Regina Spektor: Mother Russian's #1 Musical Export

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Jenji Kohan, creator of the hit Showtime series Weeds, has a new Netflix series called Orange is the New Black. Regina's music was featured a number of times on Weeds and now she was chosen for the theme song of this new series. Pretty cool song.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I bumped into her (not literally) a few months ago, while I was on musical trek in search of something fresh from the female alternative genre.

I like her a bunch. Some say she's all over the place, but I'd call it versatile. She's absorbed many different genres, so why shouldn't she have an eclectic repertoire?

Show me any musician today that hasn't been influenced by another artist, and I'll show you a completely original act.

Of all her stuff, I think I like the 'nightclub' stuff she does best.

Wasteside, Rejazz, Back Of A Truck, Love Affair, Mary Ann, etc., could all be dropped into the middle of a 1962 Dinah Washington set list.

I really like the campy feel of That Time.

How is a really, really beautiful piece of music. Right now, it's my favorite cut. Haven't heard everything yet, though.

I recently got (finally) purchased a full cd, (What We Saw), but haven't had the chance to absorb it.

Last edited:

Ragged Glory

Banned
Reaction score
Just picked up

613613BNRDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I definitely love her and feel that she looks pretty good from time to time but I just think that she looks terrible or at least somewhat unattractive there. Anyone get where I'm coming from? Most importantly though I do like that Album's music. Too bad there isn't any "alternate cover" (at least as far as what I've seen/heard) considering how unattractive I feel that she looks there, but who knows? A simple black cover or, even better, a cover of her in a live performance would've suited me just fine but what else can I say? I recently purchased "Begin To Hope" and love the cover and even more so the songs. It's just a great album. "Begin To Hope" is what I'd hope to hear her write songs more in that vain for years to come if she's still around that long. Hopefully for us fans she will be.:grinthumb

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Regina is, in my book, one of the most unique artists of the 00s. "Soviet Kitsch ", "Begin to Hope" and "Far" all rank up there among my favourite records of the the 00s. Her last album "What We Saw from the Cheap Seats" was great too, but "Far" was a damn difficult record to follow.

Anyway, she has a new one called "Remember Us to Life" coming out at the end of the month (30.9.16).

RememberUsToLife.jpg

Track list:

1. "Bleeding Heart"
2. "Older and Taller"
3. "Grand Hotel"
4. "Small Bill$"
5. "Black and White"
6. "The Light"
7. "The Trapper and the Furrier"
8. "Tornadoland"
9. "Obsolete"
10. "Sellers of Flowers"
11. "The Visit"

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:

12. "New Year"
13. "The One Who Stayed and the One Who Left"
14. "End of Thought"

I love the two news tracks, but I hope for some more purely piano-based tracks on this album too. I'd be very surprised and disappointed, if this album doesn't end up being one of my favourites of 2016.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Staff online

Members online