Tribute Bands Rocking Up Sales on iTunes

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I'm all for tribute bands, nothing wrong with going to see tribute bands, if you enjoy doing so...

But now, some people are buying tribute bands songs on itunes?

Here's the link for the article, that includes videos of Beatles, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd tribute bands - who sound great by the way...but , why would anyone want to buy their .mp3's or CDs?

Link: Tribute Bands Rock Sales on iTunes

Discuss...

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A lot of musicians record cover songs......I have no problem with tribute bands earning a living off the "rights" they have paid for to record the songs. The original song writers receive royalties, so what is the problem?

If anyone doesn't want to buy the songs by tribute bands, then dont buy them! People buy the mp3's because they like what they hear, who are we to criticize what others buy?

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
A lot of musicians record cover songs......I have no problem with tribute bands earning a living off the "rights" they have paid for to record the songs. The original song writers receive royalties, so what is the problem?

If anyone doesn't want to buy the songs by tribute bands, then dont buy them! People buy the mp3's because they like what they hear, who are we to criticize what others buy?

Makes sense to me..

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should be criticized, I just thought it was a little odd.

This story was found under ''weird news'' on AOL.

Anyway, here's the three of the tribute bands that were featured in the article. They're pretty good...

Led Zepagain - Trailer - "The Song Remains the Same"

Fab Four Live Las Vegas Beatles Tribute Show

Which One's Pink? - Pink Floyd Tribute Band

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that if people are going to buy the music anyway, then tribute bands have as much of a right to earn a living as anybody else.

For a tribute band, it is either go that route or rely solely on the money you make from playing bars and clubs, which can be dicey to say the least.

Cynical people will say maybe these groups ought to come up with their own songs. My response? There are a lot of people out there who love to "play" music or perform, but not necessarily everyone has a desire to write songs.

Go into any department store (i.e. Walmart) and look in their Various Artists cd rack. What do you see? Budget priced cd's or 2-3 disc sets full of music either "covered" by the likes of the Countdown Singers, Hit Crew, etc. or "new stereo recordings by the original artist" (rerecorded).

Is the tribute band thing really any different than that?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Those songs are pretty good, Groovy!

I can see where people would want to buy the mp3's if the songs are good. There definitely is room in the market for tribute bands.

:tup:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Good music is all that matters. I love a well done cover song on occasion.

The real question is why people spend so much on itunes when emusic is about
half the price.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I have one tribute band's album in my collection. The Machine did an "Unplugged" album and since it's always been my dream for the real PF to do an Unplugged, of course I picked up the album. Unfortunately the setlist they chose was more of a Syd Barrett Unplugged than a Pink Floyd Unplugged, which disappointed me. But it's still a cool CD doing Pink Floyd music in a way the real band never chose to and they picked a few good songs like If, Fearless, Fat Old Sun.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online