Symphonic Prog

joe

Reaction score
This is a list of Mexican symphonic rock bands of which I am aware. I cannot recommend them all, as I have not heard them all, but most are pretty good. Sorry, I cannot be more specific:

Caja De Pandora
Cast
Codice
Cronico
Flüght
Galie
Govea
Jacques Menache
Marco
Saena
Toccata

I did some digging on these bands and I ended up D/L Alba y ocaso by Codice and ripping it to three CD-Rs. Some gorgeous acoustic strings and wonderful winds and drenched in some excellent keyboard work. The vocals are very limited which is probably a good thing as I have hard time with foriegn language vocals. Two hours and it kept me engaged right through the end. Sure lifted my spirits yesterday on a windy, rainy, chill to the bone day.:)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Codice are highly rated in PA's database. Cast are very good. Caja de Pandora are pretty good, if you can track them down. I've been listening to Grobschnitt's Rockpommel's Land for the first time. They are a German band which sound a bit like Yes with strange vocals.

joe

Reaction score
Codice are highly rated in PA's database. Cast are very good. Caja de Pandora are pretty good, if you can track them down. I've been listening to Grobschnitt's Rockpommel's Land for the first time. They are a German band which sound a bit like Yes with strange vocals.

I read the reviews over at PA Big Ears and that was my reasoning for downloading the album. I'll check out Cast and Caja de Pandora in the near future. Thanx for the recommendations.

I have Rockpommel's Land on vinyl though it has been some time since I listened to it. I'll pull 'er out and give 'er a listen in the coming days.

joe

Reaction score
Tell me what you think, as I cannot make up my mind.

I gave 'er a listen last night. I found it entertaining in thier story of "Ernie" as times there was some quirky lyrics I found fun and it was refreshing to see a prog band have a sence of humour which isn't too common. I didn't mind the vocals though in a couple places I did find it dischording. Very similar sound to that of Yes and Genesis from that time era. The Roger Dean cover does complement the band's story and theme. Only one problem in that the vinyl had a skip on the first side. Oh well.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I didn't mind the vocals though in a couple places I did find it dischording. Very similar sound to that of Yes and Genesis from that time era. The Roger Dean cover does complement the band's story and theme.

Thanks for the comments. I pretty much found the same. I'll keep listening to see if I can get into the album/band.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Grobschnitt are great. Another good german 'symphonic' band is Hoelderlin. Ring any bells?

I saw Joe talking about Andalusian Prog. Like Mezquita and Triana?

joe

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I pretty much found the same. I'll keep listening to see if I can get into the album/band.

Your welcome. I also listened to the UK prog band Spring's s/t debut from 1971 last night. I found it rather confusing and inconsistent. I don't know if you have the album or not. A band I would recommend is Affinty's s/t debut from 1970. Fantastic female vocals. Rather an eclectic blend of psych/jazz-fusion/heavy prog and some brass. Excellent.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I haven't heard Hoelderlin, Spring or Affinity. I have read a lot about Linda Hoyle, the singer with Affinity, as they were signed to Vertigo, along with Gnidrolog, T2, etc, and despite being highly rated she disappeared almost without trace.

Spring, I have not heard at all. I know Hoelderlin are highly rated, like Grobschnitt. The latter's live album is supposed to be good, but I have only heard Rockpommel. Another band I've heard a lot about, but never heard, is Jonesy.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online