The Who....some1 please explain...

EJP715

Reaction score
I'm a somewhat new classic rock listener. Born in '77, I was born in a time with good music. Fav's are Cream, Led, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, early Aerosmith, Jimi, Stones & I'm still discovering other great bands.

I have a good number of The Who's albums but I really can't see what the big deal is with this band. The talent is definitely there. Keith Moon, 1 of my fav drummers of all time. I'm not gonna say they suck cuz I know they don't. But I'm just not feeling their music too much. Mainly Baba O Riley & Who Are You are my favorite tunes. I definitely would check them out LIVE since their on tour right now but it's just since I've never seen them before. I'm obviously missing something here because I know their like the top 3 to top 5 greatest rock bands ever. So someone with knowledge, please fill me in!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey maybe it's just your personal preference.

I really don't get what the big deal is about the Rolling Stones. They just don't do it for me, although I appreciate a lot of their stuff.

I really like The Who but they're not in my top ten bands, maybe my top 15. My two favorite Who albums are Live at Leeds and The Who Sell Out.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Well, based on your list I'd think you're more into bands bordering on a hard rock edge. I've never considered The Who to be that, and a lot of people consider them to be more punky. A lot of their music, especially their earlier tunes, are pretty similar to what the Beatles did in their earlier days as well, a little on the poppy upbeat side. I'd recommend listening to Who's Next in its entirety and if you want some good live material, Live at Leeds. If that doesn't seal the deal I'm not sure what will. ;)

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
I don't think you're "missing something". I like the "Who's Next" album and a few other songs here and there, but they are certainly not one of my favorite bands.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I LOVE The Who...no reason really. They just sound good to me.

Also I moved the thread here to the LOUNGE so it might be seen more.

:grinthumb

EJP715

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh!!!! Glad to see I'm not the only one. They do have a few tunes I do like & btw, I definitely need to get my hands on that Live @ Leeds album. I keep hearing people recommend. It might just be that maybe I'm not in the mood to listen to it when I listen to it because for a quick second I didn't see the big deal about......can't believe I'm gonna say it but I even thought the same thing about Cream at 1 point. But now their 1 of my favorites. So I'm gonna reallyyyyyyyyy listen to their stuff again & give it another go. And yesssssssss I thought the same thing about the Stones @ 1 point but I do like them. Guess its because maybe they kinda have a "pop" feel to it & my main taste are a little more heavy. But I'm definitely gonna give them another go.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
The Who is a really good band... I think they're more notable for their rock "opera" albums like "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" to most fans. The former I couldn't really take as a whole. They are one of the better concert groups around well at least in full form with the original line-up. Their shows are not predicated on showcase solos or acoustic numbers. Just plain rock and roll. Was there for their San Diego concert in 1982... Very memorable.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I'm a somewhat new classic rock listener. Born in '77, I was born in a time with good music. Fav's are Cream, Led, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, early Aerosmith, Jimi, Stones & I'm still discovering other great bands.

I have a good number of The Who's albums but I really can't see what the big deal is with this band. The talent is definitely there. Keith Moon, 1 of my fav drummers of all time. I'm not gonna say they suck cuz I know they don't. But I'm just not feeling their music too much. Mainly Baba O Riley & Who Are You are my favorite tunes. I definitely would check them out LIVE since their on tour right now but it's just since I've never seen them before. I'm obviously missing something here because I know their like the top 3 to top 5 greatest rock bands ever. So someone with knowledge, please fill me in!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Which Who albums do you have?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Who are notorious for concept albums and rock opera's. It is very difficult to "pluck" a song out of an album and say the song is good........you have to experience the entire album and the concept of the album. A good appreciation for symphonic rock would also be helpful.

Pete Townsend is an excellent songwriter....even some of The Who's early hits are classic. example:

"I Can See For Miles" & "My Generation" & "Boris the Spider"

Boris the Spider just may be the very first song to display the "Growl" that has become so popular amongst today's metal bands ;)

EJP715

Reaction score
The 1's I have:
My Generation, A Quick One, The Who Sell Out (Is this 1 even an album??? LOL), Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia (This 1 I liked), Who Are You, Face Dances & It's Hard.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online