Peter Gabriel (Official Thread)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
MI0003007045.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpg

I am quite surprised that there is no official thread here for Peter Gabriel's solo work. He is an accomplished artist who has really pushed the boundaries of music through his wonderfully eclectic mix of prog rock, pop rock, world music and experimental.

Studio Albums:

Peter Gabriel/Car (1977)
Peter Gabriel/Scratch (1978)
Peter Gabriel/Melt (1980)
Peter Gabriel/Security (1982)
So (1986)
Us (1992)
Up (2002)

For the longest time I actually only knew his biggest hits from the albums, So and Us. But as I immersed myself in those complete albums, I realized what a world of absolutely gorgeous stuff he has written!

I only recently got his debut album as well as the third critically acclaimed one. They're definitely growers compared to So or even Us.

Fav songs from his discography include:

Red Rain
Digging In The Dirt
Sledgehammer
Steam
Blood Of Eden
Secret World
In Your Eyes
Kiss That Frog
Humdrum
Here Comes The Flood
Games Without Frontiers
I Don't Remember
Not One Of Us
Lead A Normal Life
Biko

Please, let's discuss your favourite songs and albums here!
smile.gif

PS: I didn't put this thread in the 70s section because, though he started out in the 70s he has been making music for more than 3 decades now! And anyway, his musical style is so unique that I didn't think the thread belonged in a 70s rock sub-forum.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I have yet to warm up completely to his debut album except Humdrum, Here Comes The Flood and Modern Love to an extent.

gguerra

Reaction score
I've been a big fan since 1982.

He played Dallas at the Agora Ballroom and it was a fantastic show.
Set list here Peter Gabriel Concert Setlist at Agora Ballroom, Dallas on December 9, 1982 | setlist.fm

I saw him again in 1986 with the "So" tour and it was also an unforgettable night. It was probably in my top 3 concerts of all time.
Set list here Peter Gabriel Concert Setlist at Reunion Arena, Dallas on December 8, 1986 | setlist.fm

He is still one of my top favorites. I have all of his albums up to "Big Blue Ball".

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Exceptional artist. Deep songs. Absolutely Brilliant with Genesis. I can't praise Peter Gabriel enough.:bow: As Musikwala hints at, a lot of his music is difficult to get into, but it is really worth the effort. :grinthumb

Besides the albums already mentioned, there a few more -
Scratch My Back - 2010
New Blood - 2012

and his live albums
Peter Gabriel Plays Live - 1983
Secret World Live - 1994
Live Blood - 2012

In addition to his studio and live albums, he has also written a few soundtracks which are also quite interesting, especially if you're a fan of his -
Birdy - 1985
Passion - 1989
OVO - 2000
Long walk Home - 2002

One of my favourite (and more commercial) songs of his - Blood of Eden with Sinaed O'Conner from Us

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Hardly and expert on Gabriel,but from what I HAVE heard,I don't hesitate to put the genius label on the man,particularly judging from his pre-solo Genesis days.Highly creative and articulate.In his solo years,particularly with "SO",he managed to maintain these attributes while becoming more accessible to the mainstream WITHOUT selling out.Gotta respect that...................

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online