what year or with what band did "classic rock" STOP for you?

Jessi

Reaction score
I stick by the opinion that classic rock ended in the late 70s, probably 76 or 77 with a few good bands / albums / songs still around after that, but not many. I really don't consider anything from the 80s classic rock.

I agree with Telecat - from about 65 to 77 is when I consider music "classic rock".

saviour_of_rock

Reaction score
I don't beleive it was a year at all, there is still albums being released by a lot of those bands.

However, I beleive the last classic rock band was Guns N Roses

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
For me, it didn't really end with a group or year, but more an era. The hair bands of the 80s, which I like to call the Zep wannabes, pretty much did it for me. :puke:

squeedle53

Chunkadelic!
Reaction score
I think "classic rock" does embody those acts in that time period ('60's thru '70's) that were completely original. There was no mistaking any tune by Cream for The Beatles or The Byrds, etc. Each band had a unique sound and look, no mistaking the Stones for Deep Purple, and so on. Any subsequent act that sounds like Led Zeppelin or Hendrix or The Who are not classic rock, in my estimation.

I'm just sayin' . . .

Foggy Hat

Reaction score
1985 is my official cut off date, mostly because of Nirvana, and the chilli peppers changed everything........
And yes, I think that Whitesnake, and twisted sister ARE classic rock, but that's just because I'm a bit younger I guess.

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
I'll be arbitrary here and say the golden era of "classic rock" ended with the debut of MTV. That is, the emphasis shifted from the musicianship to the ability to look good in a video. That's not to say there wasn't some good music created after that time, it's just the marker I use to divide between "classic rock" and after.

JcS

runtfan

Reaction score
I'll be arbitrary here and say the golden era of "classic rock" ended with the debut of MTV. That is, the emphasis shifted from the musicianship to the ability to look good in a video. That's not to say there wasn't some good music created after that time, it's just the marker I use to divide between "classic rock" and after.

JcS

That's about as good a description of how I feel as anything I could come up with. And like Joey said, there's been plenty of good music since then ( a minority for sure, but still plenty of it), but the classification won't mean anything unless you draw a line somewhere, and for a chronological line, the advent of MTV is as good as anything.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
U2 is classic rock, as far as I care. Phish is classic rock,as far as I care. Dave Matthews and Ben Folds are classic rock, as far as I care. Lenny Kravitz is classic rock, as far as I care. King's X is classic rock, as far as I care.

To me, classic rock is great rock music that transcends its time and becomes timeless. I think that kind of music is still being made, but has to be searched for a little more than it used to.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I was really into Rock until the mid seventies. Then I began to stray. By 1980 I had wandered into a dark period in my life. The shadow of country music creeped into my life. Eventually I saw the light and came back to classic rock. Now I listen a little to older country some newer music but lots of the music from mid sixties to mid seventies. Theres no place like home.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online