"The door is always open for Steve Perry to join us on stage"-Neil Schon

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

JOURNEY Guitarist: STEVE PERRY Is Always Welcome Walk On Stage And Sing With Us - Aug. 21, 2011
Although current JOURNEY lead vocalist Arnel Pineda is a dead ringer vocally for former frontman Steve Perry, many of the band's fans long for a reunion between Perry and core members Neal Schon, Ross Valory, and Jonathan Cain.

In a recent interview with Artisan News, Schon was asked if JOURNEY would be open to the idea of Perry sharing the stage with Pineda for a few songs at an upcoming concert. "Arnel is totally down, and such a humble human being, that he would be overjoyed if Steve wanted to walk on stage and sing with us," Schon replied. "Honestly! He's not just saying that and then like, walking in the other room and [saying something different]. I've always let the door open. I made it a point, the last time I saw and even spoke to Perry, [which was] when we received [star on] the Hollywood Walk Of Fame [in 2005]. There were so many rumors going around that I hated him and that I'm the one that kicked him out of the band and blah blah blah, this and that. I wanted to make sure that people saw me asking him right there, 'If you ever feel like you would like to, and you'd like to come on stage, it's always an open door. Just come and jam. There's no pressure. We're not trying to get you back in the band. But if you just feel like having a blow and you wanna come by and sing, it's there."

When Jonathan Cain was asked if JOURNEY ever thought to asking Perry to rejoin the band, rather than finding the perfect sound-alike vocalist, the keyboard player replied, "No, because he really sealed the deal back in '98 and said, 'Don't expect anything from me, y'know, we're done. You and I are done,'" he said. "So I know that he keeps his word and I would not make that call because I know that he's quite happy with the life he has. And it's pretty rigorous out here. What we do is very rigorous, and he doesn't need it. Why does he need it, you know? His legacy is already there."

Cain told The Pulse of Radio that the band feels totally secure with Pineda, following the loss of Perry's original replacements Steve Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto. "I think we really looked long and hard at what we had accomplished and we didn't wanna slide backwards at all," he said. "Since '98, trying to recreate the brand and give the people the kind of shows that we'd hoped for. And when you lose a guy like Steve (Augeri), who was a tremendous team player, and y'know, Jeff Scott steps up and kinda helps us out there. But, y'know, his sound wasn't for us and then later on, I think his personality wasn't for us."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Does Steve Perry do anything anymore..? You know does he tour with his own band now or just pop up once in a blue moon for a show and then slip back into the shadows?

Listening to the new Journey album, reading what Schon and Cain have said I agree with them they are right where they want to be and want to keep going for now.

Maybe down the road when Journey is slowing down or retired would be a good time for a special reunion show with Perry.

I won't hold my breath though.;)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
How gracious of them to allow the band's most famous member to guest on a track or two. xD

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It probably won't happen, especially if Steve can't perform at the high levels he used to.

While I agree a vocalist is usually the signature sound of a band, in this case I think Neal Schon is the most famous member of Journey, he was there Before Perry and kept the band going after their split.

Better to be forgiving and leave the door open than be mean spirited and nurture an old grudge indefinitely.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
^^It probably won't happen, especially if Steve can't perform at the high levels he used to.

While I agree a vocalist is usually the signature sound of a band, in this case I think Neal Schon is the most famous member of Journey, he was there Before Perry and kept the band going after their split.

Better to be forgiving and leave the door open than be mean spirited and nurture an old grudge indefinitely.

I really have no idea how popular anyone in Journey is. I just figured that since Steve was the vocalist and he even had a somewhat successful solo career, I'd reckon he's the most popular.

Journey was definitely thriving before Steve ever came into the mix... 'Course it's not like they went back to their old sound when he left, so they're still milking his work with the band more than anything else, iyam.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^People would be surprised at early Journey before the Perry era, they were much more of a prog band than an easy going softer rock band who's ballads made them famous.

But if they want to play the classic old songs for their fans, and some new material then all the power to them.

runtfan

Reaction score
Journey was definitely thriving before Steve ever came into the mix... 'Course it's not like they went back to their old sound when he left, so they're still milking his work with the band more than anything else, iyam.

Well, Journey was thriving musically but not really commercially. They were on the verge of being dropped from the label when Steve Perry joined.

Fever

Reaction score
I really have no idea how popular anyone in Journey is. I just figured that since Steve was the vocalist and he even had a somewhat successful solo career, I'd reckon he's the most popular.

Steve barely had a solo career-two albums and maybe a couple of hits..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Fever you have seen so many of the older bands over the last few years, does Steve Perry even play at all anymore?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I still hear his hit all the time though. Granted they also play Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait" every night. And they used to spin Eddie Brickel and 4 Non Blondes nightly too...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online