Worst Drummer In A 70s Rock Band

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Re: Worse Drummer

Every one of these drummers previously mentioned (including Henley, but probably not the Velvet's Moreen Tucker) could still play circles around the modern MTV Superstar known as Rikki Rocket. :ha:

rikkirocketleao.jpg

Wolf

Reaction score

Everybody's worse when compared to Buddy Rich. This guy can't be touched with apologies to Louis Bellson the best double bass work i've ever heard and i'm not a Jazz guy. Saw a video of Neil Peart doing a tribute to BR and it paled in comparison to anything Buddy has done in my opinion though he may be one of the best rock drummers out there.

Last edited:

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score

^^^^

Those are great clips Wolf. What strikes me is how light a touch Buddy Rich exhibited, yet still sounded powerful. He really set those cymbals on fire, in a very musical way.

But most kids of today have been indoctrinated by MTV & VH1's Metal Mania (which I watch a little every day, just to stay current) into believing that skill is measured by how hard you hit the drums, not finesse.

Sadly, I think more fans would say Tommy Lee's simple 4/4 pounding on the recent VH1 KISS tribute / super-group rendition of God of Thunder is what constitutes "good" or "impressive" in 2006.

Wolf

Reaction score

Your 100% right on. Ever watch Dino Danelli bang away. WOW !! I'd put that guy right in there with some of the better rock drummers today. Sometimes you don't see the full potential of these 60's pop drummers because of the style of music they're playing. Who knows maybe Barry Whitwam of Herman's Hermits could go toe to toe with Mitch Mitchell or better.

^^^^

Those are great clips Wolf. What strikes me is how light a touch Buddy Rich exhibited, yet still sounded powerful. He really set those cymbals on fire, in a very musical way.

But most kids of today have been indoctrinated by MTV & VH1's Metal Mania (which I watch a little every day, just to stay current) into believing that skill is measured by how hard you hit the drums, not finesse.

Sadly, I think more fans would say Tommy Lee's simple 4/4 pounding on the recent VH1 KISS tribute / super-group rendition of God of Thunder is what constitutes "good" or "impressive" in 2006.

Last edited:

aerozep

Reaction score

Your 100% right on. Ever watch Dino Danelli bang away. WOW !! I'd put that guy right in there with some of the better rock drummers today. Sometimes you don't see the full potential of these 60's pop drummers because of the style of music they're playing. Who knows maybe Barry Whitwam of Herman's Hermits could go toe to toe with Mitch Mitchell or better.

I was and still am a BIG Rascals fan,and Dino was responsible for alot of this.This was a great band and a great drummer also,I had the pleasure of seeing the Rascals back in 1988 here in New Jersey,they were awesome to say the least.

I don't know if this is politically correct but here goes...
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all of you.
PEACE:bump:

magnoliasteve

Reaction score

No "bad" drummers really come to mind for me, but when Mickey Dolenz actually started to play drums for real for the Monkees, I didn't think he was all that good.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.