Worst Drummer In A 70s Rock Band

TheEvilErk2008

Hail the 80s!
Reaction score
outside my mind, in a little town called crazy
Re: Worse Drummer In A 70s Rock Band

anyone one that couldnt play anything outside of a four beat is a degredation to all rock...that didnt really take over until the 80s though...zepplins drummer, does not personally entertain me or impress me when compared to say peart or portnoy or any of those jazz and blues guys or stuff that adds in a few random things like 7/4 time...still, not so much the 70s...
i am personally offended by saying black sabath's drummer was you least of all the drummers, for you fail to realize he (and the rest of the band) were the creators of that style which has influenced nearly every heavy metal/rock band that came after them.

Last edited:

Zombeels

Reaction score

The worst drummer of the 60's 70's and 80's has to be Mick Avory of the Kinks.

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score

Bill Ward was an excellent rock drummer.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

aerozep said:
:eek: I HAVE TO GO WITH BILL WARD OF BLACK SABBATH....HOO BOY,THE PITTS I SAY THE PITTS...
HOW 'BOUT YOU ??
PEACE
Are you kidding; Buddy?...Bill Ward did some incredible drumming with Sabbath...a lot of their early stuff was half time Heavy Metal which is slow but Bill still did some artistic bass and snare patterns in all of those songs.And with the faster songs; he did a lot of really complex; exhausting stuff in them...check out some LIVE Sabbath from the 70's like War Pigs from Don Kirschner concerts and you will see that Bill was really into the groove!!

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score

Drummer Chris said:
Bill Ward did some incredible drumming with Sabbath...a lot of their early stuff was half time Heavy Metal which is slow but Bill still did some artistic bass and snare patterns in all of those songs.And with the faster songs; he did a lot of really complex; exhausting stuff in them...

You got that right!

Drugs, booze and age have taken their toll on Bill--who's not in good health anymore.

But in the 70's, he was one of the most creative and best rock drummers out there.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

This is a difficult subject because most drummers "in the business" at all are capable of keeping a beat and even basic drum fills.
Any drummer who was on a 70's record and tour was basically capable of playing their set well.
Instead, I'll mention a drummer who kinda blew his chance at the big time but who was a capable drummer, and that is Bob Burns from Lynyrd Skynyrd.
He quit just as the band was starting to get big, and Artimus Pyle, a very good drummer from Kentucky took his place, around 1974.
Of course, Bob Burns missed his chance at being in the plane crash too, so maybe it wasn't that bad of a choice.
Right, Bob?

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score

DarkWishWall said:
I know it's after the 70's, but Tommy Lee is terrible. In the seventies most punks could barely play their instruments so take your pick.

The average 70's rock drummer could play a heckuva lot better than most of the guys today.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.