Stories - About Us (1973)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
OK!! We had a poll that involved the song Brother Louie and I had mentioned that this would be the weakest track off the album imo, and that the rest of About Us sounded nothing like it. A couple members seemed to take intrest so I thought I would jot down a word or two regarding this classic from 1973!!

51AZFX4NTJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This was their second CD/Album and was produced by Eddie Kramer. Singer songwriter Ian Lloyd spoke of the band's success with Brother Louie: "All of a sudden we had a big hit with a song that did not represent our music and the direction we were trying to go in. I didn't think it would affect me that much, but it did. Consequently, I decided that I had to remove myself from that, so that I could come back and show what I really can do."

The album was issued without the single and later a new version was issued with the single.

So let's get to some of the other music.

DARLING

Great great song with a haunting melody!! I could name many elements but this is just a beautiful opener and stands alone as a band that is out to be and sound original.

Don't Ever Let Me Down

A very cool bluesy rocker...with a great shuffle beat!

Love Is In Motion

Another nice easy going tune with great words and a wonderful spirit!

Hey France

A really cool rocker with great usage of the mellotron and sitar. Sitting Laughing Smiling Smoking...great lyrics for the sitar section. At this point of the song I always picture a brightly colored room turning to black & dimly lit by candlelight within' that second!!

Please Please

Epic...just epic!! I love everything about this song. When the listener thinks the song is over I love how the melody of the chorus comes in with a single piano and voice. I also like how the song starts with the chorus and gets us right in with the hook.

Changes Has Begun

A real fun straight ahead rocker!! Great chorus and riff!!

Circles/ Believe Me

First half is Circles...a saloon like, cowboy, silent movie, western, instrumental tune married with jazz & swing. 2nd half...Believe Me..a mid tempo cool rocker with elements of early RUSH.

Words

A McCartney-ish tune with cellos,kettle drums,harpsichord...this is the albums Eleanor Rigby/For No One/Within Without You (Ian sounds a bit like Paul here)

Top Of The City

For those that want a straight out rocker...crack a cold one and have fun to this one...or take a drive into the city with the top down!

Down Time Blooze

Here we have some studio play...set up to sound like a bar...a blues band begins to play...and a fight breaks out...lasts about a minute and pretty cool.

What Comes After

My FAVORITE song on the album and I still get choked up when I hear it. The use of synth against piano here is stunning. The lyrics have always left me feeling a bit sad and cold on how I looked at the world or at my own faith in the future.

This was the final song on the album and a great closer...

But in the end...second pressings came out which included a song they really were not that keen on.

Brother Louie.

So I hope that shed some insight on a fine fine album with an "ok" single...but I hope many see here...that the "hit" is not always the song to count on...no matter how high it charts. :cheers2

51AZFX4NTJL._SS500_.jpg

I'll give the album 9/10 for including the single...if not...this would be an easy 10.

Reaction score
Re: Stories ~ About Us

You are definitely right about the rest of the album being better than Bro Louie:heheh:

Not that I don't like the track, but they are definitely capable of more, as proved by the rest, I have to listen a few more times, I'll say a bit more later on today:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I believe Stories really did slip right past me, MP. I am thankful for these reviews, it gives me a chance to catch up to what I slept thru in the 70's.

I reallllllly like Please Please, you're right it is Epic!

I also like Hey France :tup:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

It's nice to see others share in this. I've loved this album since I was a kid. At times I felt like I was the only one on my block that had a copy. This review was a labour of love to share a bit of that joy!

:grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Good thread MP!:grinthumb I have always been curious about STORIES because of the Starz connection .Richie Ranno.[ :bow:].of course . I dont know my facts but i think he joined STORIES after the second L.P ??
On to the album and the first thing that strikes me about the band is IAN LLOYDs classy vocals...the songs were pretty good too
I DIDNT know STORIES were big in the States...:bonk:.".Brother louie" hitting the number one spot in the early 70s...While over here in The U.K just a little earlier HOT CHOCOLATEs version of "Brother Louie" was a big success
Thanks again ....STARZ ROCKS!!!!:cheers:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Do I take it you had the STORIES albums ..before the STARZ??....Interesting..

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Funny enough I did own About Us before Starz...I must have been about 10 or so when I had my first copy.

I listened to alot of wild stuff as a kid...:heheh:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

STORIES sound a good inspiring 70s band.....im sure my buddies Sweaty and Sox would like them !

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Oh for sure...they fit into all those type of cool cult bands with ease.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online