U2 (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
U2 to Release New Music on Black Friday

U2.jpg

U2 will release their first new music since 2009′s ‘No Line on the Horizon’ as part of Black Friday’s Record Store Day on Nov. 29.

A two-song, 10-inch vinyl single will include a new track called ‘Ordinary Love,’ as well as a re-recording of ‘Breathe,’ which originally appeared on ‘No Line.’ Only 10,000 copies of the record will be issued.

‘Ordinary Love’ was written for a new biopic, ‘Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,’ about the anti-apartheid leader that opens on Nov. 29. The movie’s producer, Harvey Weinstein, said the band was inspired to write ‘Ordinary Love’ after seeing early clips of the film. Likewise, the group’s update of ‘Breathe’ is listed as the ‘Mandela Version.’

The Record Store Day single arrives as U2 continue to work on their long-awaited follow-up to the No. 1 ‘No Line on the Horizon.’ Bassist Adam Clayton has said that the new LP will include 12 songs and that the band should finish recording by the end of November.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I am actually a big U2 nut but the 90's stuff is completely forgettable for me.

The first of their stuff was all awesome:
Boy (1980)
October (1981)
War (1983)
The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
The Joshua Tree (1987)
Rattle and Hum (1988)

the signs started with Achtung Baby (1991) a bunch of just forgettable releases for me....
Zooropa (1993), Pop (1997), All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)

On the Zooropa Album the last track "The Wanderer" with Johnny Cash is an awesome track. "Beautiful Day" is a good track for the 2000 release. Other than that it was Poop

It seemed like they were trying to experiment musically or something and keep it largely commercially viable and it was just forgettable.

Then you have these:

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004)
This is an awesome piece of work that took me back to their originals as far I am concerned. Simply a good album, commercial yeah maybe but it was great stuff.

No Line on the Horizon (2009). It totally got a bad wrap, but is actually a great piece of work IMO. And I think I am in the minority on this one

I highly suggest giving it a chance. The second I bought this one I put it in the Car stereo, thought it was crap was completely disappointed threw it aside after the first listen. I just didn't get it. I let it go for a few days.. took a deep breath and played it again, I ended up playing the living hell out it, once I got it. If you give it a chance listen to it more than once and see if grabs ahold.

But it is all subjective. :grinthumb

Got to agree with you about the '80s stuff, and the timeline of when it started to go a little downhill, although at the time I put it down to them trying to 'move forward'. In 1980 I was working in Belfast. The young guy whose parents ran the hotel I was staying in got talking to me about 'This Irish Band U2 - they're going to be huge'. I knew of them, and had a couple of tracks on a compilation tape, but, tbh, I didn't take a lot of notice :bonk:

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
U2 is undoubtedly my all-time favourite band but they lost me a bit from 2000 onwards. I absolutely love everything from the debut, 'Boy' to 1997's 'Pop'.

2000's ATYCLB was stripped down and showed an interesting new direction for them but something wasn't right. It was too safe-sounding. The lyrics were not as good as before. It was not really like a return to Joshua Tree days because JT had incredible songwriting! Anyway, I did not hate ATYCLB or anything. I still listen to it every now and then.

But 2004's HTDAAB was worse. It sounded like such a collection of hits manufactured for the charts. I think it is their worst album.

Thankfully with 2009's NLOTH, they somewhat bounced back... despite the horrid first single in Get On Your Boots.

New album is coming up soon. Nobody knows which direction they will go in. :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Their early years were my favorite, the 90's they seemed to be experimenting to keep from repeating themselves.

I'll give the new album a listen when it comes out.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^Their early years were my favorite, the 90's they seemed to be experimenting to keep from repeating themselves.

I'll give the new album a listen when it comes out.

I was wondering if you have the concert they did "Under a Blood Red Sky" on DVD?

After I purchased U2s "War" Album and being impressed with that, I brought "Under a Blood Red Sky" on CD which was ok, though I guess given the album originally came out in Vinyl it's quite a short with only 8 tracks.
Later on I found the concert had been released on DVD and it looked really impressive with lots of their early songs on it, in 5.1 format, though like a fool didn't bother to buy it when I saw it and now it's like I won't find it again. :uh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I was wondering if you have the concert they did "Under a Blood Red Sky" on DVD?

After I purchased U2s "War" Album and being impressed with that, I brought "Under a Blood Red Sky" on CD which was ok, though I guess given the album originally came out in Vinyl it's quite a short with only 8 tracks.
Later on I found the concert had been released on DVD and it looked really impressive with lots of their early songs on it, in 5.1 format, though like a fool didn't bother to buy it when I saw it and now it's like I won't find it again. :uh:

No I don't have the DVD CP/M...are you sure you can't find a copy somewhere? I haven't looked but will check out a few sources and let you know what I find.

I do have War and Under A Blood Red Sky on vinyl, inherited from my brother.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
No I don't have the DVD CP/M...are you sure you can't find a copy somewhere? I haven't looked but will check out a few sources and let you know what I find.

I do have War and Under A Blood Red Sky on vinyl, inherited from my brother.

Yeah the DVD came out in 2008 with the video remastered and the audio remastering as directed by the Edge. This concert appears to have been released originally on VHS at 55 minutes, though the DVD extends the concert to 82 minutes. The alternative name for this released has been called "U2 - Live at Red Rocks", I guess given it only came out some 5 years ago, I should be able to get it. I found it on Amazon though it's a bit rich there at $58.

The track listing appears like this:

"Out of Control"
"Twilight"
"An Cat Dubh" / "Into the Heart"
"Surrender"
"Two Hearts Beat as One"
"Seconds"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Cry" / "The Electric Co."
"October"
"New Year's Day"
"I Threw a Brick Through a Window"
"A Day Without Me"
"Gloria"
"Party Girl"
"11 O'Clock Tick Tock"
"I Will Follow"
"40"

mrJim

Reaction score

is it this one?

Disc #1 -- U2: Live at Red Rocks - Under a Blood Red Sky
2. Out of Control [5:07]
3. Twilight [4:28]
4. An Cat Dubh [4:27]
5. Into the Heart [2:38]
6. Surrender [5:24]
7. Two Hearts Beat As One [4:20]
8. Seconds [3:15]
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday [5:48]
10. Cry/The Electric Co. [4:38]
11. October [2:10]
12. New Year's Day [4:45]
13. I Threw a Brick Through a Window [3:52]
14. A Day Without Me [3:00]
15. Gloria [5:12]
16. Party Girl [3:05]
17. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock [5:06]
18. I Will Follow [3:59]
19. "40" [5:25]

"http://www.secondspin.com/movies/product-detail.jsp?id=2839076"

CP/M the site doesn't seem to like the hyper link copy paste into your browser

its used but I order from them and have never had a disc issue

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Yeah looks good, all the australian sites I'm finding it on want lots of money (over $50) for it. There seems to be some mixed emotions about this DVD though by the looks of it, so it might be better to get it for less.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online