Your Five Most Influential c.d.s (Share Why, Stories, etc.)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Definitely! So silly question. ;) When I first heard WTCOOO, I liked it a lot. Then I played it a few more times and now I love it. It's definitely catchy. I agree, WOAD was not the best. But I am really looking forward to this one and to hearing it on tour.

Rumour is it's a pretty angry record and that usually means quality with Springsteen, when he has something to say (e.g. Nebraska, Darkness). Also has Clarence Clemons on two tracks, which will be a little spooky I guess. Loved his contribution to the E Street Band and he'll be a big miss, especially live I guess.

McFly

Reaction score
That's a cooler top five than mine I have to say, with the exception of Duran Duran of course, but hey they were never as bad as they were painted.

R.E.M. and Oasis were also very important for me. I had some Alternative and Britpop phases in the 90's. I listened to Morning Glory day and night. But finally I got back to the heavy section! And don't tell anyone, but I still listen to DD sometimes. :)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
R.E.M. and Oasis were also very important for me. I had some Alternative and Britpop phases in the 90's. I listened to Morning Glory day and night. But finally I got back to the heavy section! And don't tell anyone, but I still listen to DD sometimes. :)

Well me to and "newie" All You Need Is Now is quite a cool LP.

Khor1255

Reaction score
1) Black Sabbath - Paranoid The music I actually remember first in my life was my sister's 45s. The ones I remeber to this day are Iron Man from Sabbath (probably picked this one up and kept playing it because I was into superheros even as a very small kid but I guess it grew on me), Eighteen from Alice Cooper (I saw him on tv but also really loved the tune and the organ at the end sealed for me), Frankenstein from Edgar Winter (Probably kept playing it because I was a huge movie monster fan but the musicianship is undenyable. I guess on some level it even got me there. Plus, when you hear Frankenstein on headphones - which I often had to to keep from having to turn it down - it sounds like the keyboards are passing through your skull).
Of those three singles the one I snuk into my sisters room and got the precious 33 to listen to was Sabbath. I remember going around singing Electric Funeral as a small kid and freaking my mother out. I really loved that song and everything else the album had to offer and was actually into Sabbath when Master of Reality came out. They would remain the band I judged other bands by for most of my childhood.

2) Kiss - Hotter Than Hell Well, I saw the album cover and I guess that is what first drew me to listen with any real intent. What I felt when listening to this album and looking at the album cover is hard to explain. Kind of like a deviant wonderlust for the near naked chicks on the back cover coupled with the streetwise content of the lyrics inside. Add the simple hard rock attack and they had me thoroughly hooked until they put out that freakin disco album.
I always really liked Kiss music. It's true that they always had fluff songs on every album and even when I liked them most I realized they weren't the best musicians I had ever heard but the delivery and subject matter both musically and lyrically was something almost impossible for a young boy like me not to really get into. I guess the album cover really is what got me to take special interest in hearing this band out but in my defense I think I was only 7 when I first heard Hotter Than Hell so....

3) Crack the Sky - Animal Notes This album has a sophistication yet readily acessible delivery that always made me wonder why I wasn't hearing it all over the radio. I remember really digging this one at parties my older brothers and sisters didn't really want me at and thinking I'd really like to turn a girl on to this stuff.
It remains a personal favorite and a kind of hidden pleasure in that I always come upon people even knowledgable about American rock and roll who have never or almost never heard of the band let alone this album.

4) Rush - 2112 I kind of had a hard time picking which Rush album to pick here since All the World's a Stage was the first album I heard from them, tracks from Farewell to Kings were the first I really got into but I still wasn't thoroughly hooked (had a real problem with male singers having a high pitched voice back then) until I heard 2112. I remember this album from the first note blaring out in my back yard in the summer. I heard it, was impressed then heard it again reading the lyrics (which had a preface to each song that was brilliant. Peart just couldn't help but go out with a bang I guess) and I was thoroughly blown away and hooked. I was - and am - a fan of this era of Rush (really from the beginning till Hemispheres) like I am of no other music and maybe entertainment in general. This album is the one that really got me into them and i was a fan when teir absolute masterpeice Hemispheres was released.

Why wasn't I hooked sooner is the question I will be asking myself for the rest of my life. I think I had maybe the good part of a year where I was hearing them yet not really into anything other than the music sans the vocals. Now Geddy is one of my favorite if not my absolute favorite vocalists.

5) Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden I loved this album the very forst time I heard it. I think by the end of Transylvania (I heard the second side first when I first spun it and thought that was the first side for the next couple years) I was already a fan but hearing the rest of the album 'finishing' with Phantom of The Opera cemented me as a Maiden fan for life from the first time I heard the album. This almost never happens to me. I usually take a little time to really get into a band. In fact, I had already heard and liked Priest for a couple years before this but this is the one that cemented me as a metal head back when that was a 'respectable' term.

6) (yeah I know) King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King - I always heard progressive rock and I guess I always liked some of it but this is the album that really got me into it. When I first heard it my older brother was really into Yes and (I guess because of the high pitched vocals) I liked the music but never was into them. Crimson changed all that and really expanded my tastes in a profound way. I guess after really hearing Crimson I became musically mature.

Please bear in mind this post is meant as semi satire about me. I could end just about every sentence in lol but since I'm not fond of that term I'll instead write this longwinded caveat.

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
I will just elect three albums that made a massive impact on my life , one I still listen to every day (yes every day in my car to work and back)

1. Queen . A Night At The Opera (a Musical Banquet that fed my youth )

135810.jpg

2. Yes : Going For The One (still an every day inspiration and the mystery goes on)

Yes-GoingForTheOne.jpg

3. L : Steve Hillage (a Journey in heart mind and soul )

hillage.jpg

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yeah, Going For the One might be my favorite Yes album. It is a delight thru and thru. I have a few friends who are good enough on guitar to play Turn of the Century but sadly none of them has matered it yet. I really dig that tune and the whole album. Used to listen to it for a shot of adrenilline almost every day.

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
this is an olde list , the number one spot is NOW Dream Theater's 'Dark Clouds and Silver Linings'

My taste is pretty varied ;

1. A Night at the Opera - Queen
2. Going For The One -Yes
3. Hemispheres - Rush
4. Tones -Eric Johnson
5. Smash hits , Jimi Hendrix
6. Street Legal , Bob Dylan
7. Blood On the Tracks ' Bob Dylan
8. Metropolis - Scenes from a Memory , Dream Theater
9. Heavy Horses - Jethro Tull
10. Images and Words - Dream Theater
11. Moving Pictures - Rush
12. Permanent Waves - Rush
13. L ; Steve Hillage
14. Tubular Bells 1 , 2 and 3 remastered - Mike Oldfield
15. Billy Joel - greatest Hits
16. Simon and Garfunkle- box set
17. Subsurface - Threshold
18. Dead Reckoning - Threshold
19. Critical Mass - Threshold
20. Relayer - Yes.
21. Led zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
22. In through the out door - Led Zeppelin
23. Slow Train Coming - Dylan
24. Saved - Dylan
25. Shot Of Love- Dylan
26. Mommy don't love daddy anymore , Resurrection Band
27. Colours - Resurrection Band
28. Afraid of Sunlight - Marillion
29. We can't Dance - Genesis
30. Then there were three- Genesis
31. 2112 - Rush
32. Songs From The wood - Jethro Tull
33. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
34. Original masters - Steeleye Span
35. Back In Line - Steeleye Span
36. Ah Via Musicom - Eric Johnson
37. Synchronicity - The Police
38. Power - Kansas
39. In The Spirit of Things - Kansas
40. Kansas box set - Kansas
41 . Motivation Radio - Steve Hillage
42. Caress of Steel - Rush
43. Tormato - Yes
44. America - greatest hits.
45. Small Creep's day - Mike Rutherford
46. A Day at The Races - Queen
47. Queen I - Queen
48. Queen II - Queen
49. Sheer heart attack - Queen
50. Live at the Budokan _Bob Dylan

to be cont ......

Denzil Dexter

Reaction score
1. AC DC BACK IN BLACK

back-in-black-acdc.jpg

This was the first Album I actually sat down and listened to as a young lad and to this this day it still has the same effect on me. BRILLANT start to finish.

2. BON JOVI BON JOVI

Bon_Jovi_Album.jpg

This Album was my first venture into the new AMERICAN stuff coming into the mainstream in the UK as I had been listening to mainly British Heavy Rock upto this point and this in my opinion was their best Album and a refreshing sound to my young ears.

3.PINK FLOYD THE WALL

am64205.jpg

Absolutely blew me away the whole wall concept Album Film etc and took me in a direction I most probably would never have gone musically.
Wish You Were Here is my favourite Album of all time but the Wall led me to it and subsequently to pay and go see them in play.

4.GUNS & ROSES APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

Appetite_for_Destruction.jpg

This album was miles away from where I was but I play this Album on a weekly basis in my car along with Back in Black and the best of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Love It.

5. SANTANA MOONFLOWER

Santana-Moonflower.jpg

My brother sat me down one day threw on the headphones and stuck this on, he said listen to this and simply turned off the light and left me to it.
A wonderful Album this and to me it was an education on just how wonderful and artistic rock can actually be? it will remain with me till the day I go... Magical.

Santana - Black magic woman - YouTube

Last edited:

Tangerine

Reaction score
Ok, I'll go from the 5th to the first... (these are NOT my favorite albums, but the ones the mostly influenced me and my music taste)

BON JOVI- CROSSROAD
Crossroad.jpg
Well, it's a best of, but it's the reason why I started listen to rock music. And to non-Italian music in general... (I used to listen to BSB and Aqua but I never really liked them:rolleyes:)

GUNS N ROSES- APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
Appetite_for_Destruction.jpg
I spent 3 of my teenage years listening almost only to Bon Jovi and GNR. More influential than this...

PINK FLOYD- PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN
Pink_Floyd_piper_gate.jpg

This album saved me from my 80s glam rock obsession and made me discover a whole new different music. It was love at first chord and after hearing it my taste completely changed, I started listening to many more bands and "going back" into music time

THE WHO- TOMMY
hank.jpg
I knew it only because a tennis player is named after it:D I gave him a try without knowing what to expect. I think I spent a whole week playing it over and over again, my roommate still hates me for that:bonk: I don't know why, but this album shook me deeply. Still my all time favorite.

PINK FLOYD- DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
The+Dark+Side+of+the+Moon.png

Ok, like everybody... but for me this album (like Tommy) it's something more :bow: I had a pretty problematic teenagehood (does it exist in English?), had a "perfect" life but I've always been oversensitive and always felt out of place. I like to think that if I didn't go insane back then was because of DSOTM. I still use it as a "painkiller" whenever I feel down. I don0t think words can express how much this album means to me.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
With a whole new round of members I still think this is a great icebreaker thread. If you've never posted in here I'd like to learn about your top five! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online

No members online now.