Aerosmith: A Band Members Journey

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith September 2010 Band of the Month

Joe Perry Project

In 1979, Joe Perry walked away from Aerosmith due to increasing tensions and fighting amongst band members . Joe Perry’s wife at the time, Elyssa Jerret, and Tom Hamilton’s wife, Terry Cohen, got into an argument backstage after a concert in Cleveland, OH and Elyssa threw a glass of milk on Terry. A huge fight amongst the band members started over this incident and Perry walked away from the band. When he left the band, he took with him a large amount of unrecorded music and used this music as the basis for his own solo project—The Joe Perry Project.

Perry quickly got a band together in 1979 which included singer Ralph Morman, bassist David Hull and drummer Ronnie Stewart. This line-up recorded The Project's 1980 debut album, “Let the Music Do the Talking”

JoePerryProjectMusicTalking.jpg

During the tour that followed this album, Perry fired singer Morman . The new singer finished the tour and by the time JPP was ready to record their second album, another singer, Charlie Farren was hired. This new line-up recorded and released “I've Got the Rock'n'Rolls Again” in 1981.

JoePerryProjectRockRollsAgain.jpg

Columbia Records was reluctant to promote this album, and sales were low. Perry was still very heavy into drugs and alcohol and began having disagreements with his band. In 1982, Perry fired the entire band.
Joe put together another band line-up, singer Cowboy Mach Bell, bassist Danny Hargrove and drummer Joe Pet and signed to a new Record label, MCA Records. The band quickly put together a new album and released “Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker” in 1983.

51Z1ehFHBVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This album met the same fate as the preceding album, poor sales and 0 album promotion from MCA. Perry was not willing to give up, and had Aerosmith band member, Brad Whitford, join up and they went on tour as The Joe Perry Project. During this tour, Perry became close friends with Huey Lewis and his promoter. This promoter, Monterey Peninsula Artists, would later be the key ingredient to bring Aerosmith back together in 1984.

In 2009, Joe Perry has once again struck out on his own with another album from JPP, “Have Guitar, Will Travel”.
Joeperryprojecthaveguitarwilltravel.jpg

personnel:

Joe Perry - vocals, guitar, synth, percussion, programming, sound effects
Hagen Grohe - vocals
David Hull - bass
Ben Tileston - drums, percussion, glockenspiel
Marty Richards - drums
Scott Meeder - drums
Willie Alexander - piano
Paul Santo - Hammond organ, pipe organ, percussion

Joe says he did this album because "he can" and has no one to answer to.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

It might be JP's fate to walk in and outta bands :)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Other Joe Perry sightings:

Gene_Simmons_(album)_cover.jpg

This album was released in 1978, Joe Perry plays guitar on “Radioactive” and “Tunnel of Love”. Be prepared, these songs are very corny, IMHO, but Joe’s work is not all THAT bad.

Radioactive

Tunnel of Love

MerryAxemas_vol.1.jpg

This album was released in 1997 with Joe playing a slow version of Blue Christmas then a Joe version. Also during 1997, while on the Nine Lives Tour during the x-mas season, Joe added Blue Christmas into the song Sweet Emotion.

Joe’s Blue Christmas, both versions

159-1.jpg

Released in 1999. Joe played on two songs; “Pax Um Biscum(Peace Be With You)” and “Christmas Time is Here Again”, where Joe plays the guitar solo. Christmas Time is Here Again is a remake of the 1967 release that was distributed to the Beatles Fan Club.

Christmas Time is Here Again

Pax Um Biscum

Bob+Marley+-+Chant+Down+Babylon+-+1999+-+Front.jpg

Bob Marley: Chant Down Babylon is a tribute mixed by his son, Stephen, in 1999. Stephen mixed featured vocalists and musicians with his father’s original recordings and the result was a stunning tribute to Bob Marley. Perry plays guitar and Tyler sings the duet on “Roots, Rock, Reggae”.

318800_1_f.jpg

Joe even dabbled in some country music, playing slide guitar. This album was released in 1999 and features Joe Perry on slide in the song “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know”, although it is basic, you can definitely hear him play.

288889207_288889207forumtonnel.gif

This album was released in 2001 and featured Joe playing on two songs, "Everybody's Getting High" and "Too Far Gone."

Joe Perry made an appearance on the show Homicide in 1998 as Joe Landrewsky :

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

I have always thought of Aerosmith as having two frontmen...both Perry and Tyler. Those two are now becoming a "reality show" all their own........and thing of it is, I dont know if Aerosmith will survive this round of fights between the two of them.

^So sad...Here's a vid from happier times. It's pretty funny.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

So.....you know how mad some Aerosmith fans get whenever anyone brings up Run-DMC? Well Joe played in this song too and it's heavily centered around "Dream On":

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Toxic Twins​

Joe Perry and Steven Tyler have co-written over 80 songs together and have made numerous guest appearances together. These two have been stead fast friends since 1980, and have stuck together through the most toxic times of their lives. This is what gave them the nick name "Toxic Twins".

tumblr_l81ry1khQ61qd45txo1_500.jpg

la12203220423.widec.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

So.....you know how mad some Aerosmith fans get whenever anyone brings up Run-DMC? Well Joe played in this song too and it's heavily centered around "Dream On":

Cosmic, I believe Eminem 'sampled' Dream On, with their permission of course. This is very similar to Kid Rock 'sampling' Skynyrd and Warren Zevon in 2008 in the song "All Summer Long"

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Yes, Eminem did sample "Dream On" and the song is centered around that sample but Joe does provide newly recorded guitar solo at the end.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes, Eminem did sample "Dream On" and the song is centered around that sample but Joe does provide newly recorded guitar solo at the end.

I dont have the CD to check the credits but from what I have read Perry provided the solo, he didn't actually record the solo in Eminem's studio for the album "The Eminem Show". I could be wrong though, since I dont actually have the CD and the little booklet to check the credits.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online