Weird Al Yankovic

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Weird Al Yankovic

Weird+Al+Yankovic.jpg

On October 23rd, 1959, an extraordinarily bizarre creature was born. Little did Downey, California know, this hooligan would soon live nearby, in Lynwood, for the majority of its adolescence. Lynwood would thus be declared the home of the Weird One.

He began with the accordion; prompted by a traveling salesman, his parents had a choice between gifting the Weird One with an accordion or guitar. At age 6 his lessons began; he continued until he was almost ten, and decided to continue practicing on his own. Brilliant by nature, he started kindergarten a year earlier than the other children, and even progressed from 1st to 3rd grade - skipping 2nd grade entirely. He was a straight-A student and the valedictorian of his senior class. In high school he was part of the "Volcano Worshipers Club" for the sake of having a picture in the yearbook - which he provided many of the captions for. Which, I can only imagine, were hilarious.

Inspired by the likes of Elton John, Allan Sherman, Frank Zappa, Tom Lehrer, Sparks, and countless others, Al Yankovic thrived on all that was particularly unusual. He also fancied the Mad Magazine, the Monty Python comedy troupe, and the Zucker films (e.g.; Airplane, Kentucky Fried Movie, Top Secret).

Al's first career choice was not music. He actually earned a degree in architecture at the California Polytechnic State University. However, when he was 16, he submitted a tape to radio personality Dr. Demento, who was impressed with the talent of young Al. Al continued to play at small coffee shops, covering tunes with his accordion in tow. He earned his nickname of "Weird Al" in college when he became a disc jockey for the school's radio station. I can only imagine the havoc in that studio.

Al's first song to actually gather popular attention within the area was entitled "My Bologna" - a parody of the Knack's "My Sharona", which was a #1 hit in 1979. He recorded it in a bathroom and sent it to his trusty hero, Dr. Demento, who gave it some airplay. There was definitely a positive reaction to Al's triumph: Al soon met with Doug Fieger and the boys of The Knack. Doug said he liked the song, and wanted it to be released as a single. So it was. Al earned a six-month recording contract with Capitol records (home of the Knack).

It was then that Al decided to screw his future career in architecture, and pursue comedic music instead. In April of 1980, Al appeared as a guest on the Dr. Demento show, to record a parody he'd just written: "Another One Rides the Bus" (sound familiar? Queen, "Another One Bites the Dust"). He then enlisted the drummer that would stick with him for the majority of his career: Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz.

In 1981, Weird Al went on tour with his new band, which consisted of Steve Jay (bass), Jim West (guitar), and of course, Jon on drums. In June they opened for Missing Persons. Al's first top-40 hit was produced by Rick Derringer; it was a parody of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock n' Roll", titled, "I Love Rocky Road". It reached #6 in 1982.

Iloverockyroad.jpg

After the success of this single, Al signed with Scotti Brothers Records and cut his first LP, self-titled, in 1983. 1984 was a memorable year for Al; his second album "Weird Al Yankovic in 3-D" was released with a slew of popular parodies and polka covers of popular songs, its first single being "Eat It" (a parody of Michael Jackson's "Beat It") which climbed into social consciousness with a silly video to match.

Another notable song from this album was "I Lost On Jeopardy" - a parody of Greg Kihn's "Jeopardy". Among the blips of song covered by Al's accordion in the style of polka music (otherwise known as the "Polkas on 45" medley): "Smoke on the Water" (Deep Purple), "In a Gadda da Vida" (Iron Butterfly), "Hey Joe" (Jimi Hendrix), and "My Generation" (The Who).

In 1985 Al wrote and starred in a film "mockumentary" of his life, "The Compleat Al". Four years later he would star in his own film, "UHF".

(part two coming shortly.)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
In 1992, Al released "Off the Deep End", its album cover echoing back to Nirvana's "Nevermind". The album even featured a parody of Nirvana'***** "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Al called it "Smells Like Nirvana".

Another notable parody (and one of my personal favourites) he wrote was called "Can't Watch This" (in the style of MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This"). Another montage of polka covers was featured on this album; "Polka Your Eyes Out" featured accordion covers of "Cradle of Love" (Billy Idol), "Enter Sandman" (Metallica), "Cherry Pie" (Warrant), "Dr. Feelgood" (Motley Crue), and a large number of others.

Al's next album, Alapalooza, was released in 1993. It featured the "Bedrock Anthem", a parody of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Give it Away".

It also featured one of my favourite Al songs of all time, "Livin' in the Fridge" (a parody of Aerosmith's "Livin' On the Edge").

1996 saw the birth of Weird Al's 9th studio album, "Bad Hair Day". It has been said that Al wanted to record a parody of the Beatles' "Free As a Bird" (and call it "Gee, I'm a Nerd") but had to ask Yoko Ono, who, naturally, said no. The idea was canned. However, two highlights of "Bad Hair Day" were "Amish Paradise" (a parody of "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio) and "The Night Santa Went Crazy" which was a pastiche, or a style parody, of Soul Asylum's "Black Gold".

Al's final project of the 90s, "Running With Scissors", sported an album cover that alludes to Al's odd obsession with the number 27. It also features a nice pack of parodies, my favourite of the bunch being "Germs", a pastiche in the style of Nine Inch Nails.

And yes, there was yet another polka medley.

Throughout the 2000s Al continued to make music, pumping out pastiches of some of his favourite artists; for instance "Genius in France" is a style pastiche of Frank Zappa.

This was featured on Al's 2003 album "Poodle Hat", alongside some of his best work: "Couch Potato" (Parody of Eminem's "Lose Yourself"), "Trash Day" (Nelly's "Hot In Heere"), "A Complicated Song" (set to Avril Lavigne's "Complicated"), and "eBay" (a parody of The Backstreet Boys' "I Want it That Way").

Here's "Couch Potato" for you hooligans:

Al's latest work, "Straight Outta Lynwood" was released in 2006 and gave birth to Al's biggest hit yet: "White and Nerdy", a parody of "Ridin'" (Chamillionaire).

It reached #9 on the charts in the US, and #14 in Sweden.

On the more personal side of things, aside from Al's career, he has led quite a life. Al is a devoted vegan since 1992; he is also a devout Christian. He married his wife, Suzanne, in 2001; she later gave birth to their daughter, Nina, in 2003. Sadly, little Nina lost her grandparents before she was old enough to know who they were. Al's parents both passed away on April 9th, 2004, after their chimney flue had been closed, trapping carbon monoxide in their home, and poisoning both of them to death. Little more than an hour after hearing about his parents' passing, Al went on to play a venue, figuring that if his music enlightened his fans, it could do the same for him.

Aside from writing parodies and pastiches, Al also writes original material, and has even directed some music videos. Al has won 3 Grammy awards: Best Comedy Recording ("Eat it", 1984), Best Concept Music Video ("Fat", 1988), and Best Comedy Album ("Poodle Hat", 2003).

Personal input from the Lady:

I absolutely love this man. He is my inspiration for all the silly things I do with writing; I write parodies from time to time after spending so many years closely studying and listening to Al's music. Whenever I'm feeling pissed off or sad, I put on some of his music, and it never fails to get me laughing. Al is one of my greatest heroes when it comes to writing, and having a sense of humour in a world that's too goddamn serious.

And, I love his style pastiche of Sparks. It's called "Virus Alert".

There's even a cartoon Ron Mael in the video. I love you, Weird Al.

Now, let's have some (more) music, video clips, pictures, etc. This man is far too great to not have an epic thread.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
I love Weird Al! Here is how I was first exposed as a youngin'

Ever since then, I have been very fond of him~~
Some really funny stuff in UHF, here is one great scene!

always liked this song and video too lol

not to mention the ones you have already posted Lady and much much more!!!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
If there is one thing that has always impressed me about Weird Al above all else it's that I know both mega nerds who hardly know anything about music outside of video game soundtracks and metalheads alike who are big fans of his music. He has one of the widest fanbases. :good

Al is the king of parodies, no two ways about it. There are a lot that I think are brilliant and others.....that I think are on the lame side. That aside though I really like his original songs.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great thread Lady!!

I've always been a fan. I always loved novelty songs & parodies so it's only natural I'm a fan of Weird Al. My favorite stuff by him are his polka medleys:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
"Weird Al" Yankovic is the king of novelty artist! :grinthumb My favorite parody he did is already listed with "Amish Paradise"! I thought it was hilarious that Coolio flipped out about "Weird Al" parodying the song because it was too serious to parody. Now I loved "Gangstas Paradise" but anything is up for parody and

when you look like this:
Coolio-575-old.jpg

NOTHING YOU DO WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!!!
:oyea:

Also, I love the Polka Medleys on each album and look for them each time!!!

Cosmic is right though, some of "Weird Al's" best material is his originals! Here's my favorite original by him:

You Don't Love Me Anymore

Oh, and before I forget, GREAT thread as usual Lady!!!! :cheers2

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
"I even think it's kind of cute, the way you poison my coffee a little each day."

That's when I died laughing.
Oh my god, that's brilliant. :heheh:

And here's another original (and probably one of my favourite songs of all time).

I'd rather spend eternity eating shards of broken glass, than spend one more minute with you.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I'm laughing my balls off with some of these videos and songs!

The man is a genius!

Everyone loves Weird Al!!!!

:cheers2

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I love Weird Al, not only are his songs funny, but he's got a pretty good voice and has the perfect one for the music he sings. Very talented guy.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
My favorite song of Al's is Trigger Happy. Funny stuff. Anybody know what that one was based on?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online