Thoughts on Grunge music

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am the last person to get into "genre" labels, but who said it was labeled as metal?

I didn't see that mentioned in the posts...or are you all referring to personal experiences outside this thread?

Well I was replying to Nololob with that post you quoted. :tongue:
I was agreeing with a point he made about it being labelled metal. :heheh:
I don't usually care for labels too much but as far as Grunge goes I think it falls under the rock subgenre and not a metal subgenre.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned it is metal. Pure and simple. Some of it is so straightforward metal as to make you wonder why anyone would call it anything else.

I mean.....punk?

No.

College rock?

No.

What else do you have? It is third generation metal. Let me break it down.

1st generation = Black Sabbath etc
2nd generation = Judas Priest, Angel Witch, Iron Maiden etc
3rd generation = grunge.

Period.

Like I said, I am the last person to get into "genre" classifications. I think the obession by my most audiophiles to put all of their music into nice tidy "categories" is a fallacy. I am anti-category :oyea:

But I do believe that a lot of the music that came out during this time period has merit.

Just an opinion.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Well I was replying to Nololob with that post you quoted. :tongue:
I was merely agreeing with a point he made. :heheh:

And I was just replying to your endorsment..I was curious as to why you made the statement, thats all. :heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And I was just replying to your endorsment..I was curious as to why you made the statement, thats all. :heheh:

Oh then its from experiences outside this forum to answer that question. :)
Labels aside my thoughts on Grunge are it was a movement that I really like in terms of what bands they were bringing up. I like the darker tone to the music particularly with Alice in Chains.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Oh then its from experiences outside this forum to answer that question. :)

Coolio...I am not the guy to be the flag holder for the "grunge" movement by any means, I was just curious. I have never really equated the term "grunge" to "metal".

But then again I was listening to Voivod and Celtic Frost during this time frame, so to me, there were big differences.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Like I said, I am the last person to get into "genre" classifications. I think the obession by my most audiophiles to put all of their music into nice tidy "categories" is a fallacy. I am anti-category :oyea:

But I do believe that a lot of the music that came out during this time period has merit.

Just an opinion.
If you don't like labels that's cool. For a band to get painted into a corner because they want to stay 'true' to a label is pathetic. So in a way I don't agree with labels either but as far as grunge goes, it always amused me when people got offended when I called it what it was....metal.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
So in a way I don't agree with labels either but as far as grunge goes, it always amused me when people got offended when I called it what it was....metal.

I certianly am not offended, as I am no champion for the "metal" genre either. But you are welcome to your opinion, and I am simply disagreeing with it. :cheers2

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The term grunge is just a marketing term. Love the bands that were marketed with that word for the most part though.

Marketing term probably does make sense. Call it grunge, call it metal, call it alternative rock. There was always going to be a term out there used to describe a certain movement. Like it was with thrash metal as a term.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I certianly am not offended, as I am no champion for the "metal" genre either. But you are welcome to your opinion, and I am simply disagreeing with it. :cheers2
I didn't think you would be but I remember arguing with 'champions of punk' who got all ruffled when I called grunge metal. To me it is quite simple. There was a difference between bands like Maiden and Sabbath and so there is a difference between bands like Angel Witch and Alice in Chains. It is a difference but there are striking similarities.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
There was a difference between bands like Maiden and Sabbath and so there is a difference between bands like Angel Witch and Alice in Chains. It is a difference but there are striking similarities.

I would agree with that statement.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online