Yes (Official Thread)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
These are the studio albums and you can see a decline from Big Generator, with the exception of Keys to Ascension (in my opinion of course):

Yes
Time and a Word
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Going for the One
Tormato
Drama
Big Generator
Union
Talk
Keys to Ascension
Keys to Ascension 2
Open Your Eyes
The Ladder
Magnification
Fly from Here

Khor1255

Reaction score
I'd say there was a decline immediately after Going for the One and that they never fully recaptured the classic Yes sound after that.

90210 might have been better off being called a Cinema album rather than a Yes album in terms of preservation of 'lineage'. I always thought Union and even Anderson Wakeman Bruford and Howe were more like actual Yes albums though I prefer 90210 on it's own merits to either of those.

90210 was the realization as Yes as a purely pop band. It had it's moments of Yessyness but it was really just a very well done pop album rather than a piece of progressive or orchestral rock.

The Big Generator I have never been able to stomach and I pretty much completely tuned out after that one.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I thought Drama and 90125 still had elements of the classic Yes (as did 9012Live). On Big Generator, the old elements (as on Rhythm of Love and Shoot High, Aim Low) were combined with some absolute rubbish. I'm Running is the worst ever track by Yes. That 'Jacaranda' part makes me want to throw my CD into the woods at the back of my house (but it wouldn't be fair on the squirrels).

Talk is bad because, persuaded by Victory records, they took Trevor Rabin tracks and stretched them artificially in an attempt to return to the stye of old Yes. Rabin did some good work with Manfred Mann and should have returned to the Earth Band. Open Your Eyes has too much Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood, who are both clever, but not together. Open Your Eyes, apart from the title track, is more drivel. Union is maligned but had its moments, like Shock to the System. The rest, like The Ladder, are just dull.

There were plans for an Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman band, but sadly they came to nothing.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like 90125, I bought a new vinyl copy last winter, but Big Generator was a big disappointment to me. I think 90125 was the last really good album the band did, the others didn't leave a lasting impression on me whatsoever. I mean they aren't terrible but when I want my Yes fix I'll take any album up to 90125 and be happy.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I agree you need to really listen to the albums and breath them in, if you like that sort of music they will take you away to distant places.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'll have to listen to "Keys..." again one of these days, but that will be hard cause I'll be tempted to spend that 90 minutes listening to my wax copy of Topographic Oceans.;)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yes to Reissue ‘Close to the Edge’ With Extras

Yes1.jpg

Source Link

A reissue of one of Yes‘ most popular albums of the ’70s will include instrumental versions of well-known songs, new artwork, rare photos and remastered stereo mixes.

The classic ‘Close to the Edge’ is getting the reboot on Oct. 29, courtesy of Panegyric Records and Porcupine Tree’s Steven Wilson.

According to the band’s website, ‘Close to the Edge’ — which was originally released in 1972 — will be the first in a new series of expanded Yes albums to get this treatment. The project will be available in a number of different formats, each with a particular setup.

The specifics of each release can be found at YesWorld.com, but there will be a CD/DVD-audio version and a CD/Blu-Ray-audio edition. All will include the new 5.1 surround mix and high-resolution stereo mixes, as well as a new mix of ‘America.’

There are several bonus audio features on the DVD and Blu-Ray versions, and the Blu-Ray version will include three “vinyl needle-drop transfer” songs. And Roger Dean, the original artist behind the album’s famous artwork, will provide updated art for the reissue. There’s no word yet on future reissues in the series.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Sounds good, I will leave it as I have the remaster with extra tracks and that will do for me, if I had the spare money I would be tempted.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online