what year or with what band did "classic rock" STOP for you?

deezee

Reaction score
foggy hat's thread about our ages made me think about this. there has to be a cut-off year or group that makes the difference in your head between what's new and what's classic. this isn't to signify that what's new now won't be classic in 20 years...not for me but for some of the younger posters on here perhaps. but for me it's hard to think of anything much past the late 70's as classic rock.

what's your cut off point if you actually have one?

Orion

I'm A Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. For me it would have to be 1979. I think I bought the album "Joes Garage" that year. After that, the genre kinda died for me :D

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I've had this discussion with others before, & hold the distinct minority view that Classic Rock has more to do with a style of music than it does with any strict chronology or year of production.

In other words, the new Black Label Society is certainly not Classic Rock. It may be Metal, but there is a lack of distinct melodies & memorable chord progressions. It may be the sound of 2006, but it has little to do with the song structures of, say, early Black Sabbath or Zep or Humble Pie.

However, I think the relatively new Collective Soul cd/dvd "Home" recorded with the Altanta Youth Orchestra falls completely within the Classic Rock style or category, even tho it was only recorded & released in the last year.

nfiom1.jpg

I could see a guy like John Fogerty being completely comfortable sitting in or recording any of CS's songs, because they are very in a similar Classic Rock style as his work with Credence Clearwater Revival.

I don't subscribe to the idea that a song or band has to be of a certain age before it can be considered Classic Rock.

I think it's more important for the work of art to embrace certain musical & production techniques or styles. That's how I tend to categorize music, more than what chronological era it was composed in.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
yeah, they play the new Who on my "classic rock" station and I seem to think they should.
but then, they play Lenny Kravitz too.
hmmm.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I tend to think classic rock is a sound that simply originated in the late 60's. I think classic rock started around '66 with stuff like the Beatles Revolver, Cream and Hendrix's Experience. Obviously bands like Guns and Roses drew from early Aerosmith so I can consider them classic rock but radio tends to put a time stamp on the genre from about '65 to '85.

How 'bout this. When is music considered "oldies"? I know oldies stations that play Deep Purple's Hush and that should be considered classic rock in my book.

Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I feel that new classic rock groups stopped coming into existence at the end of the 70s. But I consider new albums by people like Tom Petty and Neil Young to be classic rock.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Hasn't stopped yet. LOL Mostly because of groups like Collective Soul - as Pooldude pointed out - and classic rockers like Neil Young and Tom Petty - as About A Girl has pointed out- are still putting out excellent music.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
For me it never really stopped but there has been periods where it was really out of trend so the output of good classic rock has been a trickle at times.
Good thing that bands like STP, the Allmans, Govt Mule, Rolling Stones and many others kept the flame alive all these years.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
It's hard to know when "classic rock" ended when there is no clear definition of what it was or when it started. Personally, I've never liked "classic rock" as a term. I'd guess that it was coined by a radio programmer in the 80s to describe album-oriented rock played primarily by white men that emerged circa 1967. Depending on how narrowly you define it, that leaves out about half of the rock & soul music that I would consider "classic." Of course it wasn't called "classic rock" at the time the music was made. In the mid 70s, some called it hard rock; I had feminist friends who called it "cock rock." Although the lack of a clear definition makes it difficult to pinpoint when it ceased to exist, IMHO it ended as a collective force with the coming of the Sex Pistols, the Clash etc circa 1977.

Orion

I'm A Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Pooldude to an extent. I agree that clasic rockers are still making classic rock but I have yet to get a classic rock feeling from the newer groups mentioned and many others as well. The sound may be close but no cigar. Not that these groups are not rockin, they are but it just doesn't give me that same feel or vibe. The term "Classic Rock" unlike Jazz or Metal seems to imply an era not a style (except for the rock part :D) but that's just my $.02. I'm still waitng for a "Classic Metal" station to pop up somewhere :bonk:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online