Aerosmith: A Band Members Journey

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith September 2010 Band of the Month

I don't own a hard copy of "The Eminem Show" either so I can't really verify it but as I've always understood it Joe recorded the solo specifically for that song.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Joe Perry and his Guitars

Joe Perry says, “I have close to 600 guitars”. And his favorite is the 'Billy’ guitara Gibson Lucille that has a picture of his wife on it. Joe is known for his extensive use and collection of the Gibson Les Paul. The signature Perry Gibson is the boneyard.

4318240_JoeGuitars.jpg

4318242_joe-perry3.jpg

4318237_joe_perry_standard_gibson_les_paul.jpg

4318472_joe_rickenbacker.gif

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Tom Hamilton​

tomhamilton1.jpg
tomhamilton2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Personal Information:

Birth Name: Thomas William Hamilton
Born: December 31, 1951
Current Age: 58
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Parents: George and Betty
Siblings: 2 sisters, 1 brother
Spouse: Terry Cohen (married since 1975)
Children : 2
First Band: The Jam Band
Instruments: Guitar, Bass Guitar

Biography:

Tom began playing guitar when he was 12 and switched to Bass when he was 14 because a local band he was playing with needed someone to play bass. Tom has never stopped playing Bass since that day. Tom’s first official band was “The Jam Band” which included Joe Perry. The Jam band later morphed into what we today know as Aerosmith.
Tom is most famous for his bass lines in “Sweet Emotion”, a song he co-wrote for the album Toys in the Attic.

In 1981, Tom Hamilton became a member of a band called Renegade. Renegade was formed by Joe Kramer because Aerosmith was beginning to fall apart. Renegade included Joe Kramer on drums, Tom Hamilton on Bass, Jimmy Crespo on lead guitar, Bobby Mayo on rhythm guitar, and Marge Raymond on vocals. Renegade achieved a recording deal but never managed to fulfill the deal because Tom and Joe had a contract to record “Rock in a Hard Place” first and the Renegade debut got put on hold. Renegade did manage to record 7 tracks for the Renegade album, but these tracks have never been released.

Tom has song writing credits for 6 songs with Aerosmith:

1. "Sweet Emotion" from Toys In The Attic
2. "Kings and Queens" from Draw the Line
3. "Shela" from Done With Mirrors
4. "My Fist Your Face" from Done with Mirrors
5. "Darkness" from Done With Mirrors
6. "Janie's Got a Gun" from Pump

Kings and Queens is another song that has a fantastic bass line from Tom.

In 2006, Tom announced that he had been diagnosed with throat cancer. Up until this announcement he had never missed an Aerosmith live performance, and his treatment for the cancer forced him to miss the Route of All Evil tour. David Hull, who has played for the Joe Perry Project, filled in for Tom during the tour. At this time, Tom remains in good health and cancer free.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I love Kings and Queens....one of my favorite Aerosmith tunes of all time!! Hamilton is a very overlooked bass player. Boy has some TALENT!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I love Kings and Queens....one of my favorite Aerosmith tunes of all time!! Hamilton is a very overlooked bass player. Boy has some TALENT!

It's one of my favorite Aerosmith songs too. When I first picked up Aerosmith's Greatest Hits long ago it was a track that I hadn't heard before and really blew me away (even if it was trimmed down some). I do admitately overlook Tom Hamilton quite a bit though and generally don't pay his bass much mind.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Tom is one of those musicians that has stayed so true to Aerosmith, I would love to see him cut loose and play in a super group.......the man is talented, no doubt.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Brad Whitford

1t4vas.jpg 2eokxhj.jpg

9kav80.jpg 2uhqxdu.jpg

103ztjc.jpg

Personal Information:

Birth Name: Bradley Ernest Whitford
Birth: February 23, 1952
Current Age: 58
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Siblings: 2 brothers
Began Music Career: Age 16, with a band called Earth Incorporated
Instruments: Guitar, Trumpet

Biography:

Brad Whitford began playing guitar when he was 14. He had 1 year of formal guitar lessons when he was 15, and joined his first band when he was 16. Brad also attended the Berklee College of Music for one year prior to joining Aerosmith. Brad has stated in an interview that he played with a grand total of 6 bands before he began his career with Aerosmith. In 1971, Joe Perry and Tom Hamilton approached Brad, who at the time was playing in a band called Justin Tyme where a few of these band members were friends with Joe and Tom, and asked him to join Aerosmith, replacing Ray Tabano as guitarist.

Brad is often overlooked and underrated as a guitarist. He has made some great song writing contributions to Aerosmith, like the songs “Last Child”, “Round and Round”, “Nobody’s Fault”, “Permanent Vacation”, and “Voodoo Medicine Man”. Brad played lead guitar on the following tracks:

Back in the Saddle

You See Me Crying

Home Tonight

Brad’s main job with Aerosmith is to provide a smooth rhythm base for Joe Perry. Brad and Joe work together like magic. Brad also does a great job of soloing where he likes to work off the cuff and doesn’t care for overdubbed guitars. He plays a killer solo in:

Milk Cow Blues

In 1981, when Aerosmith went on hiatus, Brad took on a solo project with Derek St Holmes, ex rhythm guitarist/vocalist for Ted Nugent. These two cut a single album, a self-titled album “Whitford/St.Holmes”. Brad plays lead guitar with St. Holmes playing rhythm and singing vocals, along with Dave Hewitt on Bass and Steve Pace on Drums.

13ab1e3d.jpg

Sharpshooter shows off Brad’s abilities as a fantastic soloist and lead guitarist. Incidentally, this song also appears on the Aerosmith album “Pandora’s Box”. In 1984, Brad Whitford along with Joe Perry, reunited with Aerosmith to record “Done With Mirrors” and has remained with Aerosmith ever since.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I really like the Whitford/St. Holmes record. I bought it after seeing them open for Blue Oyster Cult & Foghat

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

That album is really good, too bad they didn't do more together. St. Holmes went back to Nugent which pretty much ended the duo. I stumbled upon the album about 2 years ago, I never knew it existed until then.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I know I wrote about this on another thread a while back but with this thread I feel it's worth telling again(for those of you who remembered this story sorry to bore you again but some newer members may enjoy it). Besides, yesterday marked the 28th anniversary of the show!

On October 19, 1982 myself & a friend headed out to the Purple Moose Saloon in Hamburg, NY. I was going to this Saloon for a couple years to see local bands so I was familiar with the place. The club probably could hold 200-250 people & on this date it was packed for on this date the Joe Perry Project would be playing along with local heroes Talas (w/ Billy Sheehan) opening the show. I really loved the first two Joe Perry Project albums & couldn't wait for the show to start. Talas had just released their 2nd album 'Sink Your Teeth Into That' & took the stage...well not much of a stage! Talas' drum kit was at the front center of the stage leaving approximately 7 feet on each side (Joe Perry's drummer's kit was already set up in back of the Talas kit). Talas rocked the place despite being frustrated about the space on the stage especially Sheehan who used to run all over the place back then. The dressing room door was right off to the side of the stage & after Talas finished their set there was a lot of yelling going on in the room. A guy walked to the dressing room with at least 5 large pizzas & the room was really getting loud. All of a sudden we heard a crash & someone kicked their cowboy boot through the dressing room door! The yelling continued & then somebody's fist went through the door!!! (I swear to god this happened I was right up front & center). The Joe Perry Project came out & they all looked fried out of their minds. It was a wild show!
About 2 or 3 songs into the set they started playing "Buzz Buzz" & singer Mach Bell didn't look to healthy...SPLAT!!!...He was passed out down on the stage & was carried back to the dressing. Perry looked at the rest of the band & went into a long instrumental of Hendrix's "Manic Depression". Bell came back out a while later & finished the set but what an experience that was. They came back to the Buffalo area in 1983 in support of their "Once a Rocker" & they sounded tight as hell. Perry looked to be really good shape that night (as did Mach Bell!) & it was a phenomenal set. I really love those 3 Joe Perry Perry Project albums from back then

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online