The Moody Blues (Official Thread)

snowblue

Reaction score
Re: The New Moody Blues Thread

jpwxed.jpg

I have this compilation album released in 1987. It's pre Days Of Future Passed but post Denny Laine. This was the early Hayward/Lodge days. Worth a listen.

Album tracks -

Fly Me High
Justin Hayward

I Really Haven't Got The Time
Mike Pinder

Leave This Man Alone
Justin Hayward

Love And Beauty
Mike Pinder

Cities
Justin Hayward

A Simple Game (A hit for the Four Tops)
Mike Pinder

Gimme' A Little Somethin'
John Lodge

Please Think About It
Mike Pinder

Long Summer Days
Justin Hayward

King And Queen
Justin Hayward

What Am I Doing Here
Justin Hayward

Late Lament (track on Days Of Future Passed)
Graeme Edge

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks for starting us off with their first albums Snowblue.

It is amazing the change in the band after Hayward and Lodge joined and I am glad they did.

Abraxas

Reaction score

The only two albums you mentioned that I don't own are Long Distance Voyager, and The Other Side of Life. I might have to look into those .:grinthumb

Pick up Long Distance Voyager as soon as you can. It's great from start to finish just like the classic seven.

Here's a video of Gemini Dream from that album.
I hope I'm posting this right:

Abraxas

Reaction score

I agree. But "To Our Children's Childen's Children" is perhaps my very favourite cover. I like those hieroglyphics.

:****:

Another classic album cover. :grinthumb I read in the Time Traveller box set (I may be wrong) that the hands were painted life size.
Another fave cover of mine is A Question Of Balance.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Long Distance Voyager

''Long Distance Voyager'' is an excellent album. A very popular album. It was their comback album. LDV hit #1 in the U.S. in 1981.

The Voice
Gemini Dream
22,000 Days
Talking Out of Turn
Meanwhile
Veteran Cosmic Rocker

all are great tunes. I loved this album and still do.

I'm a big Moodies fan. I've seen them 6 times in concert, once with the Long Island Philharmonic backing them, outdoors, under the stars, at Jones Beach on a warm summers night. What a concert experience. I have all the studio albums from 1967 - 1999?

Hard to explain, but to me, listening to The Moody Blues is like a high. The music gives you a buzz. The music just takes you to another place. Amazing music. Cosmic.

''Watching And Waiting'' is an amazing song...

Abraxas

Reaction score

Damn, I've never had the pleasure to see them in concert. I really would have loved to see them before Ray Thomas quit. This is the guy who wrote Legend Of A Mind! I can't picture anybody else singing that classic.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have picked up Long Distance Voyage and The Other Side of Life, but haven't played either one yet.

Keeping things moving(I admit I am distracted with the World Cup right now and am falling behind in here.:blush:)after Snowblue filled in the earlier releases comes an album that I feel is a masterpiece, and goes beyond just being a symphonic/progressive rock recording, but helped to advance the quality of recordings available in England as well. Of course I am talking about "Days of Future Past", likely the most famous and highly thought of record the Moodies ever made. Being released by Decca's fledgling experimental label, "Deram", it was a conscious attempt to bring Stereophonic vinyl records to the English market. Part of the story that adds to the accomplishment of this album was the fact the initial commercial success of the band was far below expectations, so being indebted to Decca the Moodies were "Convinced" to record for this new label, and the rest is history. Everyone knows "Night in White Satin", but this album is Made to be played in it's entirety, in order, the same as Pink Floyd's DSOTM. I love the creativity and instrumental wizardry the band displayed on this record, and recording with an orchestra was just the icing on the cake.

Tuesday Afternoon.

349cwec.jpg

2070ug6.jpg

Abraxas

Reaction score

Have you gotten the chance to hear Long Distance Voyager and The Other Side Of Life yet?

I agree that Days Of Future Passed is a masterpiece. Everything from the music and the album art (which inspired my painting "The Artist's Eye") goes hand in hand and who would've thought of making a concept album based on a day in the life of the everyday person? A very simple but a very effective concept. It's one of a handful of albums I can listen to from start to finish without getting bored. The poetry at the beginning and end of the album is another cool thing I like about it and The Moody Blues in general.
I read where the record label wanted them to record a rock version of Dvorak's New World Symphony and instead The Moodies took the opportunity to record the material they were working on in their live shows up to that point. Thank goodness The Moodies did it their way.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I agree and you got it right, they were asked to do that Symphony, but what they gave us instead is a classic for all time.

I haven't had time yet to play either one of the albums you recommended yet Abraxas, but i'll get to them eventually.:grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score

^^ When you get a chance, start with Long Distance Voyager first and then The Other Side. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online