"There will ne NO original Black Sabbath reunion."-Geezer Butler

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

GEEZER BUTLER Says There Will 'Definitely' Be 'No Reunion' Of Original BLACK SABBATH - Feb. 12, 2011
Legendary bassist Geezer Butler has released the following statement via his official web site:

"I would like to make it clear, because of mounting speculation and rumors, that there will be definitely NO reunion of all four original members of BLACK SABBATH, whether to record an album or to tour."

In a January 27 interview with the Los Angeles-based "Mark And Brian Show", which airs on 95.5 KLOS Southern California's Best Rock, SABBATH singer Ozzy Osbourne said, "I often get asked this question: 'Will there ever be a [new BLACK SABBATH studio] album?' One thing I can say for definite [is] we are all talking, we are all friends. But it's been 30 years since we did a studio album — if it's not something extra, extra special, the people are gonna go, 'We waited 30 years [for this...]' But before my life's over, I would love... my dream is to do the ultimate BLACK SABBATH album; I would love to do that."

Butler previously said in an interview with AOL's Noisecreep that while all four of the band's original members are interested in taking part in a reunion, Ozzy Osbourne's current world solo tour will keep SABBATH on ice for the foreseeable future. Butler explained, "It's not going to happen [in 2011]. Ozzy's on tour with his own band for the next year or whatever . . . I'm sure Ozzy will say 'yes' and 'no' every week for the next year while he's on tour. It's one thing to want to do something like that just before you go out to tour a record. You say, 'Oh yeah, I'm gonna tour for the next five years.' And then six weeks into it, you can't wait to get home. So we'll just see how he feels when he finishes his Ozzy Osbourne tour."

The original SABBATH lineup of Ozzy, Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward has not toured together since the summer of 2005, and last convened for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in early 2006.

In a 2010 interview with Sunday Mercury, Iommi said that he didn't rule out another reunion with Osbourne. Following the death of singer Ronnie James Dio last May, with whom Iommi had been working in the SABBATH offshoot HEAVEN & HELL, Iommi told Sunday Mercury, "I spoke to Ozzy while I was in Los Angeles after Ronnie's funeral . . . Ozzy and I have a complicated relationship but we've always kept in touch, no matter what else might have been going on. Would I play with Ozzy again? Who knows? It's weird with me and Ozzy."

Iommi added, "There can be all sorts of shit going on but when we talk, it's like nothing bad has ever happened."

SABBATH did try to record a new album 12 years ago, their first since 1978, but abandoned the attempt after just a couple of songs.

Ozzy filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

BLACK SABBATH "reunion" promotional photo (1999):

sabb_ozzy.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Well.. I feel kinda shitty and empty over that news .. But it is what it is.. It's been too long for them.. and last I heard was Bill Ward was NOT doing very well health wise.. But as a group.. They put out some classic albums.. There will only ever be one Black Sabbath.. The original line up..
black-sabbath-rock-band-001.jpg

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
People I guess still believe they will reunite this [2011] year, that's why we see that statement.
I am going to wait for next year once Ozzy finish his Scream tour for more.
Never ever, never say no.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
People I guess still believe they will reunite this [2011] year, that's why we see that statement.
I am going to wait for next year once Ozzy finish his Scream tour for more.
Never ever, never say no.

Well lets just do like some people do and start a rumor that the original Black Sabbath will play next years Superbowl..:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Even though I don't watch the halftime show at the SB it is a good platform for any artist to take advantage of the 1 Billion+ viewers that tune in to the game.

As far as Geezer putting the kibosh on any reunion this year, or the foreseeable future, when dealing with Ozzy that is part of life, he is nothing if not erratic and eccentric.

If they can get together in a couple of years and knock out some good songs and make a decent album then that is all you can hope for. I think that one reason their last attempt failed in the studio is because of their legacy, they will never supplant their early albums when they were in their prime and everything they do now will inevitably be compared to that period.

Perhaps in the long run it's better if they just leave Sabbath where it is and enjoy the status of being in one of the most influential bands in modern rock music history.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
If they ever did another album together and they want to live up to their past?

Play it simple...half hour to 40 minutes for the entire disc, stripped down production, catchy riffs. Alot of bands try too hard to out do their past and it turns into a mess...a real cluster sometimes and just too darn long (too much information).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I was thinking of an "Acoustic" instrument Sabbath album myself MP...I hate the term "unplugged" though, bands have been doing alternative takes on their music a long time before MTV came along and tagged it with that name.

Sort of a Sabbath meets Apocalyptica kind of album...I am sure that reads funny though. :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The old saying is......"Never say Never"........

It is strange Geezer is putting out any press at all. Makes me wonder if all the 'buzz' about a future reunion could end up being true in the end.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I think it's good that Geezer sounded off, it let's people know the other side of the story when Ozzy fires off a whimsical statement about Sabbath and anything to do with the old band.

I am somewhat saddened to hear that Ward is not doing well...:( That would put a permanent end to all this speculation if he isn't part of the reunion.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online