hour Tyler is seen on tv, he puts in many more times that amount of time working on a single episode.

The other four Aerosmith guys are making a lot of money in royalties while Tyler puts in LONG hours and days prepping for this program. Regardless of what you think of the show or him being on there, Tyler is putting in a shitload of work. Again, anyone who has done tv or radio can vouch for that.

It wasn't out of the ordinary for me to spend upwards of 6-8 hours prepping for a single 4 hour afternoon drive radio stint. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Then again, I was my own producer.

I assume the 5 guys earn about the same amount in royalties, at least when everything comes out in the wash. I'd be more thankful than Perry is towards Tyler for a guy putting in a lot of time to help boost my royalty checks while I am sitting home on the couch or giving interviews saying what a bastard he is for being on tv.

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Right, Tyler is putting a lot of work into a tv show. I can attest to that. People who are on tv or radio put in a hell of a lot more preparation time for a program than they spend on the air, in terms of air time. For every hour Tyler is seen on tv, he puts in many more times that amount of time working on a single episode.

The other four Aerosmith guys are making a lot of money in royalties while Tyler puts in LONG hours and days prepping for this program. Regardless of what you think of the show or him being on there, Tyler is putting in a shitload of work. Again, anyone who has done tv or radio can vouch for that.

It wasn't out of the ordinary for me to spend upwards of 6-8 hours prepping for a single 4 hour afternoon drive radio stint. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Then again, I was my own producer.

I assume the 5 guys earn about the same amount in royalties, at least when everything comes out in the wash. I'd be more thankful for a guy putting in a lot of time to help boost my royalty checks while I am sitting home on the couch or giving interviews saying what a bastard he is for being on tv.

They're probably a little peeved they aren't interesting enough to be asked to be on a TV show.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.