Votes: 4 13.8%
  • The Fat Man ('49)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Rocket 88 ('51)

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

50sRock50s

Reaction score
As part of a project, I want people's opinions on the first rock and roll song. You have five choices, and if you don't think any of them are rock and roll, just choose the one that you think is closest to rock and roll. Also, make sure this is YOUR opinion, and that you give reasoning behind your answer. Here are Youtube videos for each song:

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - That's All Right (1946)

Wynonie Harris - Good Rockin' Tonight (1948)

Jimmy Preston - Rock The Joint (1949)

Fats Domino - The Fat Man (1949, after Rock The Joint)

Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats - Rocket 88 (1951)

ceejayqb

Reaction score
I noticed you have Wynonie Harris - Good Rockin' Tonight but this song was originally written and recorded by Roy Brown who had a hit with the song before Harris. To be fair Harris' version is the better of the two. I also have it by Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, The Treniers, Buddy Holly & Jerry Lee Lewis.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This subject will always be open for debate.........who made the first rock song....

From the list offered, I chose That's All Right Mama by Crudup. I read somewhere that this song actually contains the first ever guitar solo.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
My vote goes to That's All Right. I think all 5 have their own elements of the early stages of rock and roll, but That's All Right hits RnR from start to finish. If the date you have listed is correct, then of these 5, it definitely was the first.

As for the first true-blue RnR song, there's no way to truly narrow that down to one single song.

TheYoungMan

Southern Man
Reaction score
Well, for me That's all right and Good rockin' tonight are blues song, in the style of Willie Dixon. Well, they mey be in the border with rock, of course, but if you put me these songs, I just say they're blues.

I think Rock the joint is an actual rock tune, so I don't need to listen more. For me, is the first one. That, I-III-V-VI-vii riff in the I, IV and V grades it's just pure rock'nroll (you can hear it in some Elvis songs, such as Jailhouse rock, or in the bass of Beach Boys' Barbara Ann).

I don't know if this is correct, but for me this riff is absolutly RnR, meanwhile the previou songs are just some 'quickie-blues'. What's your opinion on this point?? I want to know it... just feel I can't stop learning and I'm too young to feel that I know more than any other one :)

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
girly_zps60d6674a.gif
"Rock The Joint" by Jimmy Preston (1949)

Three out of these five choices are really good, straight-up blues tunes. Rock The Joint and Rocket 88 are the only two I hear something other than blues, and more in Rock The Joint.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.