2012 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Excluding acts that aren't yet eligible, there are honestly only a few bands that I think deserve to be in the Hall who aren't yet. I think it should be a very exclusive group, so that the honor would hypothetically mean more, if they could pull it off with some semblance of sense that would garner high regard for their selections.

Sabbath getting snubbed for so long is their most heinous mistake in my view, but that's been rectified more or less. IMHO the plethora of less-than-noteworthy acts that are in the Hall is the alarming thing, not the acts that aren't in it quite so much. And there shouldn't be a specific number of inductions per year. That encourages inducting unworthy acts to fill the quota.

Needless to say the idea of a hall of fame for something so limitlessly subjective as music, doesn't much concur with my sensibilities in the first place. But it's all in good fun, really. I think if they're going to do it, it's best to stick to the most immutable choices. The further you stray from that, the subjectivity increases exponentially, the selection becomes less definitive, and people will have more reason to take issue with the choices.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think what people need to remember is that this is something they want to keep doing and most of these acts will be inducted at some point but you don't want to get all the greatest acts in one big swoop so you have the main event and some other notable but not huge icons in each year. That way you can keep people guessing, not kill off the event at any point and keep it going as long as possible. Just my thoughts! People take this shit to seriously but it kind of makes sense from a business standpoint! :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I think what people need to remember is that this is something they want to keep doing and most of these acts will be inducted at some point but you don't want to get all the greatest acts in one big swoop so you have the main event and some other notable but not huge icons in each year. That way you can keep people guessing, not kill off the event at any point and keep it going as long as possible. Just my thoughts! People take this shit to seriously but it kind of makes sense from a business standpoint! :grinthumb

I actually thought about that a little last night upon seeing this thread. Good point Sooty. Keep 'em guessing and so they'll tune in next year for the nominees. Maybe they're playing hard to get to KISS fans. :heheh:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

The more they drag on keeping artists out of the lists, the more people start to get annoyed and no longer want to see what the next hall of fame nominees will be. That's at least the way I can see it. If and when they decide to put the names of artists that people want to see, there'll be less people paying attention to it than they are now.

On another note, I am surprised to see Guns n Roses on this list. Far better artists deserve it, not them.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The more they drag on keeping artists out of the lists, the more people start to get annoyed and no longer want to see what the next hall of fame nominees will be. That's at least the way I can see it. If and when they decide to put the names of artists that people want to see, there'll be less people paying attention to it than they are now.

On another note, I am surprised to see Guns n Roses on this list. Far better artists deserve it, not them.

I'm sorry but I disagree. People like to bitch, moan, whine and complain period. It's something they are addicted to but I don't think for one second that they won't put their brakes on and tune in once their band gets voted in. People are really not not that far removed from the infantile stage. Give them back their pacifier and they stop crying for a bit. That human nature. So I think the Hall of Fame is being smart and doing great business. The artist you see in there, that's the art. But it would flounder without the business practice. We can all have the senseless hippy outlook that anything in the music "business" can make it just based on the art. It can't. Art and business will always have to thrive off of the other. If any of us made a Hall of Fame, including me, with our ideals in place we would snuff it out in no time with our self indulgences and lack of business sense! Just my opinion! :grinthumb

Peter Norway

Reaction score
by Caryn Ganz in Amplifier

The first-time appearances of Joan Jett, Heart, and Chaka Khan on the ballot are encouraging considering the Hall has a poor track record when it comes to honoring female artists: As The Amp pointed out when the Hall of Fame Museum announced its "Women Who Rock" exhibit earlier this year, out of 174 inducted performers, 27 are (or prominently feature) women -- a pretty measly 15.5 percent.

So a whole swath of the population, women, have traditionally decided they'd rather do other things than pick up a guitar...and now it's the Hall's fault? Pretty rich. You know who else is under-represented? Scientists.

How does it work? Does the Hall just keep electing bands year after year until it's down to like, Vinnie Vincent Invasion and bar bands?

The whole notion of a Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame seems silly, and so un-rock 'n roll. It's like a game you'd play as teenagers in your basement, arguing over who gets in. But now the silly little game is this huge serious adult institution.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
So a whole swath of the population, women, have traditionally decided they'd rather do other things than pick up a guitar...and now it's the Hall's fault? Pretty rich. You know who else is under-represented? Scientists.

How does it work? Does the Hall just keep electing bands year after year until it's down to like, Vinnie Vincent Invasion and bar bands?

The whole notion of a Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame seems silly, and so un-rock 'n roll. It's like a game you'd play as teenagers in your basement, arguing over who gets in. But now the silly little game is this huge serious adult institution.

I think if that were true bands the likes of KISS and Rush would've been in years ago and they'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel by now. Perhaps they should have limited the number of artists inducted annually. I've seen the lists and they're pretty long. Maybe if they had done that they'd still be a little more relevant and not having to consider the likes of LL Cool J. :rolleyes:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I disagree. People like to bitch, moan, whine and complain period. It's something they are addicted to but I don't think for one second that they won't put their brakes on and tune in once their band gets voted in. People are really not not that far removed from the infantile stage. Give them back their pacifier and they stop crying for a bit. That human nature. So I think the Hall of Fame is being smart and doing great business. The artist you see in there, that's the art. But it would flounder without the business practice. We can all have the senseless hippy outlook that anything in the music "business" can make it just based on the art. It can't. Art and business will always have to thrive off of the other. If any of us made a Hall of Fame, including me, with our ideals in place we would snuff it out in no time with our self indulgences and lack of business sense! Just my opinion! :grinthumb

I suppose i'm more along the "hippy outlook" that you're talking about. Because I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion. My only beef with these sorts of lists is that it only focuses on the bands that are recognized by a large group of people. I'm talking like when someone says a bands name, everybody knows about or have heard that band. But, (here's where my hippy outlook comes in), does that give any underground artist a chance to even be recognized even a little bit by anybody? Not really. These lists continuously shower the bands that have already made it big, instead of introducing new artists and bands that deserve it just as much. Sure, I guess from a business point of view, the way they work these lists is smart. But it's so close minded that people are only getting like...10% of the good music that is out there right now. But if people want to be close minded, than more power to them.

Death on Credit

Reaction score

That's easy to say right now, isn't it? Rock 'N Roll has had an undeniable and powerful cultural impact...All of us here love it and swear by it religiously. Given all that, it's easy to forget that A LOT of people do not view rock 'n roll as a legitimate art form. It's very very young, after all, and is far from time tested. For now, rock 'n roll has us, the fans, to keep it important. But that won't always be the case. Someday we are all going to be dead. It's fun to bash snobs, journalists, critics, the committee, museum curators, et al, as being out of touch and irrelevant compared to the "real people" that buy records and go to concerts...But the fact is that fans aren't enough to keep something alive. If we want rock 'n roll to be anything other than a flash in the pan in the grand scheme of things, we need the institutions.

Does that seem very un-rock 'n roll? Only if you don't understand art history and the workings of professional criticism. Snobs are a lot cooler than you might think. Throughout history, the artists that survive history are the ones that march proudly through the streets with their middle fingers in the air, the ones that shake up the system, and upset and revolt the status quo. Beethoven was the Keith Richards of his day. Rock 'N Roll is in good hands.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online