Aerosmith: A Band Members Journey

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith September 2010 Band of the Month

Honestly, I feel that Joe Perry just doesn't want to quit and Steven Tyler is ready to quit, this is why you have seen stories in the press that Aerosmith will not break up but will look for another lead singer. I believe the contractual agreement between the " toxic twins" will not allow either of them to carry on as 'Aerosmith' unless they are together.

Even as late as August 20, Joe Perry was stating publicly the band was not breaking up.

I believe Steven Tyler has not made any statements about the band breaking up.

These two do seem destined to hurt each other on stage though:

first Perry bumps Tyler off stage

Tyler hits Perry with the Mic

John Kalodner, the man who signed Aerosmith to Geffen Records in the 80's has stated, “If [Steven] makes a giant success as a TV personality, he won’t want to go back on the road. And there is no Aerosmith without Steven Tyler. Period.”

Kalodner quote courtesy of Classic Rock Magazine, 10/9/2010

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree about the "No Aerosmith without Tyler", the singer is always the signature of the band, especially one with the longevity/fame of this one.

From what I understand AI is on the downward slide anyway, without Simon it was going to suffer even more next year. If Steven Tyler manages to stop the bleeding and regain some of the audience, then maybe he will give up touring.

Reminds me of that James Bond film Connery made years after retiring from the series. Never Say Never Again....if there is enough money and demand there is a good chance Aerosmith will carry on intact.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I doubt very seriously American Idol will flourish without Simon. I believe Tyler is seriously tired and is using this as his "rest period". If Joe Perry is so all fired up to make music, he can always stoke up the fire in his solo efforts, IMHO.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I think Idol is about to share the same fate as this once Unsinkable Icon.

titanic2.jpg

And seeing no one is going to perish, it's demise would not bother me at all.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Joe Perry​

4236482_joe_perry1.jpg

Personal Information:

Birth Name: Anthony Joseph Perry
Name Change: By Grandfather from ‘Pereira’ to ‘Perry’ upon immigration to USA
Born: September 10, 1950
Current Age: 60
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Ancestry: Portuguese (paternal) and Italian (maternal)
Siblings: Younger sister, Anne-Marie
First Band: The Jam Band
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keyboard
Solo Career: Joe Perry Project
Notable Trademarks: Gibson Les Paul guitar collection

Biography

Joe Perry was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts and grew up in Hopedale, MA. His first experiences with music came when he picked up a guitar in his early teens and began teaching himself how to play to songs from the Yardbirds, John Mayall, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones.

Joe Perry then joined a series small bands, hereby honing his playing skills, beginning with The Chimes Of Freedom (1964-65), Just Us (1965-66), The Flash (1967) and Pipe Dream in 1967 with Tom Hamilton (bass), David 'Pudge' Scott (drums), Kathy Lowe (vocals) and Perry on lead guitar. They worked the Boston and New Hampshire band circuit. Pipe Dream split to form Plastic Glass in mid 1967 with John McGuire (harmonica, vocals) which followed the heavy psych blues style laid out by the Jeff Beck Group and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, before splitting in late 1968.

In early 1969, Tom Hamilton, John McGuire and David ‘Pudge’ Scott formed a power outfit with Guy Williams on lead guitar, but before long Joe Perry worked his way into the group replacing Williams and they became known as The Jam Band and worked the New Hampshire area. McGuire didn’t stay long with the band and the remaining trio of Hamilton, Scott, and Perry made a private pressing of an album in 1969, in which there is supposed to be 4 copies that were pressed. The album is a self-titled album and was recorded live at A club in NH called “The Barn” (this is where Perry and Tyler met). This album has not been released to the public (maybe it will surface someday on a box set) although the album cover art has leaked to the public. This artwork is reported to be the handy work of Joe Perry:

2dkhfdl.jpg

The Jam Band fell apart and Perry and Hamilton began playing with Tyler in 1970…….The birth of Aerosmith!

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great thread, I love Aerosmith and Tyler is a great front man, he does play to the audience and is very good live, he still has a great voice too.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have always thought of Aerosmith as having two frontmen...both Perry and Tyler. Those two are now becoming a "reality show" all their own........and thing of it is, I dont know if Aerosmith will survive this round of fights between the two of them.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That might be the root of the problem right there, two leaders. One seems to continually fall off the wagon causing Aerosmith to miss tours etc., and the other one fed up over the years and years of babysitting him.

Nothing that happens next will surprise me, although Tyler being confirmed on Idol does affect the bands next move.

As the world turns...oops wrong title "As my Stomach churns"...:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

That isn't entirely true, LG. Perry use to have his hissy fits and walk away from the band........He did so in a big way back in 1979, when the band was at it's peak, and he started the Joe Perry Project. (this is my next big entry in this thread, btw) Not to mention, Joe was one of the last members to come clean off the drugs and booze.........

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I guess it would have been more accurate to say Steven's addiction troubles were far more public than Joe's. Not a huge fan of digging into a bands offstage stuff as a rule but I will never forget Tyler's interview years ago when he was so out of it he forgot where he lived and freaked out. That was his first attempt at drying out.

Still the fact they are both massively self centered is not going to lead to peace and harmony in Aerosmith anytime soon. This is the David Lee Roth vs Eddie Van Halen fight except I consider Tyler and Perry to be equal in the band, unless the other band members do a Pink Floyd and pick a side, that is always possible if things get worse.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online