Will Blues Die?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I don't think Blues will ever be totally ignored, but it seems like it's becoming very much an archaic genre of music. I pride myself in being able to identify and appreciate quality music but i've never quite been able to get into blues. I do like some blues, but it's almost like jazz nowadays in that it takes a little more to fully absorb it. It is remarkably simple but it doesn't feel very accessible. Blues will continue to live, but I feel that it will continue to dwindle in the hearts of music lovers.

What do you think?

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

There is still a thriving blues scene out there, though it always has it's ups and downs. So much of the greatest rock and roll is blues based. I think part of the reason it's not so high profile is that lack of radio outlets, with radio programming being so tightly regimented these days.

But, no doubt the landscape of the blues scene is getting grayer, but there is definitely some hot young players up and coming to keep it going.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I don't think it will ever die. Perhaps the musical landscape changes so it doesn't get as much attention but as Gearjammer pointed out, there are still young people discovering the genre and I think it will continue.

Look at classical music. It's been around for quite a while and while not as popular as it was once, it still has some great young talent up and coming.

algernon

Reaction score
I came to an appreciation of Blues late in life. One thing that will keep it alive is it's accessibility. You can sit down with other musicians anywhere and just PLAY because you know the forms.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'm with you, NDF. Blues doesn't seem very accessible. I mean I do really love the blues that I've been exposed to, but blues is extremely obscure it seems.

Even so I know some people who are deeply into blues. And speaking of Jazz, there are a bunch of high-quality jazz bands that play in my area, The Coffee Den even used to have jazz night each week. So I think maybe fans of jazz and blues aren't as vocal about it but they're there.

Personally I think rock is doomed to the same obscurity that blues, jazz, and classical has. It might not happen for a very long time, but eventually most people probably won't know the difference between The Who, Motley Crue, and Pearl Jam.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
but the people who know the difference will appreciate it.
I don't hear a lot of newer blues artists who knock me out, BUT they keep the old stuff alive. I hear more Little Walter now than I did twenty years ago, maybe because more younger players namecheck him.

obscurity ain't such a bad place, in fact, there's a lot of good stuff there!

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
but, if you tune to a Blues station on digital radio, I think you'll be amazed by how many newer artists seem to be making a living from that music.

well, MAYBE they still have to wait tables, you never know.

algernon

Reaction score
This may be old news to you Blues-philes, but KEN MO is a blues artist I just discovered and he seems really fresh.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
The blues is more of a feeling than a form. As long as the feeling is authentic, the blues will live, but certainly won't prosper.

Spike

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.