Worst Drummer In A 70s Rock Band

Wolf

Reaction score
Re: Worse Drummer

Read on the Monkees website that Mickey got so good on drums that Frank Zappa asked him to play in his band but because of prior committments he had to decline. Saw him play a couple years back and he could go ........... unless he's being compared to Buddy Rich.

No "bad" drummers really come to mind for me, but when Mickey Dolenz actually started to play drums for real for the Monkees, I didn't think he was all that good.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

I saw [Mickey Dolenz play drums] in 1968-ish... sounded like poo

Well, having heard some a live take from the '67 tour, I would agree...but fast forward some 30 years to the Justus album, and he's really not bad. He'll never be in a contest for best drummer, but considering that it was all about playing a TV character, he really accomplished something even by becoming a passable drummer.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Re: Sign of the Beast

:ha:
666uc6.jpg

Not only was it my 666th post but it was regarding Black Sabbath!!!:wtf:

Noneya

Reaction score

Are we talking 1. 'cant play', 2. dont like their style, or 3. plays the same thing over and over and over again?

for me:
1. Rikki Rocket, as soon as I saw the thread title I thought of him.
2. Keith Moon and Mitch Mitchell. I call it ape-shit drumming. It seemed to be popular at that time. I think its too much.
3. Phil Rudd. There is such a thing as too much Angus, and Phil is stuck in 4/4 land.

B

burningzeppelin

Phil Rudd, that guy is so boring. thank god for Angus and Bon Scott though.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: Worse Drummer In A 70s Rock Band

Zombeels:

The worst drummer of the 60's 70's and 80's has to be Mick Avory of the Kinks.

How is it then that you can like the Kinks so much if you think the band's drummer is terrible? How can a song sound good if the drumming doesn't provide a solid foundation?

:wtf:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Almost all drummers can keep a beat and even come up with some really neat-0 creativity, therefore, I would have to base my decision on who didn't fit well with the band. Their sound was off, compared to the band..........and that vote goes to the original drummer of Marillion, Mick Pointer. After he left Marillion in 1983 he took an extended leave from music and then was one of the founders of a band called Arena in 1995. I cant vouch for his talent with Arena because I am not familiar with their music, but he sure didn't fit with Marillion.

Another drummer I don't have much passion for is Meg White of The White Stripes.

Reaction score

How is it then that you can like the Kinks so much if you think the band's drummer is terrible?

:wtf:

I love the ramones, but that band is friggin terrible,
I can't really choose a worse drummer, I don't think about them enough, if a drummer does something I like I'll notice but I won't be able to pick my least favorite

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online