The Moody Blues (Official Thread)

snowblue

Reaction score
Re: The New Moody Blues Thread

I love the Have You Heard/The Voyage/Have You Heard segment.

Abraxas

Reaction score

You are giving me another case of "Concert Envy", Sox...:D

Time for my personal favorite Moodies album. "On The Threshold Of A Dream", released in 1969 and this time because of the commercial success of the previous two albums Decca allowed them all the time they wanted to record this one. No pressure from constant touring so they used all the experiences they got touring the States with Cream and wrote all new material for the record, they had a few songs leftover from "Days...and Lost Chord..." but felt they weren't strong enough to record them. I like the "Rockin" feel that side one has on "Threshold..", that was definitely a by-product of playing with Cream to write tighter more up tempo songs that would play well in front of a live audience and they certainly succeeded in my book. Side two of the record was a little more like their early works, which I also like so it's the best of both worlds. The band was growing and yet still had what attracted me to them in the first place.

To Share Our Love.

rt28hd.jpg

25jksbo.jpg

This is their ultimate classic, imo. If I was allowed only one Moody Blues album On The Threshold Of A Dream would be it. Are You Sitting Comfortably and Never Comes The Day are two of my most fave tracks off the album. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I have to agree Abraxas, there is something about that record that makes it special to me. I love the band and they have a very strong catalog especially their early material but "Threshold..." I am on my 4th copy of that one now.:grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score

^^I have to agree Abraxas, there is something about that record that makes it special to me. I love the band and they have a very strong catalog especially their early material but "Threshold..." I am on my 4th copy of that one now.:grinthumb

:grinthumb Indeed, the album really does takes you on a journey. It's like being in another time and place everytime I hear it.
I have the cd and the original vinyl album complete with lyric book which I found at a flea market. Whoever got rid of it is a fool.
Being a painter, I find the album art to be astounding. I like the fact that it ties in with the lyrics throughout the record. Even with that in mind, I find the painting mysterious and just plain awesome. I really wish I was the one who painted it. I would love to be the owner of the original painting.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Did you know that while the Moodies were on hiatus during 1974-1977, all 5 members recorded solo albums!

Ray Thomas:

1975 Recorded “From Mighty Oaks”

cover.jpg

1976 Recorded “Hopes, Wishes & Dreams”

rthowidr.jpg

John Lodge and Justin Hayward:

1975 Recorded a duet “Blue Jays”

bluejayszi2.jpg

John Lodge:

1977 Recorded “Natural Avenue”

10fxhtk.jpg

Justin Hayward:

1977 Recorded “Songwriter”

Justin_Hayward_Songwriter.jpg

Mike Pinder:

1976 Recorded “The Promise”

11j7j2o.jpg

Graeme Edge

1975 Recorded “Kick Off Your Muddy Boots”

51E46Gr1agL._SS400_.jpg

1977 Recorded “Paradise Ballroom”

geparbal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Paradise Ballroom is my favorite of all those albums. The Moodies were a talented bunch for sure.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes they were. Denny Laine, who played on the Moody Blues debut also had a fabulous music career not only with Wings, but solo as well. Denny is a multi-instrumentalist......and damn good at it :)

Abraxas

Reaction score

I used to have the Blue Jays album on vinyl but my copy got bad on me. Still a great record. :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

check out this old Justin Hayward & John Lodge video. This song was included on the 1987 remaster of "Blue Jays"

Abraxas

Reaction score

Cool vid. Thanks, Magic. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.