Simon and Garfunkel (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
^^No I didn't know about his very first solo album CP/M, I always thought "Rhymin..." was his first.

Oh no. He actually put out two albums before "Rhymin...". There is "The Paul Simon Songbook" that he put out '65 which CP/M is referring to that consists of songs Paul would record with Art later.

Paul-Simon-Songbook.jpg

And then he has a self titled that he put out after the duo broke up that was very well received by critics.

Paul-Simon-I.jpg

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Yes it was the "Paul Simon Songbook" I was thinking of from 1965. The track listing from that album is interesting, the only track I think that Simon & Garfunkel didn't do is track 9 "Side of a Hill" which Paul Simon wrote under a pseudonym as Paul Kane.

1. I am a Rock
2. Leaves That Are Green
3. A Church Is Burning
4. April Come She Will
5. The Sound of Silence
6. A Most Peculiar Man
7. He Was My Brother (Paul Kane)
8. Kathy's Song
9. The Side of a Hill (Paul Kane)
10. A Simple Desultory Philippic
11. Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall
12. Patterns

In 2004 the CD Reissue of that album had alternative versions of "I am a Rock" & "A Church Is Burning".

While "A Church Is Burning" wasn't featured on any Simon & Garfunkel studio albums (unless it's a rare track), Simon & Garfunkel performed it "Live From New York City, 1967". I'm unsure if Simon & Garfunkel did "The Side of a Hill" if they did, then it would have to be another Rarity.

But as I said earlier these tracks while S&G did many of them, they were alternative versions Paul Simon did from the UK, though as you can see it includes a bit from Wednesday Morning 3.A.M., Sounds of Silence & even a bit of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme.

Ok, last minute info I got here about "The Side of a Hill" is it became incorporated into the S&G track that we know as "Scarborough Fair/Canticle". :D

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
"Philipic" in particular is a wonderous folk-rock ballad worthy of some of the works of its obvious inspiration,Mr. Zimmerman.Most of the lyrics on the rest of the "Parley" disc can also much more than just pass for serious and cerebral poetry.The album's cover is classic photog depiction of the "flower power" spirit of its times.I've always thought Simon to be one of the four finest pop penners ever,along with Lennon,McCartney,and Elton John.(And by lyrical extension,Bernie Taupin)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Oh no. He actually put out two albums before "Rhymin...". There is "The Paul Simon Songbook" that he put out '65 which CP/M is referring to that consists of songs Paul would record with Art later.

Paul-Simon-Songbook.jpg

And then he has a self titled that he put out after the duo broke up that was very well received by critics.

Paul-Simon-I.jpg

Guess my little grey cells are almost useless these days Cosmic,,,:bonk:

On my honour I thought Rhymin' was his first solo record, it was certainly the first one we heard as youngsters and my friend's older brother had a copy which is when I listened to it for the first time. Bill was cool he let me and Robbie listen to his stereo/albums when he was at university, which also planted the seed for my addiction to hi-fi equipment which hasn't burned out 4 decades later.:peek

:heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
"Rhymin'..." had Paul's first solo hit so it's not that surprising that you it was the first solo record that got yours or most people's attention, LG. ;)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Paul Simon Box Collects All of His Albums

simon-Jim-Dyson.jpg

Source Link

Paul Simon will release a box set, ‘The Complete Albums Collection,’ which gathers all of his solo albums in a hefty 15-disc package. The set will be released on Oct. 15, two days after the singer-songwriter celebrates his 72nd birthday.

The set comprises 12 studio albums and two concert recordings released over a 45-year span, starting with 1965′s ‘The Paul Simon Song Book’ and running through 2011′s ‘So Beautiful or So What.’

Sandwiched in between are classic albums like his 1972 self-titled LP (which includes hits like ‘Mother and Child Reunion’ and ‘Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard’), 1975′s Grammy-winning ‘Still Crazy After All These Years’ and 1986′s groundbreaking ‘Graceland.’

Many of the records compiled on ‘Paul Simon — The Complete Albums Collection’ — which come in sleeves reproducing the original album art — will feature bonus tracks, including alternate versions, demo recordings and live tracks. More than three dozen bonus cuts are included.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Sounds good, I have nearly all his albums so will just pick up the ones I don't have but it sounds like a really good package.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Art's always had a singular/unique voice, but his solo albums weren't close to the quality of Paul's, or S & G's either. I was never tempted to buy any of his solo works.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online