Will Blues Die?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Spike said:
Thanks, AboutAGirl, I'll check em out!

Spike

If you like it then I'm very glad to be of service. (If you don't like it then I'm... glad to attempt to be of service.) :)

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how your taste runs Spike. Personally, while I appreciate the music of the 20's and 30's I have to admit that I find it difficult listening for extended periods, mostly because of the recording/sound quality, which is due to the era in which it was produced.

Have you ever heard Susan Tedeschi? She is a great singer / guitarist along the lines perhaps of Janis Joplin, with far better vocal capabilities. I actually had the pleasure of seeing her in a TINY lounge in a restaraunt in Marshfield, MA when she was still basically on the club scene. Shemeka(sp?) Copeland is also a fantastic vocalist.

There is another band out of Rhode Island called Roomful of Blues. Over the years they have featured guitarists such as Ronnie Earl and I believe Duke Robbilard. They have many cd's out as they have recorded 30+ years, and feature a great horn section, which personally, is my favortie shade of the blues, bands, like them, or B.B. King's band, in which horns play a prominenet role.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Funny....I was just watching a program with B.B., and he was talking about blues, and the feelings involved and he said " As long as there are people, places, and things, we will have the blues"

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Gearjammer said:
I suppose it depends on how your taste runs Spike. Personally, while I appreciate the music of the 20's and 30's I have to admit that I find it difficult listening for extended periods, mostly because of the recording/sound quality, which is due to the era in which it was produced.

Have you ever heard Susan Tedeschi? She is a great singer / guitarist along the lines perhaps of Janis Joplin, with far better vocal capabilities. I actually had the pleasure of seeing her in a TINY lounge in a restaraunt in Marshfield, MA when she was still basically on the club scene. Shemeka(sp?) Copeland is also a fantastic vocalist.

There is another band out of Rhode Island called Roomful of Blues. Over the years they have featured guitarists such as Ronnie Earl and I believe Duke Robbilard. They have many cd's out as they have recorded 30+ years, and feature a great horn section, which personally, is my favortie shade of the blues, bands, like them, or B.B. King's band, in which horns play a prominenet role.

Thanks, Gearjammer. I saw Roomful of Blues a few years back. They were excellent. I've seen the other two you've mentioned in the store but I've never heard em. I remember seeing a Susan Tedeschi CD once and she had all the Winnie the Pooh animals on her guitar. I'll admit that made me wonder if she should be taken seriously. :) I'll check them out.

I know what you mean about the recording quality of the old blues. Sound quality went up markedly when the microphone was invented in 1925. But not all recording companies immediately adopted the new technology. In particular, Paramount -- which discovered many of the best blues musicians of the late 20s -- never updated its sound quality. You have to be a fan, and I'll admit that I am, to listen to those old Paramount recordings regularly. Most of the blues labels went out of business during the heart of the depression because the market dried up. When the pace of recording picked up in 1934, all the new recordings used the much higher quality recording equipment. So they're much easier to listen to after that point.

Spike

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score
The Blues will never die out completely. It will always have a small, fiercely dedicated fanbase--like classical, jazz and many other great music genres.

The biggest FM classic rock station in my area has an excellent blues program every weekend, which is pretty popular.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Naw; blues won't die as long as life keeps dealing out the crap that we all experience at least some of the time

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
I do wonder though if people won't go to different genres to deal with the crap. That seems to be the case.
Yes; I agree that people have gone to other genres to express and console their angst; that has been happening for quite a while....BUT blues won't die because SOME people always find a lot of feeling and consolement in listening to current blues artists.Most cities; I'd probably say most in North America seem to have clubs or taverns where blues music is still performed.
I like listening to a lot of different music but still love the blues sometimes as well; especially either listening to it or playing it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online