Symphonic Prog

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Is there a symphonic prog thread here (I couldn't find one by using search)? If not, then I'm starting one with this post. Although I do not like categorizing into sub-genres much, as a Yes and ELP fan it is probably my favourite.

There seems to be a lot of symphonic progressive rock bands in south America, particularly Brazil. But does anyone know anything about the Mexican symphonic progressive rock bands. I have not heard much from them, but what I've heard sounds pretty good, ie. Cast.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
Is there a symphonic prog thread here (I couldn't find one by using search)? If not, then I'm starting one with this post. Although I do not like categorizing into sub-genres much, as a Yes and ELP fan it is probably my favourite.

There seems to be a lot of symphonic progressive rock bands in south America, particularly Brazil. But does anyone know anything about the Mexican symphonic progressive rock bands. I have not heard much from them, but what I've heard sounds pretty good, ie. Cast.

I don't think there's a general symphonic prog thread as there is specific artists threads.

I have a handful of SA prog albums but more in the prog folk/Andean vein like Flor de Loto, Los Jaivas and Supay and some modern prog/metal, space/psych and jazz fusion. Bubu's Anabelas comes to my mind first when I think of SA prog. There is some threads here that are of SA artists.

I'd be all ears to hear some of your SA symph prog suggestions. I'm basically ignorant when comes this region. Know more Spanish prog/Andalusian rock, but not much more.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of symphonic prog and symphonic metal to be a little more vague. Ayreon and Nightwish are two that come to mind, though I guess that is more specifically symph metal than symph prog. Wintersun, and Kamelot are two pretty good ones if you want to listen to more of the prog side.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This is a list of Mexican symphonic rock bands of which I am aware. I cannot recommend them all, as I have not heard them all, but most are pretty good. Sorry, I cannot be more specific:

Caja De Pandora
Cast
Codice
Cronico
Flüght
Galie
Govea
Jacques Menache
Marco
Saena
Toccata

joe

Reaction score
This is a list of Mexican symphonic rock bands of which I am aware. I cannot recommend them all, as I have not heard them all, but most are pretty good. Sorry, I cannot be more specific:

Caja De Pandora
Cast
Codice
Cronico
Flüght
Galie
Govea
Jacques Menache
Marco
Saena
Toccata

I'll do some digging on these bands.:cheers2

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I'll do some digging on these bands.:cheers2

Thank you, joe. A couple of years ago, I came across some bands, with free downloadable samples, on the Evergrey label website. Unfortunately, this site was archived for a while and then disappeared. I attempted some digging on the label, but without much success; possibly because they changed their name and there is also a group called Evergrey which makes things confusing.

I recently listed a number of symphonic progressive rock bands, by country of origin, on my blog. There are undoubtedly omissions. One of the problems with categorizing is that people will always disagree on what constitutes symphonic. For example, a band like ELP is symphonic, but they are heavy too.

joe

Reaction score
Thank you, joe. A couple of years ago, I came across some bands, with free downloadable samples, on the Evergrey label website. Unfortunately, this site was archived for a while and then disappeared. I attempted some digging on the label, but without much success; possibly because they changed their name and there is also a group called Evergrey which makes things confusing.

I recently listed a number of symphonic progressive rock bands, by country of origin, on my blog. There are undoubtedly omissions. One of the problems with categorizing is that people will always disagree on what constitutes symphonic. For example, a band like ELP is symphonic, but they are heavy too.

I did check out your blog a few days ago. Well done. Something I always wanted to do but I don't think have the tech skills (and the patience) to do so.

BTW, my sentiments exactly on your thoughts and feelings on PA in your introduction.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I did check out your blog a few days ago. Well done. Something I always wanted to do but I don't think have the tech skills (and the patience) to do so.

BTW, my sentiments exactly on your thoughts and feelings on PA in your introduction.

If I can set up a blog, anyone can! I just went to www.blogger.com and followed the online instructions. Honestly, it is that easy with Blogger.

PA have their advantages, such as the comprehensive database, reviews, sub-forums and large number of members - so I still visit. There is another site beginning with the letter 'P' which does not have sub-forums, so they are inconsistent as to what they allow to be posted. I still visit them, but decided not to post anymore. In fairness to the prog sites, I did not find many of the rock sites any more useful.

In any case, I'm a heavy rock fan and find it difficult to draw a distinction between ELP on the one hand and Budgie on the other.

joe

Reaction score
If I can set up a blog, anyone can! I just went to www.blogger.com and followed the online instructions. Honestly, it is that easy with Blogger.

PA have their advantages, such as the comprehensive database, reviews, sub-forums and large number of members - so I still visit. There is another site beginning with the letter 'P' which does not have sub-forums, so they are inconsistent as to what they allow to be posted. I still visit them, but decided not to post anymore. In fairness to the prog sites, I did not find many of the rock sites any more useful.

In any case, I'm a heavy rock fan and find it difficult to draw a distinction between ELP on the one hand and Budgie on the other.

Maybe I'll give the blog a shot.

I still visit PA forums also but very seldom post. Thier database and reviews have been indispensable over the years.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online