Aerosmith: A Band Members Journey

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
AerosmithLogo.gif

Aerosmith, which formed in 1970, is a band that needs no introduction. Music fans, both young and old, are familiar with Aerosmith, therefore, I am going to take you down a different path of discovery. I am going to introduce you to each Aerosmith band member, one at a time.

aerosmithtobano.png

Starting with the man in the picture above, Ray Tabano. Ray Tabano was a childhood friend of Steven Tyler. They lived near each other in Yonkers, New York and played music together. Ray was a member of Tyler’s first band, Strangeurs. Stangeurs was a party cover band where Ray was the bassist and Steven played the drums. Ray was known as "Crazy Ray".
Once the Strangeurs dissolved, Steven Tyler wanted to continue trying to get a band together. He and Ray, along with some other friends, Joe Perry , Tom Hamilton, and Joey Kramer formed the very first Aerosmith.
Ray was rhythm guitarist in the beginning, but didn’t have quite the skills that Perry and Hamilton possessed. He was constantly being told to “practice” by Steven and his band mates. In the Autumn of 1971, Ray was let go from the band. He was replaced with Brad Whitford. Ray was ok with this, he remained with Aerosmith until 1979, taking care of their office, recording studio and maintaining a huge warehouse the band had rented, called the “Werehouse”. Ray also was the band’s biggest fan and leader of the fan club, where he got the chance to help design merchandise for the band and write the official newsletters for the band. Ray was the designer of the first logo, the iconic winged “A”.

get_your_wings.jpg

Ray was fired in 1979, by the band’s managers. Ray, who still is a Yonkers, New York resident, went on to become a successful Chef and Caterer. Ray states from interviews, he has went to hundreds of Aerosmith concerts, and is always amazed and thankful he was a part of the band's origins.

muu6ua.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith September 2010 Band of the Month

Nice beginning to your favorite band Magic. It is kind of sad that he was fired, I think the boys would have had some say in that, but at least he moved on and had a good life he made for himself, and still loves the band.

I would say he is a true friend, and they are hard to come by in any walk of life.

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great Start Magic!!!:cheers2 I never knew about his career with Aerosmith. In the words of Artie Johnson: "VERYYYY INTERESTINGGGG!"

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Yes!! Aerosmith!!!

Great intro, Magic for a great band!!

:cheers2

Since this is the beginning, I hope you don't mind me posting this video of ''When I Needed You'' by Chain Reaction - a 60's garage rock band that included Steven Tyler on lead vocals...

Check it out...

yA3MM.jpg

^ Steve Tally (Steven Tallarico, birth name) aka Steven Tyler, on left

The Chain Reaction was Steven Tyler's first recording band, and the band's first 45 (single) was "The Sun"/"When I Needed You." It was released on "Date Records" {part of CBS [now Sony] Records} in 1966, and produced by Richie Gotteher.

Now, "When I Needed You" was later released on disc one of the three disc Aerosmith boxed set "Pandora's Box" which was released in November of 1991.

Source: rockthisway.de

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I did not know about this. Very informative Magic. :)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes!! Aerosmith!!!

Great intro, Magic for a great band!!

:cheers2

Since this is the beginning, I hope you don't mind me posting this video of ''When I Needed You'' by Chain Reaction - a 60's garage rock band that included Steven Tyler on lead vocals...

Check it out...

yA3MM.jpg

^ Steve Tally (Steven Tallarico, birth name) aka Steven Tyler, on left

The Chain Reaction was Steven Tyler's first recording band, and the band's first 45 (single) was "The Sun"/"When I Needed You." It was released on "Date Records" {part of CBS [now Sony] Records} in 1966, and produced by Richie Gotteher.

Now, "When I Needed You" was later released on disc one of the three disc Aerosmith boxed set "Pandora's Box" which was released in November of 1991.

Source: rockthisway.de

Great stuff there Groovy! I am glad you posted it, since Steven Tallarico is my next subject in the Aerosmith band member life journey.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

This is very interesting so far! I think it's amazing and rare to see that the former member Ray never harbored any bitterness at any of the dismissals he went through in the bands history. It shows that he was a true friend who's friendship was sincere and not based off of what he could get through the bands success.

I have always thought that first logo was horrible. Thank God it metamorphasized into what it did.

I thought it was cool hearing that early song and I do own Pandoras Box but thank God Steven Tyler has improved his personality in his music later in his career. I like early Aerosmith just fine but some of the earliest Aerosmith with exceptions of course was so bland in some areas IMO.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I like early Aerosmith just fine but some of the earliest Aerosmith with exceptions of course was so bland in some areas IMO.

Aerosmith's debut album, would be in my top 3 Aerosmith albums, with Toys and Rocks. I love their first album, it sounds so 1973 - and that's a good thing. It's so raw and ranchy, and unpolished. It's a great Rock N' Roll album.

I won't say anymore, becuse Magic's heading in that direction...

xfQd2.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Aerosmith's debut album, would be in my top 3 Aerosmith albums, with Toys and Rocks. I love their first album, it sounds so 1973 - and that's a good thing. It's so raw and ranchy, and unpolished. It's a great Rock N' Roll album.

I won't say anymore, becuse Magic's heading in that direction...

xfQd2.jpg

I did have the debut on cassette in my high school days and I have no real complaints. Dream On is such a classic. Aerosmith used to be my favorite band ever but I always thought Steve's voice changed so much. It was deeper rather than the raspiness I loved when I was first exposed to the band through the Pump era Aerosmith. What It Takes is still my all time favorite Aerosmith song! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have to throw in with Groovy early Aerosmith is my favorite as well. My good friend Magic has never quite got me to enjoy their later albums as much as the ones I grew up with. They are good, but there is something special about the 70's catalog.

If anyone is curious she has done some top notch reviews on Aerosmith's albums in our review thread.

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f37/

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online