Where Are The Songs That Reflect Our Current Times?

Khor1255

Reaction score
They actually do have a coherent agenda (several different topics on their website) but it's hard to express them all at once. Not like "End The War" signs during Vietnam where those groups had only 1 focused agenda. And of course when the media did report on the Occupy movement, they painted them as lunatics, like you said.
It is really a shame they refused to organize or even have an agreed spokesman. To make a movement successful you sometimes have to do some hard work, including curtailing your communist/anarchist drivel for the greater good.

I don't have a problem with what they said or where they said it (who cares if it's here in the US or overseas?) However, it was a bad business decision to criticize the president because now you're alienating everyone who voted for him. They should've just said they were against the war.
In the time frame they said it it was extremely tasteless. We were just kicked in the teeth hard and the last thing anyone wanted to hear is criticism for people who were trying (in an admittedly ham fisted way) to fix that.

I can't help but wonder though, would the American public have had the same reaction if Springsteen had said it? I think not. Then again, Bruce is smart enough to let his music do the talking for him (i.e.-Born In The USA).
Yeah, that's what I meant. Such crap is much easier to take from some folks than others.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder though, would the American public have had the same reaction if Springsteen had said it? I think not. Then again, Bruce is smart enough to let his music do the talking for him (i.e.-Born In The USA).

Actually, I saw Springsteen on his Seeger Sessions tour, and he did inject a bit of politics.

I forget what he was talking about exactly, but he referred to "That unfortunate accident in the White House"

Some cheered, some booed. The Boss started the next song.

You're probably right, though. It might not only be what they said, but who said it.

Barbara Streisand (I think I misspelled both:heheh:) actually had a W. impersonator incorporated in her show, on stage acting like a clueless buffoon. That's a premeditated (and not to mention rehearsed as well) attack, not an off the cuff remark.

And yet, it was nothing but a blurb in the news. Here and gone.

As Shemp would say, "Well, that don't sound right no how, somehow."

Khor1255

Reaction score
W actually said he didn't care about the whole thing and was glad we lived in a country where people were free to say such things.

Aero

Reaction score
W actually said he didn't care about the whole thing and was glad we lived in a country where people were free to say such things.

Not anymore you're not. Not after all these new bullshit laws have been passed.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what they said or where they said it (who cares if it's here in the US or overseas?) However, it was a bad business decision to criticize the president because now you're alienating everyone who voted for him. They should've just said they were against the war.
people don't care if they alienate those that voted for or against him, as long as they can use their right to free speech to bitch and moan, that's all that matters to most.

Springsteen has been stumping his bullshit politics in concert for many years.

While some may consider the title track to Born in the USA "clever masking of a stance", he hasn't really hidden it in quite a few years, either in his lyrics or while on stage.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Maybe there aren't any songs reflecting our times today because no one really knows what direction to go.

The 60s was rife with songs that reflected society, because there were a lot of things going on in the world.

Viet Nam
Women's Rights
Desegregation
The Civil Rights Movement
Sex Drugs and Rock And Roll
The Cold War

And that's just off the top of my head.

The sixties was a time when people got their own ideals heard. Social conscience gained a voice it never had before.

Before that, it was The Nelsons in households. Father worked, mother made dinner, (In a dress and heels), The kids played ball and hopscotch and everyone just went along with it because that was just how it was in America.

A lot of upheaval and change, god, bad, and ugly, happened in the sixties. There was a lot more to sing about.

Aero

Reaction score
Maybe there aren't any songs reflecting our times today because no one really knows what direction to go.

The 60s was rife with songs that reflected society, because there were a lot of things going on in the world.

Viet Nam
Women's Rights
Desegregation
The Civil Rights Movement
Sex Drugs and Rock And Roll
The Cold War

And that's just off the top of my head.

The sixties was a time when people got their own ideals heard. Social conscience gained a voice it never had before.

Before that, it was The Nelsons in households. Father worked, mother made dinner, (In a dress and heels), The kids played ball and hopscotch and everyone just went along with it because that was just how it was in America.

A lot of upheaval and change, god, bad, and ugly, happened in the sixties. There was a lot more to sing about.

You don't think we have something to sing about these days??

- People are being filmed nearly everywhere these days, creepily reminiscent of the novel, 1984.
- Robots are incorporating themselves into our lives
- Many countries economies are on the verge of disaster.
- People are waking up to the fact that politics are just a grand play put on for the masses to make them think they have a choice...when both sides are really just puppets for the global elite.
- Our freedoms are being taken away from us little by little

This is one of the worst times to live in recent memory. I think there's a lot to sing about these days.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
You don't think we have something to sing about these days??

Never said that.

Didn't think it, either.

I believe I posted earlier in this thread that people today are more concerned with how things affect them than how it affects society as a whole. It seems to be an 'every man for himself' mindset.

I can't prove that, of course, it's just a theory.

Last edited:

Aero

Reaction score
Never said that.

Didn't think it, either.

Well you said, "A lot of upheaval and change, good, bad, and ugly, happened in the sixties. There was a lot more to sing about. "

From this, I infer that you meant there is hardly anything to sing about today as compared to then.

I believe I posted earlier in this thread that people today are more concerned with how things affect them than how it affects society as a whole. It seems to be an 'every man for himself' mindset.

I can't prove that, of course, it's just a theory.

This is a good point and totally true. Although what affects one affects us all so even though most people are only concerned about themselves, in theory, this shouldn't change anything.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online