Strip 'em -- Most Overplayed Songs {closed}

Status
Not open for further replies.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I thought Stairway would take the title, it would get my vote for most overplayed song on FM radio in history, perhaps not so much these days but back in the 70's alone it wasn't even close.

Just my opinion, all of the ones that made it to the last 10 could have been the last one standing.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I think the times have long since shifted for Stairway. I hear from music fans that have a few more years than me how overplayed it is and how they can never listen to it anymore but I almost never hear it on the radio. "Rock and Roll", "Black Dog", "Whole Lotta Love", and even the lengthy "Kashmir" get a lot more airtime out of Zeppelin's catalog than Stairway does. My guess is that the station DJs probably avoid playing it out of that overplayed mentality.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's ironic, my older brother bought a new truck a few months back and it came with a satellite FM package free for 6 months. Among the stations is one out of Cleveland Ohio, connected to the RRHOF I think...from what the DJ's say when they're on.

Anyway it's a vinyl station they play old albums the way disc jockeys did for a generation before digital came along. For the first few trips it was really enjoyable, but then their play list started to become so repetitive I finally lost interest. It's ridiculous they have the whole album in their hands but only play the same song over and over again. I heard a Stones song 4 times in one day.:wtf: And the same again the next day.

Damned shame when so many deep cuts go unappreciated.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Damned shame when so many deep cuts go unappreciated.
You totally right. There's so many great songs in the world (at that, not only from extreme metal, but quite radio-format styles), which never will sounding on a radio. It's just beastliness. Stupid radio, stupid DJ-s, stupid listeners, stupid world. :hp:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You totally right. There's so many great songs in the world (at that, not only from extreme metal, but quite radio-format styles), which never will sounding on a radio. It's just beastliness. Stupid radio, stupid DJ-s, stupid listeners, stupid world. :hp:

I agree with you North.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sweet Home Alabama...I crown thee thy winner. As much as I love thee, I hear ye on the radio every damn day.

21. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

I figured this would win...either this or Stairway......

Stairway still gets played but not nearly as often as it use to, or maybe I am just numb to the song and block it out......

@LG. Deep cuts is why I started the underplayed strip ;)

Aero

Reaction score
:heheh: .... and I am sick to death of hearing it too.

Amazing that they play it so much in Australia as I thought it was a US thing.

I'm in California and I swear I hear it almost every time I have the radio on. I can only imagine how often they play it down in the deep south. Probably every hour, on the hour.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Zepped Out...

I think the times have long since shifted for Stairway. I hear from music fans that have a few more years than me how overplayed it is and how they can never listen to it anymore but I almost never hear it on the radio. "Rock and Roll", "Black Dog", "Whole Lotta Love", and even the lengthy "Kashmir" get a lot more airtime out of Zeppelin's catalog than Stairway does. My guess is that the station DJs probably avoid playing it out of that overplayed mentality.
This... Cos nailed my opinion on this urban radio myth. Yeah, I hear Sweet Home Alabama all the time. Kid Rock used its main riff for his last hit song whatever that is and it was also in Nicolas Cage's "Con Air" flick...

I'll stop by my local Guitar Center and ask if I can play it... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online