Tell us about your stereo!

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
If you are looking for a "Quality" turntable at a fair price then I would look at Pro-Ject's line. They make some excellent gear and they are better than any of the cheap "USB" knock offs out there.

Check out their homepage. Pro-Ject Audio Systems

Fisher has stood the test of time, and still has a loyal following on vintage stereo boards. What kind of amplifier/receiver do you have 1,340flh?
The Sharp is the head unit/component system/amp is dated from back in 93.Would like to get ahold of a quality Fisher system to match the speakers but time&$ is my holdback

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I've seen a lot of old vintage Fisher gear available at a fair price in my travels 1340flh, so when you get past the "holdup" have faith and shop around sometimes you can find treasure that people don't know the value of, a little clean-up lubricate the switches and the receiver/amp should serve you for years without any problems.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Paradigm 20.v's a couple of weeks ago. After a little break in I can not believe how good these things are. I had gone back and forth from B&W to the 20's for a few months and finally made the plunge, couldn't be happier. Now I have a pair of Hales Rev 3's for my son which he will crank when he graduates in a couple of years.
The .V's are a great match for my Classe amp, way more so than the Hales. Hales are a little laid back , but the V's are very lean from the mid bass up.

I have two pairs of Paradigms myself Taha.

Last time I visited Audio Ark the owner was telling me that back in the early 90's his store received a massive shipment of replacement drivers from Paradigm, because they are such a high volume distributor and have a tech on staff to fix what they sell which is great. Anyway the quality of the speakers has been so phenomenal he says they still have 90% of the replacement drivers stored in the back room, another reason that company has maintained it's stature in the Hi-Fi world for a long time now.

Another tidbit, they do manufacture a lot of the stuff in China now, sadly. But it turned out that when it came to their top of the line speaker, it would have been cheaper/better to have continued to build them in Ontario. The factory was already there, the people highly skilled and motivated and they made a mistake moving them offshore.

Hopefully they move back where they belong sooner rather than later.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
If I won the lottery, the first thing that I would buy would be the greatest music system and headphones known to man.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would do the same CREAM'd, I love messing around with old vintage gear and the latest stuff too.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Finally found someone who knows the old 70's/80's Yamaha vintage equipment and am taking my beautiful CA-810 for a complete upgrade. New capacitors, new power supply, and LED's to replace the miniature bulbs as well. Maybe one of the Alps pots needs replacing but when it's all said and done for about $250+ it's worth it to me. These old receivers/integrated amps sound fantastic with analog equipment and there is no problem selling them down the road if you have done a maintenance cycle.

Oh and about a month ago I got lucky, I was looking over Kijiji(Our Craiglist) and a guy two blocks away was selling his late 70's Pioneer receiver, this thing is a BEAST to quote George. When I get my Yamaha back then I will get this one done next, both sound fantastic and are worth taking care of.

Pioneer XS 950.

74ef1e9f_PIONEER-SX950-2.jpeg

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
On the subject of Paradigms, a good friend scored a pair of Reference Active 40s. Clean cosmetically with no performance issues. Sound quality was excellent and seamless regarless of material we played on it. With its integrated crossover and internal amps, there is no tweaking necessary. It did not have tall soundstage of my Martin Logans but it had the on point visceral impact of the best direct drivers I've ever listened across.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I saw a pair of new Martin Logan's that look identical to your's a few weeks ago, in Future Shop of all places. They are the original chain that was here before BB bought them out and took over, although they left a few stores in the big markets with the FS name on the front. I was very pleasantly surprised when I dropped in the south side store, their selection of audio gear was almost as good as my other 3 favorite shops. They put BB to shame in fact when it comes to speakers.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Time to chase the dust bunnies out of here.

Been thinking about a modest Tube amp, saw one today about $500 and puts out 25 watts/channel. Might be a good match for my new monitors, not sure if I'd get a new preamp right off, might use the 810's front end first to see how that sounds.

If I get a Tube amp, I'm ordering a pair of each of the tubes as well, there is no point waiting to get them later, tubes burn out it's the single biggest reason integrated amps took over in the late 60's with transistors etc.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online