Your Five Most Influential c.d.s (Share Why, Stories, etc.)

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

This is the first album I remember ever laying eyes on. It was my mother's, although she doesn't remember ever owning it. I played it over and over and over and over. If I had to pick one, I'd say its probably my favourite album ever.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

This is the first album I ever bought with my own money. I got it in 1979 just after The Wall was released. The Wall soon followed.

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Around the same time I bought my first album, I discovered this gem in my step-father's car. (cassette) Of course I'd heard The Beatles on the radio while I was growing up, but I had never heard an entire album of theirs. I recognized Come Together, Something and Here Comes The Sun, but I had never heard any of the other songs. As you can imagine, I fell in love with it. I remember listening to it over and over on a portable cassette player in a fort I built in the basement. This is a very close second for my favourite album.

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

Heard it for the first time in 1981 and I remember thinking, "wow. This sure is different." After a few listens, I was hooked. I never actually owned it until I was much older, but me and a buddy would play it when his older brother wasn't home. Later that year I talked my mother into getting me a ticket to my first concert: Frank Zappa at Shea's Theater in November 1981. I was 14 years old. I saw him again three years later.

AC/DC - Back In Black

I heard You Shook Me All Night Long on Casey Kasum's America's Top Forty in 1980. This was my introduction to hard rock. I'd never even heard of AC/DC before then. This, of course led to Judas Priest, Ozzy, the Stones, Zeppelin and a few other great bands.:D

This all pretty much happened between 1979 and 1981, with the exception of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road which I probably first heard around 1976.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
3. Grateful Dead / Reckoning
:grinthumb Was at Radio City Music Hall earlier this month and my friend asked what my first concert was at RCMH. After some though I figured out it was Oct 30 and Oct 31, 1980 for the Grateful Dead. The songs on Reckoning and Dead Set were taken from the 23 shows the Dead played in SF and NYC. each nite three sets one acoustic and two electric. :****:

Mr. T

Reaction score
I've been looking at this thread for a while and trying to narrow my list down to 5 and I finally decided that I can't... lived too many years I guess. :heheh:

Along the way there have been many but the common denominator is they all opened my eyes to new forms of expression and trains of thought. With that said... here's a few.

The Beatles - Meet The Beatles
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star
Queensryche - Queensryche (EP)
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Van Halen - Van Halen
Metallica - Ride The Lightning

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
The 5 albums that influenced my musical tastes are..........

FNMAD.jpg

Not even my favorite FNM album, although it is excellent, it was the first time I ever gave "weird" music a real chance. I found the song "A Small Victory" addicting, and listening to this diverse album repeatedly broke down many barriers for me at a time when I was all about mainstream rock. Without FNM my musical library would be much more limited. Truly underrated band.

GnR.jpg

While I have probably heard this enough now to last me a lifetime, when it came out in 1987 I was blown away by how raw and different it was from the other "hair metal" bands out there. After realizing how stale music was becoming, Appetite kicked me right in the face with music that was 5 years ahead of its time.

HeartGHlive.jpg

Here's a big one, and despite what my friends say it isn't just about Ann's big ones either.:D I bought Greatest Hits Live in the mid 80's after realizing that I never tired of Hearing "Barracuda" on the radio..what's the big deal? Heart is a rock band..a hard rock band..led by.. women. Before playing this album and finding their music pure gold, I never took any female rocker seriously. I was just a meatheaded teen at the time. Listening to the album, I was amazed at how well Nancy could play the guitar, and Ann's unequalled voice that could cover the whole range from sensual (Dreamboat Annie), to sexy (Straight On), to loud and in your face (Bebe Le Strange). What's this? They write their own songs? Well that was it..I was hooked for good. If for no other reason, Heart is in here for begrudgingly forcing me to realize women can rock just like the guys.

VH.jpg

Here is the (formerly) mighty VH...who are in my list as they showed what a combination of great songs and good videos could do. 1984 had a string of very good songs which by itself should be enough to warrant praise, but it was the time this album was released that makes it special. In the early 80's videos were a new thing and it was just so cool to see Eddie rip through a solo smiling, as if he was actually having fun making millions playing a guitar. All this mumbling can be summarized by saying a great album made me watch videos religiously, which in turn exposed me to new bands. More than any other album, 1984 intensified my love for music from casual to hardcore.

RushPW.jpg

Ahh, where to start with this classic. I had heard Rush from my older brother a few years before, but never really liked the music as it just sounded so odd compared to what was typically on the AM stations. Well after a few dozen listens something in the song "Spirit of the Radio" struck a chord with me, and I decided to buy the PeW album. Initially I only liked SOR, but I gradually learned to appreciate Freewill and Natural Science. Once this happened, I was now a Rush fanatic..and I wanted to hear more..lots more. Other music, while still enjoyable, seemed so slow and formulated that I needed to hear a Rush song after playing 3 or 4 tunes from anyone else. PeW is on my list because it is the album that started off the intense admiration I have for this band, especially the PeW to GUP era.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
61HCzjDUxdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Led-Zeppelin – Physical Graffiti
The album that drew me into rock and roll in the first place. This gal I really liked had a brother that was into the classics. I was hanging out with her so she and I decided to listen to some music and THERE IT WAS! Before playing it, I was transfixed by the presentation. It looked intimidating. The die cut window jacket...the assorted blurred pics...the liner notes. From the chain saw aggression of “Custard Pie” to the dying groans of “Sick Again” it was love at first hearing…now an affair that is still going strong decades later. At the time this set told my ears that there was more out there other than the lightweight pop music on AM radio and whoever was on Casey Kasem’s Top Whatever… A revelation in itself.

Postcript: A thank you to the lovely Tish Sloan wherever she may be. I'm forever in your debt for such a fine indoctrination!

41WHGN7FCNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Rolling Stones – Hot Rocks 1964-1971
I was already aware of The Beatles but they did not have a hold on me as much then. I heard of the Stones who were touted as their antithesis. I figured instead of delving into all of their catalog, I took the safe route introduction via their greatest hits. It struck a chord in me romanticizing being part of the anti establishment. It was quipped that The Beatles wanted to hold your hand while The Stones wanted more. They were darker, cynical and had that edge. I readily identified…

51CsLpTb2hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Boston - Boston
Back then “More Than A Feeling” was a staple of FM radio. I was quite keen about the guitar spaceship cover. Loads of beautifully crafted tunes. On the album sticky, a reviewer said it was “Yes meets Led-Zeppelin” which I agree to some extent. It wasn’t the down and dirty, bluesy rock of Zeppelin but it had that sheen and polish. Not exactly commercial either. To me it was just right. Many a time when I’d spin it on a platter just to let the day wind down after doing me homework, get lost in Scholz and co.’s journeys in stereo via headphones.

416ZP6KR7SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Queen – News Of The World
At the time this was what broke the band fully in the States. I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. It had the same feel as “Boston” but more varied style wise. Mercury’s voice intrigued me. It soared and danced. It was my first exposure to the group. In time “A Day At The Races” would supplant it as my favorite but at the time it had the sizzle, the funk, it rocked with the right amount of prissy attitude. The giant robot sci fi cover was a trip too killing the band and the masses running in fear! I thought Queen were the most outrageous band out there. Little did I know…they were MORE than that.

51EmXJWudAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cheap Trick – At Budokan
My cousin had a 45 of “I Want You To Want Me” which he played. It was infectious, fun and rollicking. On the B-side was their cover of Fats Domino’s “Ain’t That A Shame” which was just as good to listen to. Off to Music Plus, a couple of weeks later to pick up the LP. Turns out that there was more than those two songs that I would come to enjoy with “Surrender” ending up as my go-to track. There was also the added bonus of sussing out the booklet that came with it. In fact one of the first three LPs I purchased in my life. A good time record...brought a smile on its first playback. I harken to those carefree days whenever it comes on.

Last edited:

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
five most influential cd's? well, first of all they wouldnt be cd's they'd be records because cd's werent invented when I first heard these and they changed my life. Second, these arent necessarily my top 5 albums of all time, just the 5 that came into my life and basically set me on course in a different direction i.e. into harder rock/metal.

5. Montrose-S/T 1973........ I first heard this in 1975, most every band or album I'd heard was a blend of blues rock or psychadelic rock with the occasional mellow tune or ballad but I never heard a hard rock album where every song rocked from the first to the last. Still one of my favorite all time albums.

4. Rush-2112 1976........ They dressed funny (kimonos)and looked funny(Alex's goofy hat, Neil's handlebar mustache, and Geddy: nuf said) and the weird writing on the album sleeve I didnt really understand when I was 9 years old. But the music Rocked my young brain and 35 years later I'm still a major Rush fan.

3. Van Halen-S/T 1978.........I never heard guitar like that before. It blew me away!! And that singer was so hyperactive and crazy and he had such audacity. Just who the hell did these guys think they were??

2. Judas Priest-Hell Bent For Leather/British Steel 1979/1980............I started hanging out with a classmate when I was 12 and his older brothers got him into some serious heavy metal like Scorpions and Iron Maiden and both of these Judas Priest albums, which I heard basically around the same time back in 1980. I chose those two over the Scorps and Maiden because those were the first 2 albums that I told him I wanted to hear over and over because they were so heavy and the guitars just pummeled my brain.

1. Metallica-Kill 'Em All 1983.........My brother's friend had a mix tape of 3 songs from this album and he played them for me since he knew I was a heavy metal fan. I couldnt stop playing those songs and soon after bought the album. This was everything I'd ever loved about heavy metal but it was FASTER!! and no love song ballads. This album made me become a huge thrash head in the 80's and early 90's. I still love thrash but I dont hear it as much anymore because I love so much other music now. But I still listen to "Kill 'Em All" as well as the rest of the 80's Metallica very much on a regular basis.

honorable mentions:

Kiss-Alive!! 1975
Aerosmith-Get Your Wings/Rocks 1974/76
Eagles-Hotel California/Greatest Hits 1975/76
Deep Purple-Live In Europe 1976
Scorpions-Lovedrive/Animal Magnetism 1979/80
Iron Maiden-S/T and Killers 1980/81
April Wine-Harder Faster/Nature Of The Beast 1980/81

Last edited:

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
Great Thread! I enjoyed reading alot of the entries, especially the "Gateway Drug" CD's that got people listening to their favourite musicians. 5 is too small, but I think I'll narrow it down to these 5:

1. Nirvana - Nevermind
I've since grown out of Nirvana and the Grunge phase. But this has to be one of the most seminal CD's in my lifetime. For the first 13 years of my life, I hardly cared about music and just listened to what was on the radio. My favourite artists were Creed, Matchbox 20, U2, and The Goo Goo dolls and their music constantly played in the radio and I fancied them. In the summer of 2004, I got into Oasis, Nirvana and Gun N Roses after watching some VH1 programming (LOL). I was really interested in the grunge movement, I joined an online message board called Grunge lives which no longer exists and asked for recommendations. But it was this CD that firmly popped my "Classic Rock Music Virginity" because I wasn't really exposed or cared about it earlier. Nevermind was a profound album for a post Generation X'er at the time. Filled with crunchy guitar cords and angst filled lyrics, which at the time, I just related too. All the songs are perfect and are a great combination of pop, punk, metal and catchy guitar hooks. It was a great album and was my favorite album until much later...it acted like a gateway drug which eventually got me into the Alternative Rock movement (Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, REM). It's an album which doesn't hold up with me anymore, but I still have a special place for it in my heart.

2. R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

After I fell in love with Nirvana, I became embroiled in Alternative Rock music. Automatic For The People was one of those things that just clicked with me (Siamese dream was the other). In the end of 2005 I went through a bad phase of depression and mental break down...culminating in several near suicide attempts. I listened to Automatic religiously, and loved the first half of the album. The middle is kinda lacking but the last two songs are just beautiful. Nightswimming is probably the best song the band ever made. Because It was a favorite of mine during perhaps the worst part of my life, and its abundance healing power it has to be up there.

3. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

I'm no longer a Huge fan of this band, but this was THE album which got me into other and more better outsider music; the Echo And The Bunnymens of the world and those other cool punk and post punk bands. Great alternative rock album, but I discovered better stuff since then.

4. Pearl Jam - Vs

During the same Time I was getting into Nirvana, I also took a liking to Pearl Jam. This once eventually replaced Nevermind as my favorite grunge CD, and today its still my favorite from the entire grunge era. With exception to WMA I like the entire album and especially: Dissident, Daughter, Glorified G and Elderly Woman, etc. I don't listen to grunge too much nowadays but I still appreciate the music for getting me into the stuff I like nowadays - like The Byrds, The Kinks, Who, Dylan, Beatles, etc...

5. Shakira - Pies Descalzos

This one is last because its quite recent for me. I always thought Shakira was just an average pop singer (although before I derided her as an overrated hack). I checked out her first two albums from the 90's and this one ain't too bad. This is Shakira at HER prime...before she sold out in 2001. A good mixture of latin pop, folk, hard rock, pop and alternative rock. I guess the only thing it provided me was...err good music...and a new open minded appreciation for people...err who I thought were bubblegum pop.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love those picks and I especially agree about Automatic For The People. Best R.E.M. album ever and Nightswimming is my favorite song by them. You are right about what a beautiful song it is. I'm glad the album helped you through your depression! :)

As a Pumpkin fan of the highest order I would've preferred Siamese Dreaam making your list though! :peek

I also love the Shakira pick. I don't see my self owning her material but I love seeing surprises on this list especially when it means something that opens peoples minds! :grinthumb

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love those picks and I especially agree about Automatic For The People. Best R.E.M. album ever and Nightswimming is my favorite song by them. You are right about what a beautiful song it is. I'm glad the album helped you through your depression! :)

As a Pumpkin fan of the highest order I would've preferred Siamese Dreaam making your list though! :peek

I also love the Shakira pick. I don't see my self owning her material but I love seeing surprises on this list especially when it means something that opens peoples minds! :grinthumb

Thanks Soot!

I love Siamese too. I agree with you on the best song of the album as well (Mayonaise). Rocket has some memorable drumming by Jimmy too...:metal:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Thanks Soot!

I love Siamese too. I agree with you on the best song of the album as well (Mayonaise). Rocket has some memorable drumming by Jimmy too...:metal:

Well, hey the honorable mention in your text is still awesome! :grinthumb Jimmy's drumming is always amazing! Hey KF, if you are brave enough to post Shakira thread you'll be my hero! If nothing else the other posters will come in to drool over her! :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online