Tell us about your stereo!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You keeping your Mirage's then George?

Ordered another fantastic little gadget last week, should be on it's way tomorrow from the US.

I'll post the picture when it arrives, something every vinyl lover should have and this one knocked my socks off when I saw it.:tup:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
You keeping your Mirage's then George?

Ordered another fantastic little gadget last week, should be on it's way tomorrow from the US.

I'll post the picture when it arrives, something every vinyl lover should have and this one knocked my socks off when I saw it.:tup:
Yep, Bruce...they have been relegated to bedroom duty. The towers have small footprints so they don't really take up much room. Love them too much to give them up...

200806_mirage_omd15.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this new toy you speak of... :D

The MLs passed the Sabbath crunch test. Listened to disc 1 of the ELO "Strange Magic" compilation. Very transparent with Lynne and co's multi layered recordings...the choruses, synths and the strings having plenty of air to for themselves. Crazy how I can turn up the dial but it doesn't seem loud or "non-fatiguing" as they call it in audio reviews.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
They look really nice,,,I'm the same I have a hard time parting with some of my collection. I've been thinking about posting a picture of the entire "family" one of these days...about half my stuff is still packed but I should take everything out and give it a cleaning and a listen one of these days.

I'm sure there would be all kinds of comments if I do post a picture of the lot...:blush:

:D

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^Yes, it is tough to off some nice equipment BUT to me if that model has been upgraded then it isn't so bad. Thing is that nowadays compromises have to be made to cut costs to fit in new features. Not a good thing for AV processors. Two channel units on the other hand do not have to deal much with obsolescence save whether to add sub outs or not as well inclusions of a phono and headphone amp.

Talked to a Parasound rep yesterday about some issues. First, I wanted to know if leaving the amp on is really logical. Second, since I'm using only four of the six channels was I tapping into more power reserves? The long tenured rep told me that it is OK to turn it off when not in usage as it warms up very quick and there is no damage that can happen since it has a "soft" clip that regulates the incoming current. On the second, I was told it was yes. Since only four channels are using the big transformer it was estimated that it was putting out another 10 to 15% increase in watts per channel.

I'll most likely move up to this when the opportunity presents itself:

hca2205atsm.jpg
hca2205atbs.jpg

It will give MORE headroom than the 1206 for the MLs...unless I run into a Sunfire. :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That's a nice looking Beast of an amp George. You sure you need the extra power?

:heheh:

Saw some great deals on one of our audiophile forums last night, I was very tempted to buy one receiver in particular, but many of these sales are limited to the Greater Toronto area and they won't ship to us Colonists out west.:mad

Sigh,,,I am tempted to fly down east and spend a few days playing tourist and scooping up the great deals on vintage equipment...then I realize I am already knee deep in stereo equipment and the plan is to Reduce the hoard not enlarge it.:bonk:

But whenever I see something I covet at a great price I'm tempted to buy it anyway...yeah it's an addiction.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^Bruce...sell some of your gear, buy MORE high quality LPs. :) I don't trust the current receivers any more at least the AV kind. The older gear had beefier innards and transformers. Nowadaze, to install newer features they cut down on amps, quality of connectors and more importantly the power supply. You can tell alone by the weight as they seem to get lighter and lighter...

I know someone on an impulse drove down to Frisco to pick up a vintage gear. Turned out to be very nice too BUT any non-gearhead would have questioned his sanity. Yeah, I would want a powerful amp just to get THE most headroom I can muster.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've got a shipment of HQ vinyl coming from Pennsylvania next week George.:D

I am talking about vintage equipment, I have a nice top of the line Marantz for my DVD/Surround system, movies only basically and it's a beast more power than I'll ever need.

It was a Yamaha CR 1020 for about $500, power supply upgraded and recapped as well, but she won't ship it, pick up Only which pissed me off.

I will be selling stuff in September, going to hurt to part with some of it but I have so much it's getting out of hand.

Headroom is important especially for beauties like your ML's. I always laugh when I see these adds for Sony receivers blathering about 100 watts,,,my little Rotel integrated only puts out 30 watts, but those are Real watts, because it has a nice amount of headroom.;)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^Marantz is now a sister company to Denon but I find their products more musical than the latter. Sonys are NOTORIOUS for overstating their WPCs. It could be true for two channels driven. All 7? Nah, probably less than half. Marantz aren't in that schmiel. Theirs run about 30% less than the specs but that is ALL channels driven. Most of their receivers on a test bench go OVER the ratings on two channel outputs. The one maker that has TRUE ratings on their specs? Harman Kardon. High current juice too...not the piddly stuff.

Parasounds for a above the middle maker puts out neutral, sweet sounding amps especially the older ones in the HCA line. Heavy, industrial, no frills looking ones. The unit I pictured gives out 300 on 4 ohms per channel. On Sunfires, they have a rail voltage configuration that doubles the output from 8 to 4 ohms. A friend alerted me to a five channel one that has 405 on 8 and 810 on 4. The only caveat with that is that the noise floor is higher but I don't have ears THAT sensitive to pick up on it. 1620 per speaker? Aaahh, the possibilities.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I bought the Marantz from one of my favorite shops last winter, got it for a very good price and it has more capacity than I'll ever use. Didn't know they were part of Denon now, the first run of these were built in Japan, but mine has Made in China on the back...if I had bought the first run then it would be Japanese built.

My old 4B put out massive amounts of power, the same into any load you put on it, sometimes I miss it but I don't play my music very loud anymore so I let it go ten years ago.

I'm sure that amp you are looking at will give you all the performance you need.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online