Your Five Most Influential c.d.s (Share Why, Stories, etc.)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
It's it's actually a very good song in the way of story telling. Possibly Dream Theater's best if you ask me. :grinthumb

I agree 100%. Black Clouds is an incredible album, and Count of Tuscany is a great way to end the album. :D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Thanks. You can verify by the credits....my initials JT. I was on a Q&A on Gearslutz with Butch Vig last year and it was much fun. I enjoy this site as the BS is very low.
BTW it was a really cool record to work on though extremely difficult taking 4 months to track and they spent another 5 weeks mixing. Obviously before Pro Tools and etc.
JT
Great job rockit. SD is a wonderful album!!

Hm I could do this a few ways like why I live in NYC today, what were my early influences, why I started and stopped playing guitar and bass :)wa) but I'll go with progression thru several decades.

1. Woodstock-Woodstock
f90317p0pkv.jpg
It might not be so much the album as the event. Prior to Woodstock I only listen to music my parents played or we heard on the radio. After woodstock my brothers started playing music and it was the first time we were listening to something not The Beatles, The Who or The Stones. Hearing Jefferson Airplane, Ten Years After, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, CSNY etc.. Yeah might have heard a song or two before but this time we were really listening. It also showed me that music wasn't all about rocking out. This led me to listen to lots of folk rock and psychedelic stuff. Although I was also listening to the Beatles-Srg Pepper's around this time too.

2. Yes-Fragile
f10818krp6x.jpg
I bought this album in 1972 because I liked the album cover. It wasn't until about 74 that I understood it. Sometime in the summer of 74 we got the album back from my brother who took it to college. When he came home he had 500 other albums with him (his roomates collection). I got it back from him and for several days (maybe out of spite) played it day after day. It was the first album I started singing every word as I played it. Later that summer we started playing those other 500 albums many that are some of my favorites today(Genesis-lamb and Selling England, Gentle Giant, Soft Machine, Gong, Jethro Tull(besides Aqualung) etc..

3. Steve Hillage-Motivation Radio
c400180jx4a.jpg
Yeah a wierd choice. At the time we were spending every afternoon after school at my friends house doing bad things :D with a bunch of friends. Each day someone would have a new album and we would play it. One day this guy played this one and I had to borrow it and played it to death so much that when I tried to return it my friend said keep it. It's not my favorite Hillage album but it led me to dig into Gong which then led me to fusion. Fusion led me to jazz and several more complexed bands like Gentle Giant, ELP and Mahavishnu Orch. This coupled with a lousy live performance by Led Zep and great live shows by Pink Floyd, Yes and Nektar led me away from blues rock and towards what is now called prog.

3a. Talking Heads-Fear of Music
d6642808gfk.jpg I didn't get punk or new wave even though I was a mild fan of Patti Smith and did at least like the prior TH albums. But this one hit a cord with me and after it came out I was a big TH fan and picked up everything I could. Also started liking Punk and proto punk like The NY Dolls.

4.REM-Murmer
f60254hbo58.jpg
I could have gone with U2-war or u2-Joshua Tree but REM fits todays mood. In September of my first year of college in Maine I saw REM play to maybe 199 people. I had seen them in the summer at Shea Stadium opening for the Police and Joan Jett and was really looking to really hearing them. That winter Murmer came out and it was our dorms theme album. We danced and danced and danced to REm, B52's, The db's and others.

4a. Tori Amos-Little Earthquakes
d68582eawk8.jpg
I had heard Crucify on the radio on my way down to the Jersey Shore but didn't hear who sung it. Several hours later I was in my friends room and his roomate was blasting Little Earthquakes. My friend said "he has been playing that awful album all week non-stop". I hadto know who it was and bought the album that day (it was destiny).

4b. Fiona Apple-Tidal. The day I bought it I played it over and over until I could sing every line of every song.

5. Doves-Lost Souls
e32008ubbno.jpg
This was my entry into the world of modern rock. I had a new group of friends in early 00 and they turned me on to so much I had missed in the 90's(brit pop(not named Oasis or the Verve,shoegaze, early indie rock). One of the first albums I bought was Lost Souls as I had to decide if I was going to go see them live in a few weeks. I loved this album and quickly picked up a ticket to the live show. The opener for that show was this band know one I was hanging with knew, The Strokes(. That nite we partied until sunrise and had doubled our group of friends. The NYC party scene for me began. Prior to that day I went to a few concerts a year by 2003 it was up to 100 shows a year and many friends were in bands or promoting them.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Great writeup AK! Nice to see you in here by the way! I knew there would be a couple picks I liked before even reading this! :grinthumb
Thanks s& s getting out of busy work season hopefully I can be here more. I thought another way to do this would be by 5 live performances that changed or shaped your musical taste.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
My collection is either too big or I'm just not satisfied with one style of music or artists daily. Everything that I may post in the "What are you listening to" thread influences me.

I'm influenced by all of it. Classic Rock, Pop, Metal, Prog, Art Rock, Classical, Dance, Psychedelic..and many sub genres to a few listed here.

Great read through and through though!

:cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well you know I'm not short on music dude but it's the albums in your prime years that count most and usually one that opens up interest in a genre, instrument, vocal style or anything like that. Not just albums that you love! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Actually I almost forgot that I did list 5 on page 2...but a few of those have already been sorta changed around in the 'ol noggin. :heheh:

But I'm pretty impressed with what I picked on the day. :grinthumb

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Genesis - s/t
genesis-genesis-1-album-art-18876.jpeg

I grew up with this album (and Invisible Touch). My Dad used to put this record on and listen to it while he worked on things, or cleaned, or just danced around singing (way off key too lol). I was a young boy, and the song "Mama" really creeped me out, and the song "Illegal Alien" was really memorable. Of course now I love the whole album, and this was my first exposure to one of my favorite bands!

Queensryche - Empire
queensryche3.jpg

This is my first real exposure to metal and Queensryche. I first heard this thanks to MP, who played it for me on record at the time - which I then recorded on to a cassette tape and promptly wore it out afterwards. I immediately loved the vocals and the production. It sounded so powerful, a bit more so than the Van Halen and Billy Idol I adored at the time, so it introduced me to a whole new genre of music.

BT - ESCM
R-18421-001.jpg

This is the first album I picked up because I liked one track on a different compilation album (Flaming June), and it really got me to appreciate and really enjoy electronic music for several years. I'm not too into electronic music anymore like I used to be, but I still have a good chunk of albums I really enjoy, and I credit this masterpiece of an album (along with Devious Methods from Hive - another masterpiece) for expanding my musical tastes and appreciation.

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree
Peter_Gabriel_Al_Shaking_the_Tree_16_Golden_Greats.jpg

This was the first album I owned from Peter Gabriel. I remembering growing up with the "Shock the Monkey" video, and it really creeped me out (and was the source of several recurring nightmares lol). I always loved the particular sound PG albums had, and his voice in particular I liked. I credit albums like this for me paying attention to various instrument sounds. The sound of Tony Levin's bass really stuck out, and it made me really look out for and appreciate differentiating sounds of various musicians. Also, it introduced me to cool different tracks like "Zaar."

Jethro Tull - Benefit
cover_947152292009.jpg

I discovered this album in my late teens, and soon after it was played over and over and over again whenever my best friend and I would be driving around. I credit this album (and a few others) for getting me to really look at the 60's and early 70's, and start discovering all that glorious music. I was really blown away by the music and the lyrics really spoke to me ("Inside" was a favorite between my friend and I!).
Another interesting note - when the 1998 movie "Godzilla" came out, my buddy was obsessed with the guitar riff from "Kashmir" which was featured on that horrible rap track, but we didn't know what the song was and ended buying a bunch of Zeppelin albums before we finally got to it. Much to our liking, we would be trading Zeppelin albums like "Dude!!! You gotta hear this!!" Now Zepp is my friend's most adored band, all thanks to that silly rap track. Funny how things work out!

:grinthumb
Anyways, there's more but I'll limit it to 5! :cheers2

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
1. Allman Brothers / Decade Of Hits 1969 to 1979

This album is one massive hit after another from a classic band!

2. ZZ Top / One Foot In The Blues

This album is a compilation of their Blues songs.

3. Grateful Dead / Reckoning

The name alone should be enough but it`s basically acoustic versions of their popular songs, if your a Dead Head, you will understand.

4. Gov`t Mule / The Deep End, Volume 1 and 2

Because they Rock hard!

5. J.J. Cale / The Definitive Collection

A collection of J.J. Cale`s songs from the master song writer and musician.

Cale songs that have been covered:
"After Midnight" and "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton
"Bringing It Back" by Kansas
"Call Me the Breeze" and "I Got the Same Old Blues" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Travelin' Light" and "Ride Me High" by Widespread Panic

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's a lot of compilations Garrett.

Nice to see JJ Cale get a mention, I have about 7 of his albums myself.:tup:

Find member

Forum statistics