Simon and Garfunkel (Official Thread)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There are a lot of Simon and Garfunkel boots (considering the few albums they released), which sound like good original recordings, but the mp3 rips seem to have a poor bitrate and life is too short for tracking down FLAC files!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I found a compilation of recordings from Simon and Garfunkel's formative years as Tom and Jerry and I was really excited to hear where they started. After dropping the needle and letting it sink in it was actually really disappointing. It's a very good thing that they changed up their style and song writing techniques because as teens they were very lack luster and run of the mill. To be fair though, they were still in high school so it's not fair to judge them too harshly since they were quite young and naive still.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I found a compilation of recordings from Simon and Garfunkel's formative years as Tom and Jerry and I was really excited to hear where they started. After dropping the needle and letting it sink in it was actually really disappointing. It's a very good thing that they changed up their style and song writing techniques because as teens they were very lack luster and run of the mill. To be fair though, they were still in high school so it's not fair to judge them too harshly since they were quite young and naive still.

I've never heard them as Tom & Jerry, so I'm guessing that their music was different to the later S&G? Kind of surprises me because Paul Simon had Poetic interests going back to his days in High School. Did T&J have nothing like that?

I've got some Brothers Gibb stuff from their early days as the Bee Gees here in Australia, and even though it's been a while since I've listened to that CD, their music and song writing abilities was very good for the Trio they were. Originally I thought it was going to be stuff like "Row your Boat", but it turned out to be much better than that. :oyea: So it seems for Brothers Gibb their music had matured from their early days, though it probably helped in their case having older brother Barry to write songs even though he would of have been in his Teens.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Early Bee Gee's are almost like a different band from the one that gave us Saturday Night Fever, which I do like...not all disco was bad contrary to popular belief.:peek

I never even heard of Tom & Jerry, except for the cartoon characters of course...from the sound of your summation they definitely improved as they grew older and more experienced.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
They definitely improved from their humble beginnings, I like their Tom & Jerry stuff but no where near as much as their later stuff. All artists have to start somewhere...

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^Early Bee Gee's are almost like a different band from the one that gave us Saturday Night Fever, which I do like...not all disco was bad contrary to popular belief.:peek

Indeed in the 60s The Bee Gees were another rival band for The Beatles to contend with and in the 70s with Disco being the trend, that's what The Bee Gees drove for. :D
Before The Bee Gees went back to the UK in January 1967 though (before Bee Gees' 1st), they had made 3 albums here in Australia and had their 1st hit song after leaving Australia (by Boat) with "Spicks and Specks" #4 Oct. 1966. The Albums they did here though were:

* The Bee Gees Sing and Play 14 Barry Gibb Songs - 1965
* Monday's Rain - 1966
* Turn Around, Look at Us - 1967

The music they did from those albums is similar to their later 60s stuff and they even did some Beatles songs, though they performed as a Trio while they were here in Australia. Shortly after making it back to the UK they recruited Vince Melouney and Colin Petersen and operated as a 5-piece band for those early UK album until early 1970, it was during that period they had a run of hits globally in Aust, UK & US.

I never even heard of Tom & Jerry, except for the cartoon characters of course...from the sound of your summation they definitely improved as they grew older and more experienced.

I don't know much about them and Hey Schoolgirl I think is the only T&J song I've heard about apart from that in their roles as Tom & Jerry, Tom was Art Garfunkel and Jerry was Paul Simon.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online

No members online now.