Will Blues Die?

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score
I love the Blues and always have ever since I was turned on to the genre. I am not sure about today's blues music. It may very well be becoming obsure but I do know that the blues in the past definately was not obsure. But maybe it was a reflection on the time. The very early blues were influenced by the hardships of the men and women who sang the blues. Maybe now, since things have changed and people have changed the blues doesnt have that "punch' it once had. I don't know. Its just a theory I have.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I know there are some new blues musicians out there, but it just seems like blues took a big hit when rocknroll began evolving from it. It's almost as if it DID die back in the 50's. Maybe the problem is in my perception more than anything. We don't see or hear about it as much anymore. It's something you got to find. The only blues acts I ever hear about are some of the all-time greats that have stayed active and actively toured, such as B.B. King. Other than brief moments, such as when SRV started to hit the scene, it's just never in the limelight like you'd figure it would be.

SRV showed that the core blues was still relevent, but why no one else after him to hold up that mantel? Sure we've got Jonny Lang, but he moved onto more pop-oriented stuff pretty quick. Or Kenny Wayne Shepherd, anyone heard from him lately?

Everybody's got respect for the blues, but where are the champions at?

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
The scene is there, but you have to be looking for it. There is an up and coming generation of blues musicians. But, you are not going to hear it on mainstream radio. Blues is much like jazz, its out there, but it is more of a club culture. I don't know where you are, and it may be different, but Boston has a fairly active blues scene.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
I know there are some new blues musicians out there, but it just seems like blues took a big hit when rocknroll began evolving from it. It's almost as if it DID die back in the 50's.

I partially agree with this. To me, it's all about the cycle of innovation we often see in many forms of vernacular music. The leading trend in popular pre WWII blues was the "Bluebird Sound," produced by Lester Melrose in RCA's Chicago studio in the 30s. This was an upbeat form of urban blues that was influenced by the swing music of the day, even featuring a clarinet at times.

But after WWII, the Bluebird Sound was passe and was swept away by something new. And that something new was the electric Chicago blues of the Chess brothers featuring Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Elmore James, etc... This amazing music emerged circa 1947 and had a HUGE impact on latter day rock.

But by the mid 50s, this powerful music had begun to decline in popularity with young American blacks. It started to sound stale compared to the energy of the newest R&B/rock 'n' roll that was on the juke boxes. While plenty of great blues was recorded during the 1955-65 era, very little of it ever made the R&B charts. That steady decline continued as the old generation died off and the music began to take on the air of a museum relic.

Spike

Last edited:

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
well, I like museum relics and I think a lot of people do.

that stuff has a shelf life. Everytime a Stevie Ray Vaughn or even a Deborah Coleman (somebody who does well but doesn't 'break out' to mainstream audiences) comes along people go looking for old records. I know, this happened to me when Johnny Winters championed Muddy Waters.

whenever this happens, a label like Alligator or something will have an opportunity to represent artists who never really caught on or who couldn't compete with the likes of the big names.

all in all, I think digital radio has been a boon to people who like museum music. you don't have to wade through a lot of stuff you DON'T like and you hear artists you DO like. I don't think a huge mainstream level of success is really all that important.
The Blues will live as long as people find out they like it. A few years ago there was a boon in 'Blues' oriented nightspots.
Who's to say that something like that or another Stevie Ray could be just around the corner?
I suspect, even if it isn't, the Blues is here to stay.

Last edited:

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this. I attended the festival below at the age of 17 and I have loved the blues ever since. I have a couple hundred CDs of blues music made between 1925 and 1970. To me, the music made by the musicians listed below possessed an authenticity that may no longer be possible to attain. I question whether anyone today is capable of such music. In examining my attitude, I may have a deep seated animosity toward modernity. I worship the traditional, the museum pieces. Am I a moldy fig? :)

Friday Night, 8/1/1969
Roosevelt Sykes
Fred McDowell
J.B. Hutto and the Hawks
Jimmy Dawkins
Junior Wells
B.B. King

Saturday Night
Sleepy John Estes
Luther Allison
Clifton Chenier
Otis Rush
Howlin' Wolf
Muddy Waters

Sunday Afternoon
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup
Jimmy "Fast Fingers" Dawkins
Roosevelt Sykes
Luther Allison & the Blue Nebulae
Big Joe Williams
Magic Sam
Big Mama Thornton
Freddy King

Sunday Night
Sam Lay
T-Bone Walker
Son House
Charlie Musselwhite with Freddy Roulette
Lightnin' Hopkins
James Cotton

Spike

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Spike, I think I have to agre with you on the point that young black America grew out of blues, and into r+b. I think that is partly why blues isn't a forefront musical style. I think another reason is the way rock and roll kind of seized the blues, ran with it, and in a way, morphed it into a larger overbearing genre. I mean rock and roll has always been like that, it bases itself on what in this country is typically "black" music and puts a new spin on it to sell to white audiences. It started with blues, thru r+b, disco, reggae, and now many hip hop or rap elements are finding their way inot mainstream rock.

But I think blues will always be active. Just as in the past there are variations on it. Some artists are known more for vocals, some guitar prowess, just like it always was. It is much like jazz, in that it has always been there, it is something you have to seek out. MTV, VH1, and contemporary radio don't celebrate it, which in a way is nice, because when you do find it, it is purer and far more enjoyable.

By the way Spike......that must have been one hell of a blues festival! It was a who's who of blues music.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.