Will Blues Die?

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Gearjammer said:
Spike, I think I have to agre with you on the point that young black America grew out of blues, and into r+b. I think that is partly why blues isn't a forefront musical style. I think another reason is the way rock and roll kind of seized the blues, ran with it, and in a way, morphed it into a larger overbearing genre. I mean rock and roll has always been like that, it bases itself on what in this country is typically "black" music and puts a new spin on it to sell to white audiences. It started with blues, thru r+b, disco, reggae, and now many hip hop or rap elements are finding their way inot mainstream rock.

But I think blues will always be active. Just as in the past there are variations on it. Some artists are known more for vocals, some guitar prowess, just like it always was. It is much like jazz, in that it has always been there, it is something you have to seek out. MTV, VH1, and contemporary radio don't celebrate it, which in a way is nice, because when you do find it, it is purer and far more enjoyable.

By the way Spike......that must have been one hell of a blues festival! It was a who's who of blues music.

Good post, Gearjammer. You're absolutely right about the way that rock has assimilated all kinds of black music styles over the years. But the sequencing of that process is interesting. In the early 50s, R&B emerged as a combination of blues and gospel. And rock 'n' roll emerged more from that mix than from the blues directly. But in the 60s, rock -- particularly the British blues rock of the Stones, Yardbirds, etc -- reached back to the Chicago blues of the 50s as a direct inspiration.

When I was 17 I was too young to really appreciate the greatness I was witnessing at that festival. But now that I'm three times that age, I feel too old to go out and find the authentic new blues that you say is still out there! :)

Spike

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
That IS quite a set. I don't listen to alot of blues but even I can see that's near an all-star lineup. Now I understand why you are devout to the blues.

Thanks, NDF. I attended the festival in 69, 70 and 72. For anyone interested, here's a link to the line ups:

http://www.a2.blues.jazzfest.org/history/lineup.html

The festivals were organized by John Sinclair, an interesting figure in the 60s counterculture. He was the manager of the legendary MC5, who I saw for free in the park on many Sunday afternoons. Sinclair was given a 10 year prison sentence for possession of two joints in 1969. Here's a link to a story about a benefit concert for Sinclair in 1971 that I also attended:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/entertainment/0112/10/d01-361730.htm

Ah, those were the days!!!

Spike

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Thanks Spike....

The thing I have found too is that blues seems to be popular for amatuer bands / open mike nights. I knew quite a few folks who were really into listening to and playing the blues, and I'm talking real deal stuff......Freddie King, Little Milton, Magic Sam, not just Eric Claptons version of the blues.

Unfortunately I don't get out to see it in person much nowadays, but there are some mid size blues festivals in the area. Most of my exposure to what's happening is on blues segments on some of the smaller radio stations.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
No doubt that it is, it's just nice to see people that know how and where the music came from, and imo, make there own interpertations from the roots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no purist. I love Clapton as well as Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, John Mayall, Jimi Hendrix, and Keith Richards.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
I thought it was important that one of the greatest rock guitarists decided to devote himself to the blues.

You can't listen to From the Cradle without understanding that the blues are at the core of Eric Clapton's being.

Spike

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Gearjammer said:
Unfortunately I don't get out to see it in person much nowadays, but there are some mid size blues festivals in the area. Most of my exposure to what's happening is on blues segments on some of the smaller radio stations.

At least you're exploring involves people who are still alive! :) I seem to spend most of my listening time with recordings from the 20s and 30s. I would be most appreciative for any recommendations any one has of specific blues recordings from the last five years.

Spike

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well you probably saw my reccomendation already but I'm a huge fan of Big Jack Johnson's Memphis Barbeque Sessions.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.