Aerosmith: A Band Members Journey

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith September 2010 Band of the Month

I liked the Run DMC remix, myself. But..........I know how some feel about rap-rock mixes :D

I have a ton more stuff to post on Tyler. He is no doubt the busy body of Aerosmith with Joe Perry coming in a second place behind him. I am hoping people will see or hear stuff they have never heard before :)

I liked it! In the 80's I used to always go see local bands & in between sets, the clubs would play dance music which at first I wasn't to fond of but at least the girls would fill the dance floor. After a while I kind of got used to the music & one night Run DMC's version of "Walk this Way" with Tyler filled the club & the place went nuts. Soon after,I seen the video on MTV & loved it.

I really am enjoying this thread!! Great job Magic!

I had read that Tyler ended up with Cyrinda Foxe due to his rivalry with the NY Dolls. She was Johansen's girl for years & finally married him in 1977. Within a year she ended up with Tyler. From what I read Tyler looked at it like it was yet another victory for Aerosmith over the Dolls. The Dolls were already split up by then but in the beginings The Dolls were looked as the big band of the future. From what I heard from a friend who was backstage at a Mott the Hoople,NY Dolls, & Aerosmith show in '74 was that Ian Hunter, David Johansen, & a few other band members were sitting around playing cards & Tyler kept trying to join them in their game & make conversation w/them but everyone kept ignoring him. Aerosmith was the opening act & was looked at as Dolls clones but the Dolls were already beginning to fall apart & eventually were off the tour. Aerosmith & the Dolls shared the same management & as the Dolls were deteriorating Leber Krebs management decided to push the Dolls aside & push Aerosmith so Tyler kind of had a vendetta against the Dolls even though they became & were friends. I was just reading in an old Creem magazine that at one of Johansen's club shows in '78 Tyler & Perry came up onstage & played some blues with him

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

^^I heard it like this: Cyrinda Foxe was friends with Joe Perry's girlfriend, Elyssa Jerret. She was a huge bitch, and Steven Tyler hated her. When Tyler started dating Cyrinda Foxe, it really pissed off Elyssa. Supposedly because of that, Steven Tyler married her.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

1986 Run DMC “Raising Hell”. There is a cover of “Walk This Way” where Tyler and Perry both are featured.

(cover your ears Tomcat and LG!!!)

Love Aerosmith....but this was embarrassing...

This was one of the first nails in the coffin of rock and roll...

The beginning of the end...

At the time, I thought Tyler and Perry should of went back to doing drugs...

Aerosmith is lucky, their fans forgive and forget....

this pissed off a lot of Aerosmith fans.

Including my friends and myself.

rtbuck

Reaction score

^^I heard it like this: Cyrinda Foxe was friends with Joe Perry's girlfriend, Elyssa Jerret. She was a huge bitch, and Steven Tyler hated her. When Tyler started dating Cyrinda Foxe, it really pissed off Elyssa. Supposedly because of that, Steven Tyler married her.

I think it may have been a bit of both reasons. I recall reading articles about how Elyssa was a bitch. At the time Steven & Cyrinda hooked up, Joe Perry & Elyssa were good friends with David. Johansen wanted Perry to produce his solo record (He didn't end up producing it but he did play guitars & keyboards on it although I think he only got credit for playing on "Cool Metro"). When Elyssa found out Cyrinda was with Tyler she flew off the handle. From what I read it seemed like Cyrinda wanted to go to where the Rock & Roll Stardom was & more Heroin so she dumped David. It's weird because a few years earlier Johansen & Foxe were on the side of the stage for an Aerosmith show & both were laughing at Tyler calling him a hick & that eventually got back to Aerosmith. A lot of that rivalry was in the 'Walk this Way' book.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Love Aerosmith....but this was embarrassing...

This was one of the first nails in the coffin of rock and roll...

The beginning of the end...

At the time, I thought Tyler and Perry should of went back to doing drugs...

Aerosmith is lucky, their fans forgive and forget....

this pissed off a lot of Aerosmith fans.

Including my friends and myself.

I don't consider the collaboration with Run DMC an ending, I consider it expanding.

Here is what Steven and Joe had to say about their work with Run DMC:

Tyler states that the song "Walk This Way" is actually early spoken word, rap music done in a rock style. He says that this song was the first time white guys got together and laid down a groovy style song in a rap fashion......and kicked down the walls between black and white.

This puts a new light to rap music, and makes you think that rap really isn't all that bad.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Groovy, this isn't Tyler/Perry's only Rap adventure here is another:

I am going to hide now :D

:peek

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Aerosmith have made a career out of making asses out of themselves...

- Run DMC- Walk This Way

- The Areosmith/Britney Spears/N'Sync Super Bowl Half Time Show

And this crap....

I'm embarrassed for the them.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

No one will ever convince me Rap is not bad music, not even the explanation of "Walk This Way". Velvet Underground was doing "Rap" before the genre was even invented, that explains the title of one of Lou Reed's albums when Rap went mainstream, "The Original Wrapper".

I do give them credit for being big enough to try and bridge a cultural gap in music at least, I just wish the genre they picked was of a higher caliber.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I try not to say anything to insult other peoples musical likes and dislikes, but in this instance I simply have nothing good I can say in all honesty about that genre. It is just lacking for me on every level. If I want poetry I'll read a book, if I want to expand my cultural consciousness I will find another avenue other than that one. It does nothing for me.

Back to Magic's thread, I mentioned somewhere else that my newspaper had an article saying we should enjoy the Next Aerosmith tour it might be their last, seeing Tyler and Perry cannot seem to get along anymore and it appears to be real not manufactured for Public consumption.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online