Where's the gig ?

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Here's another shot of Convention Hall/Paramount Theater in Asbury Park, NJ that was just taken today for the Annual Polar Bear Plunge (they do it on New Year's Day there too). I wanted to post this pic because it shows how close the venue is to the ocean. The building was built in 1928. The Paramount Theater and Convention Hall are adjacent to each other.

383624_10150460048741365_31836911364_8869157_331286036_n.jpg

Inside Convention Hall (which happens to be when Bruce was performing :D)
bruce2.jpg

Inside The Paramount Theater
3371276019_85d4d8d725.jpg

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Here's another venue I almost forgot and another beautiful old theater. The Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ.

Count_Basie_Theatre.jpg

Basie_02_home.jpg

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Some real belters on this thread, let me post a few....LOU I remember that gig at the marquee it was a cracker of a day:)

Here is the Leeds City Varieties Theatre I have seen some top bands here over the years, most recently was Focus and Arthur Brown:)

thumbnail.aspx

Here is the legendary Hummingbird in Birmingham, I saw The Ramones here, it has been closed as the Hummingbird for years:( this is what it is now as it has been renamed:(

Birmingham-Ballroom.png

This is the Leadmill in Sheffield, some great bands have played here, been a few times myself...

thumbnail.aspx

Here is the Globe in Stockholm, saw Simon & Garfunkel here:)

thumbnail.aspx

Here is Underworld in Camden, London, saw some legendary bands here over the years:)

thumbnail.aspx

Here is The Anvil in Basingstoke, great venue, saw America here:)

thumbnail.aspx

This is The Boardwalk in Sheffield, only 12 miles away from where I live, 15 mins by train, some great bands have played here, not open at the moment, we are still waiting to find out if it will ever reopen:(

thumbnail.aspx

Khor1255

Reaction score
Looking at this thread is a grim reminder that most of the smaller and even major venues I saw live acts in no longer exist. Wow, The Sandbar, Hammerjacks, Bay East, The Seagull Inn, even The Capitol and the Civic Center (I think that one was the one where Rush was booed off the stage while opening for Sha Na Na).

Maybe I'll try to find some archive pictures of these.

When I was working masonry we actually did the chimney on The Sandbar (I think it might have been called Network at the time) but the building no longer exists. I think a CVS stands on the spot now.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Some more NYC
Radio City Music Hall

radio_city_music_hall857.jpg

Avery Fischer hall (saw Neil young and Bert Jansch (RIP) there this year)
5516_5768_300_1.jpg

Carnegie Hall
carnegie_hall.jpg

BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music)
BrooklynAcadMusicConcertHall.jpg

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
In Amsterdam you have Paradiso, a former church. As a music hall it openend in 1968.
Some real good bands made their name.

paradisobuiten.jpg

paradisobinnen-1.jpg

vdgg.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ I think I've strolled by that one EF, would dearly liked to have paid a visit and took in a gig. :grinthumb

Nottingham Royal concert Hall or Royal Centre as it's now known. Just down the road from the Rock City. I think Motorhead about '84 was the first first gig I saw here.

Shepherds Bush Empire Theatre (02 Empire now) London UK, a cracking venue. Went to see The Zombies reunion a few years back.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I found this old photo of The Shoulder Of Mutton at Hardstoft Derbyshire UK, believe it or not some great bands have played here. My brother saw Steppenwolf and we both saw Slade there, they even booked Atomic Rooster in the 70's but that show was cancelled.

Here's the place today.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

The Spanish Moon

800px-Spanish_Moon_exterior_Baton_Rouge_LA.jpg

In the historic neighborhood known as Old South Baton Rouge, there is a night club and music venue called The Spanish Moon. The building occupied by The Spanish Moon – which has operated since 1997 and was named for the Little Feat song – dates back to the 1880s when it was first constructed as a firehouse. Patrons of the establishment report that it is haunted by at least one ghost. The apparition is alleged to be the spirit of a young man who gets his kicks by turning on beer taps and hurling glassware around the room. Legend has it that the ghost’s origins lie somewhere in the 1970s, a time when the use of the building has been best described as a “wino flophouse.” No doubt inhabited by hookers and hustlers, drinking whiskey and getting high on bad cocaine, the future home of The Spanish Moon was likely a rough place. One night in January 1973 Baton Rouge got so cold the rain froze on the ground. The whereabouts of Lowell George that night are unknown.

Spanish Moon

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Loving this thread Sox! Another NJ venue that was big in the day was The Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. It's a real shame that such a historic musical venue was eventually demolished.

From Wikipedia:
The Capitol Theatre was an entertainment venue located at the intersection of Monroe Street and Central Avenue in Passaic, New Jersey. Built in 1926 as a vaudeville house, the Capitol later served as a movie theater and (after John Scher bought the property) a venue for rock concerts.

Throughout the 1970s and into the mid 1980s, the 3,200 seat theatre was a popular stop on nearly every major rock artist's tour. The venue was known for its in house video system which resulted in a number of good quality, black and white video bootlegs. After it closed, the building fell into disrepair and it was demolished in April 1991. A shopping center known as Capitol Plaza occupies the site now.

The Marshall Tucker Band concert from February 18, 1977, which was recorded at the Capitol Theatre was released on December 4, 2007 as a 2 CD/DVD package, called Carolina Dreams Tour '77 marking the 30th anniversary of the concert, on Shout! Factory/Ramblin' Records distributed by Sony BMG. This is the only known footage of a complete concert by the original members of The Marshall Tucker Band.

Notable appearances

The Byrds (Last concert before break-up)
The Four Seasons (Promoter James B. Sansone 1972)
Stray Cats (1/2 hour before showtime... Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble were added to the bill.)
The Grateful Dead - June 18, 1976 (recorded and released, as Download Series Volume 4)
Mountain 1974
Peter Gabriel - March 5, 1977 (his very first concert as a solo artist)
The Rolling Stones - June 14, 1978
The Who - September 10-11, 1979
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - September 19-21, 1978 (The Sept. 19th show was broadcast throughout the tri-state area and remains an infamous concert, among fans, for the intensity of the performance.)
The Clash - March 8, 1980
Genesis - May 28, 1980
The Allman Brothers Band - December 16, 1981
Dave Edmonds' Ten Great Guitars, with Link Wray, Dickey Betts, Johnny Winter, Brian Setzer, Steve Cropper, David Gilmour, Neal Schon, Lita Ford and Tony Iommi (On November 3, 1984)

capmarquee1.png

capitol_interior.gif

FinalCurtain1.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online