2012 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Link From Yahoo

by Caryn Ganz in Amplifier

Let the complaining begin... now: Nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 2012 class are out! The first-time nominees are Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Guns N' Roses, Eric B. & Rakim, the Cure, the Small Faces/the Faces, Heart, Rufus with Chaka Khan, Freddie King, and the Spinners. Artists making a return trip to the ballot include the Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donna Summer, Laura Nyro, Donovan, and War.

Guess who's not invited to the party? That's right, Kiss, who have been snubbed by the Hall for the 12th straight year. At least that's an annual tradition, but it's certainly more stinging considering the Beasties and Nyro are up for the honor for the third time and Summer is making her second appearance on the ballot in a row. Should the Small Faces/the Faces pick up enough votes, Rod Stewart would join the small club of 16 artists who have been honored by the Hall more than once (he was inducted in 1994 as a solo artist).

The first-time appearances of Joan Jett, Heart, and Chaka Khan on the ballot are encouraging considering the Hall has a poor track record when it comes to honoring female artists: As The Amp pointed out when the Hall of Fame Museum announced its "Women Who Rock" exhibit earlier this year, out of 174 inducted performers, 27 are (or prominently feature) women -- a pretty measly 15.5 percent.

The appearance of Guns N' Roses on the ballot, however, has the most potential for fireworks. Should the band make the cut, which former members would show up to the ceremony? Axl Rose has been famously feuding with old school Gunners like Slash for years. Original lineups traditionally reunite for the Rock Hall induction, which means d-r-a-h-m-a follows. In 2006, former members of Blondie stormed the stage and demanded to perform only to be sent away by an angry Debbie Harry. The following year, the only members of Van Halen who showed up were ex-frontman Sammy Hagar and former bassist Michael Anthony. Should everyone who's ever played in Guns N' Roses decide to attend this event, there could be 22 guys onstage (!).

Artists become eligible for the Rock Hall ballot's "performers" category 25 years after the release of their first single or album, so this year the magic number was 1986. After 500 industry experts vote, the induction ceremony -- the Hall's 27th annual event -- will be held April 14th at the Rock Hall in Cleveland.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I think these all should definitely get in.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Guns N' Roses
The Cure
The Small Faces/The Faces, Heart
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Donovan
War

These ones should not...

Eric B. & Rakim
Rufus with Chaka Khan
Freddie King
The Spinners
Donna Summer

I've never heard of Laura Nyro

And while I don't think they should be inducted I always have and will continue to go to bat for the Beastie Boys.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
#1 on my list for inclusion is Slayer. If it took Metallica two years to get in and Sabbath 9, though, you can pretty much bet those'll be the last metal bands that ever make it in the hall. :p

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well let's see....far bigger and more influential hard rock/metal bands like Deep Purple, Rush, and Thin Lizzy aren't in yet so Slayer? Yeah, they're never getting in.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I bet we can make a better RaRHoF.

Oh I wouldn't doubt it. :D Overall though, I'm satisfied with a good chunk of the nominees....whether or not they actually get inducted though? Well that's a different story.

I think the highlight though is obviously Guns N' Roses because I'm sure everyone is dying to know what will happen if (when) they get inducted.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well let's see....far bigger and more influential hard rock/metal bands like Deep Purple, Rush, and Thin Lizzy aren't in yet so Slayer? Yeah, they're never getting in.

Considering they don't pay much attention to metal, Slayer has no chance.

I'd sooner put Slayer in than Purple or Lizzy... Rush definitely needs to be in though.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online