what year or with what band did "classic rock" STOP for you?

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
I've had this discussion with others before, & hold the distinct minority view that Classic Rock has more to do with a style of music than it does with any strict chronology or year of production.

In other words, the new Black Label Society is certainly not Classic Rock. It may be Metal, but there is a lack of distinct melodies & memorable chord progressions. It may be the sound of 2006, but it has little to do with the song structures of, say, early Black Sabbath or Zep or Humble Pie.

However, I think the relatively new Collective Soul cd/dvd "Home" recorded with the Altanta Youth Orchestra falls completely within the Classic Rock style or category, even tho it was only recorded & released in the last year.

nfiom1.jpg

I could see a guy like John Fogerty being completely comfortable sitting in or recording any of CS's songs, because they are very in a similar Classic Rock style as his work with Credence Clearwater Revival.

I don't subscribe to the idea that a song or band has to be of a certain age before it can be considered Classic Rock.

I think it's more important for the work of art to embrace certain musical & production techniques or styles. That's how I tend to categorize music, more than what chronological era it was composed in.

:cheers: I agree with Pooledude, and BTW That Collective Soul DVD is really really good.
:cheers:

Zrocker

Reaction score
When I was in High School Deep Purple reunited. Remember how awsome that was. They even had TV comercials on it. YES also returned with 9020whatever it was. Whitesnake became popular. Though I found the 87 recording to be quite a disapointment having only reciently discovered Ready and Willing and not hearings some of the even weaker snake like Trouble.

I think that perhpas rock is dead or severly retarded when I find a new DP in the cut out bin. Yep, that is how I found the spectacular Pupendicular.

"Long live rock and roll if in doubt give a shout" Dio era Rainbow.

Perhaps if rock died it was in the 90s just because other then Soundgarden I don't recall much worth getting excited about.

Of cource there are always good bands. You just don't hear them get air play. Would have been cool if "You Call That Art?" had made it big.

Their "Window washer who was afraid of heights" sounded like it could have been a Beatles song yet I saw them win over a crowd when they oppened locally for Quiot Riot.

Perhpas when Kiss put out a disco album. Though I alwyas get a kick out of hearing "Girl I was made for loving you."

Last edited:

finebyfive

Reaction score
Anything passed 79.

My fav classic rock station started playing songs from the 80's (like Robert Palmer:rolleyes:) about 2 or 3 years ago, its sooo disappointing.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online